Taurus Quality

Kermit

I have been teaching my son how to shoot and I think he's ready for a 357/38 revolver. In the past, I would stay away from Taurus. My 2 experiences w/ this company's products have not been positive. But, now that I've been shopping around, I have been told quality has improved. Has it? Is Taurus worth a consideration or should I shop for a used Smith or Ruger?

No two people ever have the same take on Taurus. I own two older ones, a 357 mod 66 and the 44 mag mod 44. I have had no trouble whatsoever with either. And both have been shot a lot with rather heavy loads. Smith and Wessons are nicer, though.

I own two new Taurus Model 85 38 snubbies. One is Total Titanium, and the other is Stainless Steel. Both guns have performed perfectly so far. No complaints whatsoever.

my2taurus85s.jpg

Oh P.S., a friend of mine just bought his first gun which is a Taurus Model 85 Ultralite (aluminm frame) and his has been perfect so far as well......

Even when you do find an example that works

the action is rarely equal to a Smith, or even a Ruger. Since there are NUMEROUS used models of the latter brands on the market, I think that's the wiser choice.

Jeez Lightsped, any excuse to post pics of your 38 snubbies, huh?:D I would go with a used smith or Ruger, myself. Two friends bought Tauras revolvers, and neither one liked them. There's my $.02.

Hi, Kermit. I've owned a bunch of Taurus revolvers. I can remember at least the following- An older M669 357 mag, two M44's (44 mags), an older M65 (traded it 'cause I couldn't find nice grips), 3 or 4 M605's (lost count), older M66 nickel plated, new M617, and now a M415 41 maggie. Of them all I only had a problem with one M605. It had a burr restricting the movement of the cylinder. A little filing and it was fixed. I've had good luck with my old and new Taurus's. Other posters mileage may vary :). The new M617 and the new M415 have been absolute jewels. From me Taurus gets a thumbs UP. About two months ago I picked up a used S&W M19 for $225 at a pawn shop. Works great but the bluing doesn't look all that good. So you can get a used Smith for less than a new Taurus if you so desire. Good Luck, J. Parker

Kermit . . .

Please permit me to offer a suggestion. Without maligning Taurus revolvers, I recommend you buy your son a new Ruger KGP-141 (the all stainless, four inch barrel, adjustable rear sight GP-100 model). It clearly has excellent quality, fit and finish, superb durability and reliability, and fine accuracy. Moreover, since it will accommodate the wide-range of .38 Special/.357 magnum loads, it is the "everything" gun: personal and home defense, hunting, plinking, target shooting, competition, and so forth. In addition, it is SA/DA, which will teach valuable skills applicable to many other handguns. Finally, GP-100s are so darned rugged that you can rely on the fact that your son can pass this firearm down to his son and even to your great grandson -- and it will still be 100 percent reliable and accurate. You can buy new KGP-141s easily via the Internet for about $350, so it is a great value, too.

My first handgun, purchased a year ago, was a Taurus Tracker (7 shot .357). When I read in the manual that dry firing would be damaging to the gun, I took it back to the dealer and bought a Ruger KGP141, the instruction manual for which encouraged unlimited dry firing. I would not want a handgun that I could not dry fire without risking damage to it.

Besides, the Ruger looks and feels better to me. I like rugged simplicity.

Last edited:
I've bought a number of Taurus

revolvers over the years and have been batting about .500 with them on relliability of function. Those that have worked have worked well. Those that have not took one or two trips back to the manufacturer to iron out the problems. Taurus offers a lifetime warranty and stands behind it foursquare. No problem there. But it is disappointing as can be to have to send a NIB Taurus back to the manufacturer to iron out one or more difficulties. I now buy only Smith and Ruger. No problems ever!

I have had bad luck with my Taurus revolvers. However, they still make the neatest stuff out there, so I am looking at titaniums as we speak. :D

Mellow

I've owned 2 Taurus revolvers and 2 Autos without a lick of problem with either. A friend has owned 2 revolvers as well, a M65 and one of their first 44 mags. The 65 works perfectly, the 44 has a very sticky cylinder.

You say your son is ready for a 38/357...what for? Just for plinking? Hunting? Competition?

While I really like my Taurus revolvers I love my GP100, if you're thinking of going with a Taurus because of their low price I'm going to suggest you look for a used Ruger Security Six. Terrific revolvers, strong as a bank vault, you should be able to find them for around $250 for a very nice one.

Reference RWK's reply:

If you can swing the money for a new revolver, the GP141 is an excellent weapon. Good sights, good feel, good trigger (not as smooth as the Smith 686, but close enough). I just paid $375 for the stainless model (KGP141), tax included. The Smith equivilent, Model 686, runs about another $50 to $75 more. If you buy new, you avoid the possibility of buying something someone else may have had a problem with and traded off. With the quality built into the Ruger and the Smith (as well as Taurus), you are buying your son something that will last a life time.

My son is 13 and has been shooting handguns for about 6 months now. A 22lr revolver I found used at an estate sale for $50. It has a smooth but heavy da trigger that is great for teaching trigger control. After 6 months and almost 2500 rounds, he has been begging to shoot something more substantial. I was thinking 9mm auto, but he might loose those fundamentals the revolver has taught him. I think the 357/38 revolver will just reinforce what he has learned. Then, I'll introduce him to the semi autos in the safe :)

I'd rather have a Taurus that MIGHT work than a NEW S&W that WILL work anyday. A NEW S&W shouldn't even be a consideration. Ruger's are good stuff. The hell with S&W! J. Parker

My planned next wheelgun is gonna be a Taurus. I guess some of their older stuff wasn't up to par but they have gotten a lot better. They have a great warranty and they haven't stabbed us in the back yet. (Although some don't think highly of the integrated safety lock.)

I can NOT recommend a Taurus.
I just got rid of a Taurus 605 .357.

It was light striking and wouldn't fire some rounds.
Having a gun go CLICK when it should go BANG is NOT a good thing!:eek:

I can NOT recommend a Taurus.
I just got rid of a Taurus 605 .357.

It was light striking and wouldn't fire some rounds.
Having a gun go CLICK when it should go BANG is NOT a good thing!

And I just sent a fairly new Ruger GP100 back to the factory for the same reason.

I own 2 taurus revolers and have had no problem with them. One has about thousand rounds fired, and the other coming up on 500. As for dryfiring, I don't unless I use caps or empty brass. Seen Rugers and Smith&Wesson which do say dryfiring is fine,cause damage to firing pin. Also both Ruger and S&W have sold out one way or another. My .02

Back