Taurus Experience - Beware

I traded my Hi-Point C9(good gun but bashed by gun snobs) for a Taurus Model 84 38 special revolver to see if the Taurus bashing was as misplaced as it was on the Hi-Point. The old 70s era Taurus turned out to be a good old reliable and accurate revolver. Because of that, I bought a new TCP. It malfunctioned on the first box of ammo and I sent it in for repair. It was repaired and has been reliable for 600-700 rounds so far. I then took another chance and bought a PT111 G2 for $199.99. It is accurate and has been flawless so far in 800-900 rounds. I'm happy with my 3 and wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

People sometimes ask me about Taurus and I tell them I can't in good conscience recommend one. That being said I go on to say you might get a good gun and if you do you will probably have a very good gun - the odds are about 50-50. I have owned 3 of them. A 92 clone which is poorly made bit is functional except for the adjustable rear site pin walking. Second is one of the is a 8 round .357 which bought new and is a disaster. Third is a PT111 G2 which used for EDC until I got my XD9 Mod2. The only problem I have had with the G2 is occaisional premature slide lock which I think is me nudging the slide lock. Reason I went with the XD9 is I don't like it's trigger. Aside from guns I personally own I have witnessed lots of problems on the range. The older guns are better than the newer ones and the only way I would buy one of those is the price would have to be really good and I would have to shoot it first.

I was set to purchase an 85 about a month ago. I read the online reviews and message board comments and decided to go ahead and get one. The local Big gun store had several in stock at a good price. I called first and asked the sales clerk a few questions. This was just after the rebate ended in October.

I asked if they had sold a lot of them over the summer and fall and they had. I asked if any of those recently sold model 85's were brought in for warranty work. He said quite a few had been returned for repairs/issues. I asked if he would own a Taurus and he said no, due to quality concerns. He also went on to say that their repairs/returns were very slow due to the backlog from the lawsuit. And he mentioned that Taurus was in hot water due to sales to Yemen. So, if anything does go wrong and you have to send it back, your single revolver is not their biggest concern.

I recently purchased my very first Taurus, a SS Model 85 Ultra Lite. Absolutely love it. I have many Smiths, Rugers and other revolvers and this 85 is near the top of my favorites.

So light and handy and smooth single and double action trigger and very accurate for a snubbie. I guess it must be hit or miss with these and I sure got a hit.

I own and shoot two Taurusvrevolvers and both have been great. A 455 .45 ACP 4" which is very accurate and has a great trigger. Also a Taurus 94 bought in 1997 for $225 it is a great little .22 revolver and I own many S&W to compare it too.

For better or for worse I have owned around a dozen Taurus handguns over the years.

Only one had problems, and they fixed it properly on the second trip to the factory. The others have been fine. They fall into three groups: reliable and smooth-shooting, reliable and okay shooting with a so-so trigger, reliable with a terrible trigger.

Almost half of them have been revolvers with good triggers, but those have mostly been older ones. My 25+ year old Beretta clone still shoots well, though its trigger is so-so. The newer ones I've bought have tended towards heavy triggers.

The best have been my three Model 66 derivatives (K frame, basically) and my two Model 85 derivatives (J frame). These have all been somewhere between good and excellent. The rest of my Taurii have been "okay". After several "meh" triggers in a row I would still buy one, but only if the price was insanely good, and/or I could check it out carefully first, and/or a friend I trusted was selling it, etc.

No Complaints

Just got my first Taurus last summer, model 94. Other than a factory bozo putting loctite on the grip screw, it's great.
Dear Taurus, please do not put loctite on grip screws of Neoprene grips.

The trick is poking something sharp through the rubber to hold the insert whilst turning the screw.

Nice single action trigger pull. double action is two men and a boy. Nature of the small frame .22 beast.

Each and every Taurus made can't be bad, no company could stay in business if that happened. Do they have more problems than other gun makers? I don't know, but it would be interesting to find out the percentage of returns of Taurus guns compared to other major manufacturers. But I doubt those are numbers attainable by the general public. I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut there isn't that big a difference. Yea, I own two Taurus handguns, a M83 revolver and a PT22. I plan to keep them, thank you very much.

Quality Control / Quality Assurance has gone down in every major manufacturer in the past 20 years or so, including non firearm related products. Stock holders care more about the almighty dollar than they do customer satisfaction. It's the same everywhere, in everything made. Money trumps people. That's the way it is, and it will only get worse.

I own four Taurus revolvers.
A model 83 older model 38 special purchased used and problem free.
A model 431 older model 44 special purchased used and problem free.
Both have excellent D and SA triggers but I swapped springs in the 431 to get there.
A Non View purchased new, (yeah I'm one of those guys), problem free but very little fun to shoot much... it bites and draws blood... but my curiosity is satisfied.
A 608SS purchased used with a warning of a possible timing problem but at a price that couldn't be refused. I've replaced springs and transfer bar and taken care of light strikes and ridiculous trigger pull. Works flawlessly in DA, but can actually completely skip a chamber in SA if cocked vigorously.
Big heavy 8 shot cylinder, doesn't really surprise me.
May send it back some day, haven't yet.

Three out of four good ones considering what money I've invested isn't something that bothers me too much.
I wouldn't be afraid to try another for the right deal.

I currently own two of the large-frame Taurus revolvers; a seven-shot M607 and an eight-shot M608. The M608 uses .357 Magnum ammo loaded to a length of 1.720" and the M607 is rechambered for the .360 Dan Wesson (the .357 lengthened to 1.415"). Both have polished actions with stock springs.
Both are exceptional performers.

I've owned 3 Taurus guns. I bought the "newest" one in 1993. They are a PT92, PT100 and a Model 85 snub. Over the years, the 92 finally broke the locking block, which I replaced with a Beretta unit.

I have to say that these older guns exhibit some very good quality, and they are great shooters. I've had the PT92 apart alongside my Beretta 92 Inox, and it's tough to tell that the Beretta is the higher quality piece. I just did a detail strip on the PT100 after running 700 problem free reloads through it, and it, likewise, is a very well made sidearm.

The little Model 85, which I bought in 1992, was finished in a deep and glossy blue that would rival any of the common S&W's that I've ever seen or owned. The wooden stocks were just gorgeous and well fitted. But, that 85 was a FAR cry from the 85's that I see today, with their dull and flat finishes.

Based upon what I know and have heard from other folks with more recent Taurus guns in their safes, I seriously doubt that I'd take a chance on another one.

I have several Taurus firearms. The Model 9482 22lr revolver is a workhorse, and my PT111 has never given me trouble. However, the extractor on my PT709 Slim failed after about 500 rounds. Taurus CS was not overly helpful, I had to pay for shipping despite the gun failing less than a year after purchase, but the turnaround time wasn't too bad. The experience did not convince me to purchase any more Taurus products.

At my shop, taurus had a pistol repaired and sent back in 6 days. That is just one data point. They covered shipping both ways.

I've owned plenty myself. No issues out of any I bought used, ironically. I bought a judge new. It had issues out the box. Don't own it any longer.

My only Taurus wheel gun is a Judge Public Defender Poly I bought soon after the steel and poly framed model was introduced. It has been trouble free since I got it about five, or six years ago. I also have one Taurus semi-auto. Another of their "plastic" offerings. A 22 Poly tip barrel. It too has been flawless. I have no concerns with Taurus firearms. The 22 Long Rifle/22 Magnum interchangeable model 992 is very high on my short list. Just seems to be set back by more current wants/needs. I'm also quite intrigued by the new Spectrum.

Came across this thread researching “Taurus 992 revolvers”
I bought a Taurus model 94 snub nose years ago for $300 new. I put over 3,500 rounds through it trouble free outside of that 14lb DA pull. SA was a light 3lbs or lighter.

Stupidly sold it for another gun, but luckily found another new M94 last year in a gun shop this is after they discontinued the gun. Only thing different is the underlug on it, still the same m94 model snub nose. Taurus actually produced the snub nose m94 in 12+ configurations, just google m94 snub nose and count all the models, colors, and stampings of trade mark locations for yourself.

I am actually in the process of buying a 992, I have wanted one for YEARS, and they are finally back in stock at dealers, I am just trying to decide on stainless or blue. Currently I own a S&W 617, S&W 43c and my m94, while the 94 doesn't compare to these in high quality as smiths, the m94/992 does something they don't. A DA/SA model revolver in different barrel sizes along with 22mag combo for the 992, this is what draws me to the Taurus in the first place.

I am hoping that Ruger releases their lcr-x in a snub nose model. I had owned an lcr 22 for a long time then sold it, I had about 1500 rounds through it with only trouble was the dead/double trigger. If you short stroked it caused it to skip and not fire?. I recently got the 43c from S&W to replace my lcr 22. I would love a hammer on a snub nose for DA/SA practice.

Taurus isn't high quality, most of the 94's I used to touch at the gun shows and 990 along with the 992 had not so great of lock up's, especially the 94's. Mine is decent, not bad never had any problems with both of mine. The blued models were the most attractive to me because S&W nor Ruger makes blued models unless you get a K-22 masterpiece for $850+. My new one has about 300 rounds through it and has become a safe queen due to it being blue and so pretty. I guess if I had gotten a stainless model it would be abused more. I think if all or most of taurus revolvers are bad they wouldn't be in business. I just like the look of some of their models thats why I am picking up the blued model either 4 or 6.5 inch.

Also my motto has adopted cheapshooters rule, DON'T SELL ANY GUNS. I regret selling several of my pistols including my lcr 22 and my first m94.

I was lured in by a Taurus 96 some years ago thinking it was at first glance a Smith 17. After looking again I realized it was indeed a Taurus but after handling it over the course of a couple visits I decided to take a chance and the store owner knocking off a few more bucks also helped.

Get to the range and fired single action - bang-bang-click-click-bang-click. :mad: Then I thought all the "Do not buy Taurus" posts were on the money. The rounds that actually fired grouped surprisingly well.

Later after removing the grips I see the hammer spring actually has an adjustment nut on it and tightening it resulted in no more misfires! The Taurus 96 ended up being a fine shooter.

Have two Taurus 605 357 revolvers. Have fired both heavily through the years without problems. It may have to do with how I tend to make electrical and mechanical devices last much longer than the average person does. Much of what happens with guns depends on how they are treated. Will not hesitate to purchase more Taurus guns in future. My latest new sidearm acquisition is a SW M&P 9mm and it has some serious problems my gunsmith and I are working our way through, so when someone tells me Taurus is bad and SW is great, a serious argument will ensue.

I have a Taurus 357 that I bought in the early 90's and the only issue I had was entirely my fault. I had a squib that got stuck in the forcing cone. It was my own fault about the squib too. Anyway I pounded that cylinder open thinking I could just shear cut the lead bullet. I bent the crane. I contacted CS, was treated well. I sent it to them where it was promptly repaired and returned to me. The double action is not overly stiff and at single action it is as crisp as two of the Colt Pythons I have shot. Like breaking the glass rod we frequently say. It is capable of accuracy that exceeds my abilities. I had a friend that is a very accomplished handgunner shoot it and it did very well. The fit and finish is as good as any other handgun I have seen.

Back