Taurus and me, a parting of ways.

MellowMikey

Ok, I really like what Taurus makes, but am I the only one who gets the ones that misfire?
I had to send my 415 to the factory and then have my pistolsmith fix it so it would not light strike.
Now my 605 is doing the same thing.
I had an old 85 that did it too.
Maybe I am limp wristing.. *joke*
No more Taurus for me, I guess it's time for Ruger or a used Smith. :(

Mikey

surely you don't think ruger is a safe political alternative?

ruger voluntarily and on purpose withheld mini hi-cap mags and folders from regular civillians. even stating that their hi-caps and folders were never intended for ordinary citizens. they did all this when bans were not even on the horizon.

ruger has even stated that no honest man needs more than ten rounds.

ruger who was instrumental in writing and passing the current hi-cap mag ban.

ruger who as recently the latest shot show stated that they will not make cc firearms because they a sporting arms company.

better stick to the used smith.

Personally, I think it is "sporting" to shoot goblins.
That being said, I guess I will keep carrying my "sporting" Ruger SP101 .357. Happy Trails!

My first handgun was a Taurus 85 (back in the mid-'80s) that would do light primer strikes every so often. I sent it back and they fixed it, but I was at the point where I didn't trust it anymore. I traded it for a Mossberg shotgun.

Greeting's All:

Mellow Mikey, I have tried to tell fellow members here at
TFL for a long time, that Taurus firearms are for the most
part a P.O.S.:) I once worked for a famous security company
that issued the model 82 .38 caliber revolver that was a damn nightmare; or better yet, an accident looking for a place to happen most likely resulting in it's user getting
KIA.:( Needless to say, I don't work for that outfit any
more; Thank God. That thing had at least a 25 lbs. trigger
pull; there's no way you could stay on target.:) If our
government declared all guns illegal, except those made by
Taurus; I guess I would be out of the gun business?:D I
understand that Taurus now owns Rossi Firearms; if that is
so, hell the Rossi is a better firearm.:)

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

It does not matter what brand you choose, someone will get a lemon or two (or three) and form the opinion that that brand sucks. I see it all the time. I have a Taurus M44, it's pretty new, but so far it doesn't suck. I have a Llama MiniMax 1911 clone, and so far it doesn't suck. I have a Winchester 1300 Defender shotgun, and so far it doesn't suck either. Neither do my other firearms, which happen to be Remmingtons. Yet, at one time or another, someone has said that they were junk and P.O.S.'s on this forum. Oh well... glad I have my crappy guns. I'm trying to get as many as I can, while I can. They work for me... :)

I have two Taurus Model 85 snubbies (total Titanium, and a Stainless). I have been very pleased with both. Quality and reliablity are top notch. Everyone that sees or shoots my 38 snubbies always gives me compliments on them.

I still think Taurus makes "good" revolvers.

That said I traded my 85 SS for a SP-101 in .357 magnum. I Shot my friends SP-101 and fell in love. The weight difference means nothing to me. And now I carry a .357 magnum. Politics or not Ruger makes a solid revolver, probably the "best" medium frame snubbie IMHO.

Well...I've got a record of 1-1 with Taurus revolvers. I don't know a whole lot about the history of Taurus or anything, but I understand the overall quality improved considerably sometime around the early '90s or so compared to what it was prior to then. Therefore *when* one owned/shot a Taurus may have something to do with how one tends to feel about them.

With my experience with Taurus ranging basically from satisfied confidence to severe disappointment, I'll have to say that if you get a good one it's a good buy. For some people the $100 or so difference means the difference between having protection or doing without, and that's not something to forget or disregard. As a college student, the price-to-quality ratio looked quite reasonable to me at the time.

Naturally there's better out there, but I think they are pretty good for the money spent. I'd rather see a newbie trying to protect the family go that way than see them buy a Jennings or Lorcin any day of the week. Also wanted to chime in with a semi-pro vote, as the one that worked fine for me works fine, and I know how people like to bash Taurus sometimes.

They're not perfect, but wouldn't call them doorstops generally either. As somebody aptly stated, every manufacturer makes some lemons...

-tubeshooter

A Taurus Tracker (7 shot .357) was my first handgun purchase. I parted with it as soon as I read the instruction manual which said something like "Dry-firing is bad for this gun even when...". I took it back to the dealer and ordered off the internet (via TFL) a Ruger GP 100, which I liked so much that I added an SP 101. The GP 100 will be both an HD and a "sometime" carry/CCW gun. The SP 101 will be an "always" carry gun. I have a permit to purchase a third handgun, but so far I'm so satisfied with the two Rugers that I find no need for a third handgun.

I would agree that Taurus makes "good" revolvers. But Ruger makes "better" revolvers, which for me are really the "best". I do really appreciate having the option of unlimited dry-firing with the confidence that the gun will not be damaged thereby (the Ruger instruction manual explicitly encourages unlimited dry-firing).

Thanks all,
After my smithy fixed my 415 it is a delight to have, I have nothing against Taurus, I guess I just have bad karma or something.
I did consign my 605, but I am keeping my 41 magnum. :D

Keep the info coming, I still want to get that 617T, but I may wait a little while.

Mikey

I have a Taurus 605 and a Taurus 85, both in stainless with concealed hammers. I have never had any problems with either. I think Taurus makes a good product. Jim Hall

Well, I had a M85 that was 50% failure to fire rate out of the box, took three trips back to the factory to fix. Taurus may have made great strides since the early 90's but there is no denying they still have a quality control problem. The very fact that so many people have gotten lemons, speaks to that fact. After all everyone can produce a lemon, but Taurus seems to have a whole orchard down there in Florida.

Thankfully there are people like Bill Ruger who produce a quality product at a fair price.

Terry

Geeezzzz Mikey it's not what I want to hear after I order a Model 415!!!!!:):) Actually, I've owned a bunch of Taurus' old and new. I really don't have a bad thing to say about Taurus revolvers. The only problem I ever had was a Model 605 a couple years ago. The cylinder wouldn't turn smoothly so I figured a burr or something was hanging it up. Sure enough that was it, I filed it down and it worked just fine. Let's see if I can remember them all- A model 669, an older M65 (I had a hell of a time getting better grips for it), two M44's 4"(blued&stainless), I think, four M605's(all stainless), A 4" M65 nickel plated (didn't even know there was such a thing), and a recent Model 617 seven shot 357 maggie(blued). Did I get the Model # right? Now that seven shot 357 maggie was SWEET! Smoooth trigger pull, nice grip(for medium hands) and a beautiful bluing job. Now my experience with their auto-loaders is a different matter....Best, J. Parker

I bought a Taurus Tracker (.357, 4") nearly two months ago. It was my first gun. I shot it pretty often, 2-3 times per week, but was never satisfied. The .38 loads shot pretty accurately, but I couldn't hit anything with the .357. I'm sure a lot of it was me, although I had several rounds fail to fire with quality ammo. I eventually gave up on it and traded it in for a Glock 23 (.40). It shoots dead on, and I handle it a lot better. I miss having a revolver, however, and am currently looking for a replacement. I plan to rent a .357 (I think my range has a Ruger) and see if it was the gun or simply my lack of experience. Can anyone suggest something?

Welcome, Scriber69 to TFL. There's some real nice 4" 357 maggies out there to chose from. The Ruger GP-100 series are hell for stout. They could very well be the strongest 357 mag goin'. What I like about them is that they come from the factory with a grip I can live with. I owned one only briefly years ago but I was impressed none the less. There are some very loyal Ruger revolver folks on TFL. They can give you more complete info than myself. This past weekend I bought a used S&W mod 19 4" blued at a local pawn shop. $225.00 and the gun is so tight it feels new. Some of the bluing is wore off but I put some "bluing in a bottle" on it and it looks great. So you might consider a USED S&W. But buyer beware...take someone with you who knows what to look for in a used revolver. Well, welcome once again and good luck,J. Parker

I went out and bought a Taurus 85 Ultra-lite titanium Saturday after looking at light snubnose revolvers (I carry a Glock 27 but wanted something light enough to carry in a pocket holster for those times it is difficult to conceal the 27). Well, I was looking forward to getting out on the range with it but in looking at it some more, noticed a few scratches on the cylinder face. I dry fired it a few times and noted that the cylinder was rubbing against the barrel.

I guess I didn't do a good enough job inspecting it at the store, because I got a set of feeler gauges and couldn't even get a .0015" gauge in the gap between the barrel and cylinder! I called Taurus yesterday and they told me to send it in for repair. They quoted a normal turnaround time of 4 weeks, but said since it is a brand new gun they would put a rush on it and it might only take 2 weeks.

So now I've sent it in to Taurus at my own expense and we'll see how it turns out. It was the first revolver I've bought in about 8 years and my first Taurus. I really should have looked at it a lot more closely before I brought it home. (Subsequently I found some posts here about inspecting revolvers before purchase that were VERY helpful....after I got it home!!!)

Other than the obvious problem with the barrel cylinder gap, I was quite excited about my acquisition...we'll see if my excitement wanes as it sits at Taurus for the next few weeks! Not sure if I'd buy another Taurus again. A lot will depend on how quickly I get this one back and how well it is repaired.

I really am sad to hear that I am not the only one with problems. The trigger on my 605 is a dream, maybe that is why it misfires. :D

It seems to me that all they need is better quality control and they would be the bomb. The fit and finish on my 605 is wonderful and the bluing is perfect, a deep rich blue.
Too bad it wont shoot. :(

Mikey

"After all everyone can produce a lemon, but Taurus seems to have a whole orchard down there in Florida.":D LOL!

I posted recently of the 3-4 units each month that one dealer has to send back. Unfortunately, I neglected to ask how many were sold in order to determine a ratio. While I was examining some in his shop, I found two that weren't right.:(

J. Parker, you're absolutely right about the Ruger GP-100. I went to a shop today, not my usual range/shop, and saw a NIB for $389. I had paid $420 for that Taurus crap that was all over the place! But price didn't mean anything. I still didn't know how it shot. The store didn't have a range, and so I had to hop in the car and drive a few miles over to a different shop/range. They had a GP-100 in their rental case, and man man man man man. I gotta get me one of those! I shot that thing with both .38 +P Speer Gold Dots and .357 JHP, and it was grouping dead on in the black. I never could do that with my Taurus. I was relieved to know it was the gun that had previously failed and not my shooting skills (though at two months of shooting I hardly have skills, yet). Anyway, I was thoroughly impressed with the Ruger. It's a nice looking gun in stainless, the grip feels perfect in my hand, and it has a nice weight to it. It's heavier than than the Taurus, but I don't plan on carrying it as a CCW. I carry my G23 but thought a .357 would be nice to pack in my bag when I'm out hiking the trails or deep in the woods fishing. I almost ran back to the store and bought one on the spot, but I decided I better sleep on it for at least one night. This gun thing, I see, can become quite an addictive. After the Ruger, I already have my eye on a Mossberg.

Back