Taurus 689 Range Report

Bullrock

I finally got to shoot my new Taurus 689.

Taurus Model 689, 4" barrel, .357 Magnum/.38Spl.

100 rounds of Winchester .357 145Gr. Silvertips and 50 rounds of Winchester 130Gr. FMJ.

Move over Smith & Wesson. While the 689 has been discontinued this is one of the best shooting revolvers I have ever experienced. In short OUTSTANDING!

At 25' deadly accurate with crisp SA, and easy smooth DA.

My big criticism of Taurus over the last two years has been they seem to discontinue all of their good stuff with the exception of the PT-92/99. This one is staying here with me...
attachment.php

I never found any faults with the one I had either. I'm glad you like yours also. It's good to see others who have realized that just by having Taurus on the side of a handgun doesn't automatically mean it's a POS.

they seem to discontinue all of their good stuff with the exception of the PT-92/99.
what about Raging Bull? I love that gun. IMO it's the best looking revolver ever (but I'm guessing you have a different taste)

It's good to see others who have realized that just by having Taurus on the side of a handgun doesn't automatically mean it's a POS.
+++++++1

Good to hear you're pleased with how the 689 shoots...>

...I'm very happy with mine after just under 1,000 rounds. Pity it's been discontinued.

Hi,

I just bought a Taurus 689 NIB (my first revolver; I already owned a Glock 34).

The price was right (read: very low), including a mounted Browning Golden Point Red Dot sight. The price was low because the shop owner had bought the gun as such from another shop that stopped business.

I removed the Red Dot sight and the mounting rail. That mounting rail was fixed with three black screws.
Since I've seen a lot of pictures of 689's on this forum, but never a top-sight, I have to ask: are these screws normally black or stainless ? The gun itself is stainless, so I guess those black screws came with the mounting rail of the Red Dot sight ?

For the owners of the 689: do you like the wooden grips for shooting ? I prefer the looks of the wooden grips, but for shooting, I think Pachmyers or something alike would be better.

BTW, of the first five shots with wadcuttters at 25 meters with the Red Dot sight still mounted, three were right in the middle of the target (shooting with both hands and SA). I was never able to do that with my Glock 34 at that distance ..

Thanks,

Stefan.

I've had a 689 for some years now.
It's a fantastic gun. Trigger like a glass rod.
I changed the silly little wood grips for a pair of Houges.
Mine is a 6" and you can literally shoot .357's out of it all day.

AFS

Hi AFS,

Thanks for your response.

Did you get a tuning on it ? I'm asking because the dealer offered to have it tuned after I had 500 shots with it. Since it is my first revolver, I'm not sure if it's necessary, useful or risky, or whatever ...

Thanks,
Stefan.

I never had it tuned.
Took it out of the box , cleaned and and been shooting it ever since.
The trigger was great from the get go.
If they still made this I would buy my soon to be born Grand Daughter one.

AFS

Hey! A Taurus 689 thread at last! :D

I'm a Taurus 689 owner and I would like to share my Own baby to the people who knows and understands what it is like to own this wonderfull masterpiece. ;)

36ec10f7.jpg

38ecfa26.jpg

8bb9b724.jpg

Its a pity why Taurus discontinued this item.

This gun Had'nt failed me since! :cool:

Scout-Ranger - a question on the grips on your M689...>

My M689 has the standard rubber 2-piece Taurus grips it came with (see below) and I was interested in changing them. They cover the brackstrap by approx 3mm to 5mm and this adds to the trigger reach a bit. I'd like to minimise that.

The grips on your Taurus look good, and I note that they don't cover the backstrap at the top but perhaps do on the rest of the backstrap (can't quite see it in the pics). Do they cover the backstrap and, if so, is that portion very thick? What make/model are the grips? Thanks.

I've got one in blue. Love it. Recently did a home trigger job with Wolfe (spelling?) Springs and it is extra nice now. I've added newer guns to the collection, but that one eventually ends up back in the nightstand. Dead on with .38s, too.
Enjoy!

.38Catt

ANy idea when and why this particular model was discontinued? Are there issues with the 689?

I'm asking 'coz as i was canvassing for a .357 magnum, a local Taurus dealer here in the Philippines has M689s on display, and I understand they still have stocks.

Just want to make sure that these stocks are of quality. I haven't encountered problems & very satisfied with my M82 (.38 special), but makes me curious why it was discontinued...

and do they still sell this model over there?

Last edited:
I had a 4 inch blued model years ago. It was a great shooter and after I polished up the innards it was really nice. I have a buddy that fell in love with it and worried me to death about letting him have it. I finally caved and he still shoots it today. There was no fault I could find in any of them though most folks bought the M669 which was the same gun but didn't have the vent rib. The M669 probably put the nail in the coffin for the M689.

One of the biggest complaints I hear about Taurus revolvers is the heavy DA trigger. I have three and yes, the DA and even the SA trigger pull is heavy compared to a S&W, but on all three the let off is very crisp. One poster compared it to a "glass rod."

All three of my Taurus revolvers are very accurate and I think that is one of the reasons why.

vented or non-vents?

What's with the vented rib, that they prefer the 669s. Isn't it supposed to "dissipate heatwaves". Or just personal preference for non-vented ribs probably?

Bought mine in 1993, and the wheel is still turning. True it need a 5000+ tune up (max loading in 158gr swc and 110gr jhp's kinda loosened the timing up on the DA side). The trigger is around 32 ounce (SA) the DA trigger is much heavier, but still smooth and crisp. Accuracy over a rest is good out to 100m plus (places them all in center mass). My only complaint was (and still is) my hands are a tad big for the zebra wood grip. My middle finger starts to get sore around the 100 round mark - I usually shoot between 150 and 300 a session.

I know it's an old thread but....

Hey all,

Yeah. Know it's an old thread but just wondering if anyone still has their Taurus 689/669?

Reason I ask is I've got one of each in 357, 6" barrels and stainless. I've seen some bad press on Taurus recently but also have a snubby 445 (I think..) in 44 Special with a bobbed hammer. NONE of my Taurus revolvers have given me a moments trouble, matter of fact the 669 is one of the best cast Bullet shooters I have.

The 689 was my mothers and the 669 I got around year 2000 in a divorce sale for....$200.

I recently got a new Smith 686 and am extremely happy with it but it cost a dang sight more than the Tauruses did.

Anyway I'm fond of all three, they're all good shooters and I think wife is getting ready to steal my 669. Both of the 357's have EXCELLENT SA triggers on them.

Just wanted to throw my .02 in even though this thread is ancient.

Art

My son has a 689 4". He bought it used ,don't remember the price. I know it was reasonable. We have put a lot of rounds through it. Has a surprisingly nice trigger and fairly accurate. I like it a lot.

Back