Taurus 605 still not repaired.

When I worked for Mazda and called the tech line we listened to their commercial song, Zoom. Zoom Zoom.....

If Taurus is that stacked up with customer service calls it should make you wonder?????

Now when I call Charter Arms, they answer almost right away and are even cheerful. Most every time they actually knew what they were talking about too. Only once did I feel like a secty answered when no one else was around and she did the best she could.

Actually, it was the response I got from Taurus on the phone that led me to just pawn the thing. Who wants to send it in and wait months and months and months to be told it is within specs on your postage money?

I'd bought an AR-15 Colt Competition Rifle from a firm that purchased the use of the name Colt and came to find out the chamber had been reamed with a dull reamer. It was a prepaid quick turn around which also got me an upgraded stock, better muzzle brake and a new barrel that shot .389" groups instead of the just under an inch of the first barrel. The new Taurus Customer Service big wig claimed he would turn things around but he seems to be taking his sweet time doing it.

The new Taurus Customer Service big wig claimed he would turn things around but he seems to be taking his sweet time doing it.
I sure as h*ll don't see any improvement! You have to sit there on hold listening to elevator music for a good hour to get a warm body on the phone. They DO NOT answer the messages you leave. Once you do get a warm body, they have no idea what is actually going on with your gun, and have no way to find out. Their operations are totally stove-piped. Customer Service can't even talk o the actual repair department. All they can or will tell you, like a stuck record, is "Your gun is in the repair process and there is a 12-week turn-around". Then, when you do a repair status check, all it shows is "Firearm arrived'.

In my case, they are replacing my gun with a brand new one because the frame is out of spec. There are tons of great reviews out there for the Taurus 605, so I am thinking the odds a pretty small of me getting TWO lemons. That said, let's just say that I have low expectations from their repair department if they actually had to do work on my gun.

Last edited:
Taurus surprised me. They actually sent me a receipt for the gun being shipped showing no charge AND TRACKING INFORMATION. MY GUN SHOULD BE AT MY LOCAL FFL TOMORROW! So, in my case they were spot on with their 12-week turn around.

Good for you. I think these days with such instantaneous information available at all times we expect to be able to know anything about dealings like this at any time. When there is a lack of communication it’s very frustrating and this is where Taurus falls down, plus with so many people working from remote locations due to the COVID virus it just compounds the lack of information making it even more frustrating to deal with things like having warranty work done. We all just need to be a little more patient these days and bear with these situations as best we can.

Taurus surprised me. They actually sent me a receipt for the gun being shipped showing no charge AND TRACKING INFORMATION. MY GUN SHOULD BE AT MY LOCAL FFL TOMORROW! So, in my case they were spot on with their 12-week turn around.

It's still a good thing you called, and I bet the squeaky wheel did get some more oil. If it happened to me, well my FFL doesn't call when my orders come in. They would just let it sit and I would have been none the wiser unless there was some tracking info

I remember reading that Taurus was going to send more repair jobs to Florida rather than Brazil, new commitment to quality, speedy repairs, blah blah blah... that was before the coronavirus. On the upside, it doesn't look like COVID-19 has changed their speed of service. My first thought when you described the malfunction was: It maybe could have been fixed with a new hand, new ejector, maybe a new cylinder stop or cylinder. But then you'd be out who knows how much, and in an inexpensive gun that's a greater portion of value of a brand new firearm itself.

Let us know how it functions.

Maybe if they had Johnny Paycheck, I would enjoy it more!
Johnny Paycheck, he shot a man in the town I am in right now. The bar has long been closed. It was a 22 that grazed the man's balding scalp, so the news story goes.

Taurus must do better if it wants to boost its reputation. Its guns are getting better, but reputation means just as much. Taurus' poor customer support is one reason why its guns have relatively low prices. Price is its equalizer. Conversely, I sent my PPS2 back to Walther after a recall, the Tuesday afternoon before Thanksgiving. It was back in my hands by the following Monday despite the holiday, Black Friday and a weekend. And Walther paid for shipping both ways. That's amazing, and a level of service that all gun makers, including Taurus should aspire to achieve.

I Helped my brother in law out and ended up with a Taurus .44 magnum revolver. It worked well but I wanted to trade for a S&W. The front sight had a red ramp insert that was long gone prior to my ending up with the gun. Several long waiting on hold calls later and I ended up with a nice young lady that tried to help out. After providing the serial number they offered to send me a new front sight. Problem is that revolver did not have a removable sight. It was an older model with a milled front sight. Trying to explain was problematic and she never seemed to understand. The call ended with a “sorry we can not help you.” It was traded off “as is” and my poor opinion of Taurus was reinforced.

Would have been a super easy job to fill the front ramp insert back in. Midway even has a video on how to do it and the filler resin. Probably a ten minute job and less than a few bucks.

True it could have been an easy fix but I wanted something different and was trading it no matter what. The point was I tried to get Taurus customer service to help me and they did not.

Aguila Blanca said:
I can't prove it, but I am convinced they understaff their customer support department because they're hoping people will get tired of waiting and just give up.

Or it could just be that virus that's going around has resulted in less Customer Service Representatives on staff.

Also, I can't prove it, but I'm pretty sure that they would have figured out by now that nobody is realistically just going to give up on a product which cost them hundreds of dollars and that all their deliberate understaffing is accomplishing is hurting their reputation, potentially resulting in lesser sales.

"
I've been waiting almost a year now for my replacement.....same song and, dance.
UPDATE: LO and behold, replacement for the defective Rossi (which Taurus owns) arrived today. They sent me a Taurus model 627 tracker 6" matte SS. That surprised me. Grin.

Attachments

• Taurus.jpg
    Taurus.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 29
Regarding the quality of Taurus guns and the frequency of faulty guns I don't think they are any worse (or much worse) than any other maker. They all have lemons and they all ship out faulty guns now and then. But their customer support is much better, while Taurus customer support SUCKS.
I hate to be so opposite but I have had nothing but good luck with Taurus and mine was a 605, too.

Have you tried the 'chat' function? You write back and forth with a CS rep. I got all the info I needed, I had lost some parts cuz I took it apart (a big NO-NO!) and they sent me a return label 2nd day air and the repair for $35!!!

Couldn't fix it and sent me a replacement! I got a new SS M605 revolver for $35 bucks! I'm a happy boy and this was in like March of this year. Taurus really isn't that bad. TRY THE CHAT FUNCTION!!! and good luck.

Back