Taurus 500 S&W Magnum for Black bear hunting??

Status
Not open for further replies.
918V
Reeder is trying to reduce recoil, while maintaining the same velocity levels. Use a bigger case, lower pressure, same ballistics, less recoil.

As for your penetration results, where do you get the 420s penetrate less then 360's?

While not the worlds greatest test results, this does kind of correlate with game observations:

http://www.handloads.com/misc/linebaugh.penetration.tests.asp

I'd take an average of so of the different results for caliber. One 475 load, the 430, goes 60 inches.

If you take a look at the effect of bullet weight in penetration, the best example is the .500, where increased bullet weight leads to 40 inch, to 60 inch penetration, and, they don't even go to the 525's I use in 510 Maximum.

I can also post pictures of bullets, and asian buffalo, and bison, taken with these heavy bullets, and the results of these bullets.
you might start here,

http://www.buffalobore.com/hunts/Default.htm

And look at the size of the buffalo taken by Mike Gibboney, with the 440 grain, 500 caliber JRH. One bullet, full penetration, the other recovered under the skin, on the off side...etc.

In all fairness, a LOT of the pictures on that page are from a gunsmith, Jack Huntington, that I know and respect. He's used, as you can see, heavy 45 colt/454 ammunition, and, he's used 475, and 500's. His observations are the 500's, even at moderate velocity, simply whack stuff harder, and more effectively, then the 45's, and, he's shot a lot of game, with both. That is NOT to say the 454 isn't effective, just that the increase in bullet weight, and diameter, makes the bigger calibers MORE effective.

s

PS
For a VERY long time, I was of the same opinion, that the 45/454 is about 98% of what you need. Since buying a 475, and 500, I've had my eyes opened a bit, as to the effect of heavy for caliber bullets, in actual hunting situations...

I think you misread my post. I stated that the 420 penetrates more.

However, according to your link, the 454 with the 360@1500 penetrates 45", just 2" less than the 475 with the 420@1300.

In any case, both will flatten a black bear or blow his head off.

918V:
Sorry. You are correct, I did not read your post correctly. Stabiliation is huge in this situation, and, so is bullet speed.

Linebaughs tests are one shot, through used paper, so, depending upon when the shot is taken, the results may vary.

The 454 is an awesome round. The 475 and 500 are simply better at penetration, and, since they have larger bullet area, cause more trauma, as they go through, plus near 50% more bullet weight, they penetrate like no tomorrow.

The irony of these pistol rounds is that as speed increases, sometimes, bullet penetration goes DOWN, on real world game. Why? the front of these bullets deform, and, as velocity increases, deformation increases, limiting penetration. I've got a pic of a 440, that Jack used to take that 1200 pound asian buffalo, somewhere. The front of the bullet has opened up, considerably, due to hitting bone, but, it still went side to side on the buffalo.

However, a black bear is NOT a 1200 pound asian buffalo, with half to one inch thick skin, and you are correct, either the 454 or the 475 is more then adequate, with a CNS hit, to stop a black bear.

I'm not really up on what it takes to stop a CHARGING black bear, however.

S

Athens, Greece, USA, is about the cleanest way I could describe close to the most preverted city in the United States, San Francisco. Homosexuality was rampant, in Athens,
and so was debauchry. I'm no homophobe, but, the latest protests by the Muslims over there do stretch my tolerance on the First Amendment to near breaking.

That, and the latest illegal to own a handgun in SF make me think it's going a bit too far...

I also like the thinking of the guy in this thread. The faster the animal dies, the happier I am, and with the least amount of pain.

S

So if Athens = San Francisco and those pics are of your guns, wink-wink, nod-nod...

Hoping the NRA wins the appeal on that particular law?

Don't live in the city. Worked there for awhile as, surprise, a public school teacher. One kid took the entire front board, and diagramed over 50 gangs, and their alliances. I'm sure they are really worried about the law, now overturned, that residents can't own handguns.:rolleyes:

Kids have to go home in groups, since San Francisco will bus
one group accross 6 or 7 other gangs territories, on the way home. Getting to and from school is a daily life threatening event. I'd be carrying if I were them. Actually, I wouldn't go,
which is sort of how I felt about teaching there.

S

The loads must have been quite different? Because the bullet weights and diameter are not that much different unless he had you shooting the 700 grainers out of the .500 s&w? My super redhawk .44 mag is all the handgun i'll ever need, but i do have a .500 s&w handi rifle on layaway. Should be interesting if i can afford brass and bullets for it.

I was wondering to myself if he could even hit the bear with this revolver if he needed too
That is the salient point. A friend of mine had a Smith and the recoil messed up his shoulder. To me, the real issue with these monsters is the ability to shoot them accurately. A 280gr Hard Cast bullet in a 45 Colt at 1060fps blew through a large Black six times at 40 yards, leaving fist sized chunks on exit - re: Bryan Pearce. If I wanted to knock a Bear down, at the shot, I'd use a 375 H&H or something with a lanyard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back