Target Practice - What is Considered Efficent

Years ago, my Dad (and uncles) taught me the 5's. 5 rounds in 5 seconds inside 5 inches at 5 yards for those moments when you need 5 rounds in a hurry I guess. (It sounds like no time what-so-ever, but 5 seconds can seem like forever at times)

Take a local class or two when & if you can. Never hurts to expand your data base. IDPA is fun.

But shooting farther out does seem to help shooting up close so add that to your mix as well. Strong hand, weak hand, two hand, single hand...

Then there's shooting and moving, shooting and reloading, shooting behind cover in the dark, kill houses...:eek: ;) when will it ever end?!

But if you can do 5 in 5 inside 5 at 5, you'll be better than most, worse than a few and still have fun while being somewhat efficient. Think of it as a baseline. When compared to a Jerry Miculek it is beyond s l o w.

Wow, People really practice at far distances on this board. I mean, people are talking 50 yards (150') like it's nothing with a handgun.. you guys must be great shots.

Up until recently, 25 yards was my max. But I started to think I'd like to shoot some bullseye matches this year, and the Slow Fire portion is shot at 50 yards, so I've been practicing my 50Y SF shooting. The OP asked what distances we shot, but I wouldn't recommend 50 yards to the OP for working on basic marksmanship.

Thanks Guys

Thanks for really good information. I've been to the range a few times, read a lot and watched numerous training methods on line via videos. Personal instruction is on my agenda but I wanted a practice area at home to make it easier and therefore more likely to happen. I appreciate it your help!

I practice for home defense and most of my handgun practice is within 15 yrds and most of that is at 7yrds. Occasionally I'll punch out to 25 yrds. just for a change of pace. I am happy staying inside the nine ring of a 12 inch circle target firing slow or double taps at 7yrds.. At 25 yrds staying within the 7 ring is satisfactory as far as I am concerned. All are in the kill zone and I feel if I can do this consistently I have a good chance protecting my family and home. I am in the process of practicing shooting at several target sizes set at different distances within 15 yrds. When I get to where I am satisfied with that I will do the same all over again but shooting double taps. The point for me is to practice as close to real world circumstances as I can and to keep setting goals to keep me interested and having fun.

I shoot my handguns for self defense so ,for me that means hitting a regular paper plate all shots at no more then fifteen yards.

It's usually ten yards.

But that does'nt mean I don't do some single action accuracy drills out to as far as my eyes can focus-dern it.

About 50 yards.
Just as a frame of reference..the National records for 20 shots slow fire in outdoor Bullseye competition at 50 yards (three guns .22/Centerfire/.45) are all clean 200 point targets with X counts at 11 or better. Shot one hand unsupported.
The ten ring is less than four inches in diameter; the X ring is 1.76".
Of course, these are exceptional scores and not the normal guy at the range.
Pete

Target practice is for target shooters, not for personal protection shooter's.

All my SD/HD handgun practice is up close & personal - 7yds, max - and rarely on an regular "target".

I use blank cardboard ovals cut from supermarket boxes, set @ varying distances from 5-7 yds.

Since target-type aiming/pointing has little chance of happening in an emergency situation, I always start with my back to the target & the gun in it's CCW position, then turn/draw/fire - as long my shots stay in center mass, I'm good to go.

I learned (over 40 years ago) that more than 25-50 practice shots are counter-productive for me (YMMV), serving only to reinforce bad habits.

Focusing on getting a good hit(s) is more productive than focusing on getting a "good group", IMHO.

For all practical matters, I'd rather grab a long gun, for any gunwork at longer distance(s).

Last edited:
Back