Target 8mm Mauser Ammo?

FWIW, when a reloader wants to make a shorter case from a long one, like 8x57 from .30-'06, he should be aware that the neck is being moved to a point where the brass of the original case is thicker than at the neck.

That means that the new neck is thicker, and there might not be enough room at the chamber neck to allow case neck expansion and proper bullet release. If the neck is not reamed to the correct inside diameter, the pressure may increase beyond safe levels.

FYI, a poster has reported that in his WWII German rifles the bolt won't close on that Romanian 8x57JS (7.9) ammo. I suggest not making a heavy investment in it until you can check it out.

Jim

Not really a match grade rifle, will it benefit from ultra high quality ammo?

Best solution is start loading your own. You can play with powders and bullets and find what it likes best at much lower cost.

James

Thankyou for the reminder. I measured mine and they were within spec but others might not be so remember this step guys as James has reminded us.

JAMES K, do you notice if the overly thick necks on the reformed 8x57 occur less often if ,25-06, .270Win or .280 Rem is used? I would THINK that the result would be thinner case necks, but perhaps at the price of more split necks. Just wondering.

That means that the new neck is thicker, and there might not be enough room at the chamber neck to allow case neck expansion and proper bullet release. If the neck is not reamed to the correct inside diameter, the pressure may increase beyond safe levels.

FYI, a poster has reported that in his WWII German rifles the bolt won't close on that Romanian 8x57JS (7.9) ammo. I suggest not making a heavy investment in it until you can check it out.

Both good points. The "donut" in the neck can be dangerous and/or cause functional problems although many 8mm Mausers have fairly loose tolerances in the neck/shoulder area to help digest dirty cased ammo.

Participated in vintage shoots with original Gew 98s and 98Ks a few years back. I was top shooter using SPBT bullets between 196 and 220gr and I4350. 4064 was also a winner. If you can get your hands on a Gew 98 with a good bore, I would do so. IMHO this rifle will shoot circles around all other WWI period rifles.

I made some 8X57 brass from some 6.5-06 (converted from .270) I had taking up space in the garage, using the method this guy did in this video: http://youtu.be/m2QunpZ9eGQ. It took a little trial and error to get the initial trim length correct, but other than that it worked well.

I like Privi Partisan ammo, but their 8mm doesn't shoot worth a crap in my guns. I am talking about the standard ~$15/box hunting ammo, not their match stuff.

I had a scout scope mounted to my Russian Capture "AR" 1942 K98k, doing some benchmark testing, using the Privi 196gr SP, and just for grins, tried some handloads I had worked up for a different rifle. From the bench, at 100 yards:

k98_ar42.jpg

Back