Tapping shotgun for rail

I’ve not found any gunsmiths in my area who tap guns. This one they most likely won’t touch for liability reasons if I want the barrel tapped.

My ffl guy let his license lapse. So no gun yet. I did find some aftermarket fiber optics to try for this season. I’m going to revisit this in the spring I think. Having the gun in hand is going to help.

Maybe I missed this but what gun are you tapping? It helps to start out with that so we don't have to guess what your doing or if someone makes a product like what you want.

Second I think you need to hit up a shotgun shell reloading guide. Muzzle velocity at the muzzle is one thing. I'm a fan of 1550 for most loads but the farther it gets out there the slower the bb is traveling. Like reloading rifle a big payload is pushed slower. I saw you're talking about 3 1/2 inch mags so there's got to be a way you can load them 1-1.25 ounces and crank up the speed.

In my pheasant gun using 3 inch winchester super x 1550 #4's i've been able to take birds out to 50 yards but I run a modified choke in my first barrel and full (rated for steel) in the second. This is a steel load since waterfowl can be present and why pass up a shot.

This picture doesn't reflect your situations but it shows what's basically going on.
75shotpen.jpg

Of course with distance also come drop which is an whole other group of shenanigans.

Brazing would be interesting.

That data is exactly what I’m thinking. Were doing the same thing. I’m actually looking at buying bismuth shot. Steel seems to be a pretty big handicap. The way we hunt waterfowl we often get long shots.

What would you say is the limit on range for Steel with a full or super full?

Heat

Any heat applied for soldering or brazing will likely break the bond of the solder holding the rib to the barrel. Adding the mass of a sight attached to the rib may break the rib loose with recoil. A mount that clamps to the barrel would avoid these problems.

What would you say is the limit on range for Steel with a full or super full?

I'd say that depends on what your gun does with those shells. What ever range produces patterns with holes large enough that a properly centered shot will allow the game to escape lethal hits is beyond the your maximum range.

Doesn't matter what the shot is, or the size, what limits your sporting range is pattern density. No matter the distance, or what anyone says the gun/ammo "ought to do", what matters is what the gun/ammo actually does.

And to learn that, you need to pattern at each possible distance. When your pattern gets big enough holes in it, or is sufficiently generally dispersed that you cannot be certain of a clean kill, then you should not shoot at that distance.

Whatever that distance happens to be. and remember it can change with changes in the ammo, or the gun.

The patterning I have a system for. I’m more concerned about lethal velocity. Hitting a big bird at a certain range doesn’t guarantee that it won’t get away. A general range would be a start.

2.75 inch 1 oz steel at 1600 FPS doesn’t seem to be effective past 50 yards.

I have 3.5 in 1.5 oz steel at 1600 as well. I’ve been told to scrap all the steel and move to tungsten and bismuth. I get long shot, not the decoy/blind situation. We float down and snipe them as we go. It used to work decently with number 4 lead. We got the ban on lead when I was a kid so we quit going.

Back