talk me into keeping a 3" 1911

I bought a Colt Defender recently. Absolutely love the gun, but if yours sits in the safe, move it and get something that you want.

Why don’t you simply do what you want, and live with your choices. Asking others to convince you one way or another is simply looking to get others to make choices for you or validate your own. Nothing wrong with selling a gun you don’t use or value, but conversely there is nothing wrong with keeping guns you do not use much if they still have some value to you. Just do it...

"...been wanting one..." That'd be the best reason to go buy one. And you can still keep the .45 Flame Thrower if you want to. It's not really an either/or thing. However, buying firearms on credit(that's what a lay away plan is) isn't a good idea.
"...get my money out of it..." Highly unlikely you ever would. Collector pieces they ain't.
"...laser grips can make for a better site picture..." No sight picture at all with any grip. Grips do not give you a sight picture.

Kreyz
I have the Colt New Agent , same pistol it doesn't have conventional sights only trench rsights , came with CT Laser Grips , also love the gun . I changed the recoil assembly to the EGW recoil assembly , much stronger , one flat spring not a dual spring . 100% reliable , something to look into , the Colt assembly looked pretty flimsy even though it worked fine . I shoot only 230 FMJ's . Sorry for high jacking the post , just felt it was important to pass on the info to horse.

Why don’t you simply do what you want, and live with your choices. Asking others to convince you one way or another is simply looking to get others to make choices for you or validate your own. Nothing wrong with selling a gun you don’t use or value, but conversely there is nothing wrong with keeping guns you do not use much if they still have some value to you. Just do it...
it was just a conversation starter, so take it easy. but yeah, I'm still a little torn but the Kimber will probably stay, for now, I think.

I really like my Colt New Agent. Excellent firearm for up close and personal shooting from the hip. No regular sights needed.

elsancudo
I switched the recoil assembly the. EGW recoil assembly it's built much stronger and uses one flat wire spring not a dual spring . 100% reliable , if you have a chance check it out .

Chris

wish you were closer to me and wanted the kimber but in 4".....i picked up a really nice carry 2 commander, but the 4" barrel is just a little too long for me for comfortable carry so now it sits in the safe as well lol.

No advice here except to relate that the very worst "deals" involving firearms I've made over the years have invariably happened when my eyes became fixated on the latest new and shiny object; had no jingle in my pocket and lost my mind getting rid of a gun I always liked to get another gun I thought I'd like more.

This hasn't been the case every time and there obviously are times when trading up or over makes good sense. But, most the time, saving up to afford the new purchase and keeping the gun you are desperately trying to rationalize why you don't need it anymore is a good idea.

Best of luck with your new Beretta...;) :D

I see so many posts where a person wishes to have others make their decisions for them, for goodness sake review your perceived options and make your own decision. Because I like/dislike a object should by no means influence you as to how you will spend your hard earned cash.

I see so many posts where a person wishes to have others make their decisions for them, for goodness sake review your perceived options and make your own decision. Because I like/dislike a object should by no means influence you as to how you will spend your hard earned cash.
calm yourself Iago, it was just a conversation starter...

I have a Colt 70 series Govt. Model in 45 ACP in nickel that I inherited , sat in he safe until I bought the 3" 1911 for a carry piece . The odd thing is I enjoyed shooting it so much I was afraid of wearing it out and started switching to the 70 series 5" Once you get bit by the 1911 bug your done . Best trigger out there , built for use and can be completely taken down without any special tools. A well built firearm . I have my share of revolvers there a pain to clean for me but also a reliable firearm. For carry autos are flatter and better concealed . I prefer a single stack 7 or 8 shot . Bullets have weight too.

Would never try and talk someone out of a 3 incher, but there are some considerations.

Bought the first version of Colt's Defender and it was as reliable as any 1911 currently owned after the recoil assembly disassembled itself and flew downrange. At the time Kimbers ultra recoil assembly was used to replace it. Glad there are other options now. Finally sold it after the sharp stainless slide wore into the softer frame rails. This learned me to check for sharp edges on similar pistols and break the sharp edges.

Also bought the first version Kimber ultra 3 inch. Fine pistol but sharp edged mag followers and jhp's gouged the alloy feed ramp up pretty good. Learned about Meg-gars 6 round mag with rounded steel follower, and always check their reliability.

Finally got a plain Kimber ultra carry 2 with ramped barrel, which is carried every day during light shirt season in Theis hybrid holster at 3 oclock with FBI slant. Conceals very well, and added an earlier version colt safety and checkered thin grips. Loaded with custom 230 jhps, although another load is in making using coated lead bullet with wide meplat.
http://missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=426&category=5&secondary=13

Bought the first version of SA"S all steel 3 incher for practice, but the slide self destructed after several years of fairly hard use.

As soon as heavy shirt season arrives, change out to commander style with 5 inch barrel.

Last edited:
Back