talk me into keeping a 3" 1911

JERRYS.

I don't have any spare money and I've been wanting one of those Beretta mod. 81 .32acp really bad. I have a 3" Kimber *ultra carry II that has seen some use but now just sits in the safe.....

this is NOT a.32acp vs. .45acp debate.

I have several handguns but the mini 1911 is the least used/carried. the Beretta 81 would get use as a house gun for my daughter plus I just like the .32acp round. I could "save up" but the pool will be dry by then I fear on the Berettas and or the prices will be considerably higher.

I have a G21 for my .45acp needs, so should the Kimber mini 1911 go or should I sit this one out to make sure its just not a fad which would lead to buyer's remorse?

Last edited:
I think you know the answer. The safe inmate needs to go. The Beretta has a cool factor that a petite 1911 simply cannot. And if you aren't using it, put your assets where they'll get the most traffic!

I don't think you'll have any buyers remorse. At least I wouldn't. ;)

My brother has the same Kimber, its a great looking, nice little shooter but it is certainly in no danger of being a collectible. I would go with the Beretta if I weren’t using the Kimber much, life’s to short for a paperweight...:D. If you miss the Kimber you can always get another one down the road.

Big Kimber fan here, have a Pro Carry II. Had one Beretta, a 92f. I hated the Beretta, it was very inaccurate.

You know which one I would keep.

I don't have any spare money and I've been wanting one of those Beretta mod. 81 .32acp really bad. I have a 3" Kimber *ultra carry II that has seen some use but now just sits in the safe.....

I have several handguns but the mini 1911 is the least used/carried. the Beretta 81 would get use as a house gun for my daughter plus I just like the .32acp round. I could "save up" but the pool will be dry by then I fear on the Berettas and or the prices will be considerably higher.

I have a G21 for my .45acp needs, so should the Kimber mini 1911 go or should I sit this one out to make sure its just not a fad which would lead to buyer's remorse?

Go.

Little used, needs otherwise covered. Stubby 1911s are easy enough to aquire, if the itch strikes again. It's trade fodder. Let someone else "enjoy" it.

I also would sell the 3". I had a Springfield V10 stainless 3" that was nice but it was heavier than my Kimber Pro Carry 2 that is commander sized. I never carried it and finally sent it down the road.

I also got one of the Beretta 81's and am happy with it. Cant wait to get the new one to the range.

alright folks. after I finish working this weekend I will start looking at the pawn/gun shops near me to see what other goodies they have in the case.... if I see a Beretta 81 .32 it will traded on the spot. otherwise I will just be window shopping for a while.

I really thought there would be more of a following for the mini 1911s here.

thanks.

I'm not one to sell much, for two reasons. 1) General principle -- the remorse is usually more than you expect. 2) The sale process is usually a total PITA unless you take a hit on the price.

However, there are exceptional cases, and this one may very well qualify. Go to gunbroker and take a look at recent sale prices of older/used 81's. Eventually (let's say after a couple years), the nicer surplus ones should approach that price level. I'd much rather be holding onto two hand-select 81's right now than one generic and used shorty Kimber. Especially if it's a safe queen.

The 81 is likely going to be a very fun (if surprisingly expensive to feed) shooter.

I'm not one to sell much, for two reasons. 1) General principle -- the remorse is usually more than you expect. 2) The sale process is usually a total PITA unless you take a hit on the price.

However, there are exceptional cases, and this one may very well qualify. Go to gunbroker and take a look at recent sale prices of older/used 81's. Eventually (let's say after a couple years), the nicer surplus ones should approach that price level. I'd much rather be holding onto two hand-select 81's right now than one generic and used shorty Kimber. Especially if it's a safe queen.

The 81 is likely going to be a very fun (if surprisingly expensive to feed) shooter.
the time with the gun has been paid for. its no longer a get my money out of it sort of thing anymore. its get what you'd rather have sort of thing.

the time with the gun has been paid for. its no longer a get my money out of it sort of thing anymore. its get what you'd rather have sort of thing.

Sure, and I've totally been there -- "pre-transaction thoughts." On the other side of a trade, you'll be thinking "Once I had a Kimber, now I have a _____."

Just trying to say the whole process is much easier if you can pat yourself on the back from a value perspective. And in this case, you probably can. No reason not to go for it.

I have a Colt New Agent in 45ACP , strictly a carry piece , it came with CT Laser Grips . The pistol doesn't have conventional sights only trench sights . It's my favorite and shooting with laser grips is a first for me , makes it such a fun gun . The Kimber is very similar , have you tried laser grips , just might bring back the interest that made you buy it in the first place , it is a beauty , plus you'll lose alot on a trade in . I practice once a week and my fear is wearing it out

I get the impression often here that many gun owners don't have a "harem" full of classic firearms. I'm not a Kimber fan but would never be without a 1911, and certainly wouldn't sell one to buy a gob of plastic. I'm just an old geezer I guess, but plastic and aluminum guns are not treasures for me.

And for self defense the .32 ACP could cost you or your loved one's their lives. I own at least two classic .32's, but they wouldn't be what I'd grab for defense. I did own a Kimber full size .45 1911, extremely accurate but I got rid of it because of the many MIM parts, being a machinist I don't trust it, and have had an MIM part fail in use, transforming the gun into a poor club.

I have a Colt New Agent in 45ACP , strictly a carry piece , it came with CT Laser Grips . The pistol doesn't have conventional sights only trench sights . It's my favorite and shooting with laser grips is a first for me , makes it such a fun gun . The Kimber is very similar , have you tried laser grips , just might bring back the interest that made you buy it in the first place , it is a beauty , plus you'll lose alot on a trade in . I practice once a week and my fear is wearing it out
I second this post, laser grips can make for a better site picture.

If you no longer want the Kimber, then by all means, sell it and move on. However, my two cents on getting a Beretta 81 is that they are super cheap right now from various online sellers and I would just figure out how to scrape up the dough and buy one before selling the Kimber. There is no way in hell I would trade one straight up for the Beretta and if money is as tight as you indicated in your first post, then I think it would behoove you to sell it yourself and maximize your return.

I have a couple guns in .32acp and as far as I am concerned, the best thing I can say about the caliber as a self defense round, it is that it's certainly better than nothing, but just barely.

Back