Tale of two rifles / Model 1903 action strength

I think if the shock of a hammer or being dropped can break a low number receiver, I'm sure that the shock of even a light load of powder could do it, as well.

Sorry, but if I ever come into possession of one it will be honorably retired and never fired.

I agree with Mike on this

The risk is simply too great. Steel doesn't improve with age anyway, and going into the equation knowing such a big question mark existed back when they were brand new makes choosing to shoot the rifle despite knowing these things a form of madness in my opinion

I'm sure the receivers could be tested

But on one hand, I think that if a receiver was incompletely treated, hardness testing in one area may not mean integrity overall regardless of the results of testing. On the other hand, the average Joe doesn't have the means to do it in his basement, which presumably means some type of money is paid to have the test done.

"Cant you just do a Rockwell Hardness Test on the reciever to determine if its britle?"

As I understand it, that only tests the surface.

The surface of an action is supposed to be hard, but the metal in the core is not supposed to be hard, it's supposed to be a lot more malleable. That's what gives the action its strength - the combination of those two properties.

In that sense it's a lot like safety glass, a lot more durable than standard window glass of the same thickness.

If, however, the metal is the same hardness all the way through, it becomes brittle and is prone to shattering, which makes it more like regular glass.

Back