Taking the plunge. looking for my first revolver

Bill Ruger sold us out way before S&W. Heck, he is responsible for the 10 round mags :P By a Uberti if you can't afford the Colt Single Action. The Colt Cowboy is over priced for as cheap as it is made. I don't think the case hardening is even real.

Best choices have been mentioned for the most part and I'd be hard pressed to put one ahead of the other. S&W 686, Ruger GP100, and Taurus 608 revolvers are all top of the heap. I doubt you can go wrong with any of the three. Best advice I can tell you is to get to the range and shoot all three of them. I can tell you that I only slightly prefer the 686 to the others simply because it fits my hand better. YMMV. Rugers are the toughest. Kudos for over-engineering. S&W's are the most accurate and have the best trigger/actions. They are pure silk. Taurus gives you 8 rounds of death and is no slouch in the accuracy department either. Any of these in the 4" configuration would suit your needs to a tee. Bottom line, shoot them all and pick the one that fits your hand the best.

Regards,

Warm Bore

I'm going through 1st revolver puchase anxiety myself right now, and S&W is the _only_ choice since I live in MA. The question is: 686+ in 4" or 6" barrels or a 629 in 6"?

The revolver will be used extensively for target, with possible usage in some form of competition. Carry is not a concern, neither is recoil, and I know the .44Mag ammo is much more expensive. Basically I need help making up my mind :D

Shazbat:

You can get Ruger revolvers in MA. I'm told that the Village Gun Shop in Northboro sells them.

What type of competition? If you are thinking IDPA, then it has to have 4" barrel or less. Nevertheless, I'd start with a .357 first.

Smiley:

Can't see any advantages in a .44mag for home defense and there are definitely disadvantages. To start with .44MAG and .44Spcl ammo is MUCH more expensive and harder to find than either .38Spcl or .357Mag. And the .44Mag recoils more too. For home defense, .357 Mag is more than adequate and much cheaper.

I would recommend a 4" medium-framed gun, either Ruger GP100 or S&W Model 66. The Ruger is stronger. The S&W has a better trigger. Regarding the S&W 686 -- it's a fine gun, but I find the 66 balances better for me. And I don't shoot all that many full-boat .357Mag loads anyways.

If you don't want to buy a new S&W, there's plenty of used around.

M1911

:( AKAIK Ruger has not certified their handguns for sale in MA, used are available but there are very few to be found. But thanks for the tip on Village gun shop, I've never been there.

I wasn't thinking of any comp. in particular, but what does one lose as far as accuracy from a 4" barrel as opposed to a 6" barrel? (Other than a longer sight radius)

Thanks!

Shazbat:

I think the main thing you would lose is sight radius. Within 25 yards, I don't think you'd see much difference if you put them in a ransom rest.

You'll have to be more specific on what type of target shooting you want to do, as different types of shooting require different guns. For IDPA, you have to go 4". For pin shooting, I can't see where you'd want more than 5". For silhouette shooting, 6".

For hunting, you can get more velocity out of a 6", so that might be important.

If you're just talking about plinking, I'd take the 4" -- better balanced.

M1911

[Edited by M1911 on 03-22-2001 at 02:49 PM]

Add me to the....

Ruger GP100 column.

I have two, both 4". With the Wolff spring kit, I'll match the action with any of my (pre-deal) S&W's. They're just plain nice to shoot and nice to look at. All the other reasons for owning one are just the cream on top.

Try one - you'll like it. :D

Back