Taking the plunge. looking for my first revolver

Smiley

I am about to take the plunge and move from semi-autos and purchase a revolver. I first learned to shoot on my father's Colt .357 magnum. So I want to buy a 4 inch .357 magnum. I would also be open to .44 magnum but only if there would be a distinct advantage in HD an range. I have looked at Taurus and Ruger mostly because I don't really want to get a S&W for mainly personal preference and choice. Oh yeah and that whole deal with the devil thing. I am really interested in the Taurus revolvers specifically the the 627. How are the Titanium models holding up? How is Taurus's quality and relibility? I would most likly getting new grips anyways since I love to customize stuff. Also, a trigger job would be later on in the schedule. This revolver would be mainly for range time and Home Defense when necassary. I already carry so most likley it would be a gun to carry while in the house. I already know about the key lock or some kond of saftey like that. But that doesn't bother me much if I can just take it off and leave it off. My HK has the same thing.

I also saw on COlts website that they are selling a Colt Cowboy. Kind of like the single action army. Is this true and how much would it cost. I always wanted a single action army so this may be a option.

Thanks a bunch and let me know of there are any options that I haven't thought of.

Smiley,

The Ruger GP100 was my choice, and I love the 4" stainless full lug barrel on mine.

Why take a chance on a Taurus, when you can have a proven rugged, reliable, inexpensive, and accurate Ruger, for nearly the same price?

The newer Taurus guns are said to be better than in the past, but both Taurus guns I've shot lately, were very disappointing. The 357 revolver shot no where near point of aim, and the front sight was so far out of alignment, it should have been rejected by the dealer!

The PT111 I own, has the worst DAO trigger of any gun I've ever fired, and for that reason, sits unused in it's case. It also has a poor reputation for reliability, though mine has not failed in many hundreds of rounds.

Get the Ruger, and never look back!

Bill

I recently went through the same process and chose a Ruger model GP-161. This is the blued, six-inch, adjustable sight, and full-barrel-lug version. I also looked at some used S&W model 686s. The 686 had a better trigger, but I handload and wanted the stronger Ruger pistol (I handload some scorching 125 grain loads). I had a Taurus model 669 once and it was ok, but the Ruger and S&W pistols had better triggers and better sights.

Bottom line: Ruger GP100 series - first choice, used S&W 686 - second choice.

Be sure to check out the new Taurus 608. It is a large frame 8 shot, yes I said 8 shot, 357. It comes in 4, 6, or 8 inch barrels....

Smiley,

While I don't totally agree with the S&W is the anti-christ school of thought, I can understand you not wishing to support their current leadership.

Even so, I my not so humble opinion, the S&W line of revolvers covers the whole gamut of handgun needs ranging from small concealment models to large hunting handguns. Since the quality of current S&W products, and the frame mounted firing pin leave me cold, I suggest you shop around for a good used S&W. For home defense use, and most CCW duty, you can not go wrong with the K-Frame and L-frame sixed guns. Nothing like a M-19 in my opinion.

For small powerful concealment, the J-frame .357 magnums are about as good as they get.

I don't care for the titanium models. The ones I've examined felt like cheap toys. I don't think I'd enjoy shooting them with full power loads. I very much prefer the strength and duribility of steel.

As for the Colt Cowboy, it is an over priced lesser quality knock-off of the Ruger Vaquero. Either get a real Single-Action Army, and Italian SAA-Clone, or a Ruger Vaquero. The Cowboy isn't worth the extra money just for the Colt name on the side.

Doc Hudson

Ruger KGP-141 (four-inch stainless GP-100)

The TFL archives are loaded with commendations for the KGP-141. I own two; they are superb revolvers. No doubt some Smiths and older Colts are also outstanding, but you'll not find a better value than the KGP-141.

Smiley,

If you're open to a .44 Magnum, IMO that's the way to go. Since you say your revolver would be a house gun, a .44 Mag. loaded with .44 Special JHPs would have less recoil, noise, and muzzle blast than a .357 Mag. and more hitting power than a .38 Spl.

The Taurus wheelguns that I've owned and shot were of high quality. Or you could go with a used S&W 29 or 629.

I have a taurus 85, 38 special and can find nothing to complain about in this gun. I know several other people with the same model and it's performed flawlessly. On the other hand a friend of mine used to have one of the titanium ones and got rid of it because it was so hard to shoot. We think it was just too dang light. I just got a ruger security six with a six inch barrel and it seems to be as close to perfect as I could want, the guy that owned it before me had some trigger work done on it I believe, he liked to shoot matches.
I've developed a hankerin' for larger rounds recently and am wondering about the taurus raging bull.

Although I respect your second ammendment rights, I feel I should tell you about my S&W mod 19-5, in .357 Magnum. It is extremely reliable, dead accurate and comfortable to shoot .38 Spl. all day long...It will take all of the commercial .357 loads easily and without fault, so 2nd Ammendment aside... what the heck.
...(Besides, in Canada, we're already past our necks with gun control)...:)

Interesting to read. We have shot 2&4 inch S&W's with true Hydra-shoks in tests and gotten 800fps in 2" and 875+in 4". They tend to mushroom well when most JHP will not from the 2". The new Personal defense ammo wont do this well. The 357 with JHP's in a good load are about the best all-around HD ammo for a revolver. BUT the best HD gun is still a short barreled 12 gauge.

I've got a twenty year old Ruger Security Six. It's a darn good gun and I'll never sell it, it will be bequeathed to a good member of the gun culture when I die as will all my firearms. But I've got two pre-sellout S&W 29's and will be buying a 27-2 tomorrow and plan on buying a few more pre1982 S&W revolvers in the next couple of years. I've never shot a Taurus but I've handled a few in the last couple of years and dry fired them with the owner's permission. They didn't have the "feel" of the S&W's and the double and single action trigger pull was no comparison to the Smith.

Rugers are good revolvers, no question. You won't go wrong with them and I will admit freely that if very hot handloads are your thing then several of their models are the way to go. But if the hot handloads is not part of your equation then, in my book, pre-sellout S&W is the way to go. You might want to find a Dan Wesson to look at, by the way. Had a Pistol Pack back in the '70's. Trading it was what broke me of trading.

Oh, I firmly agree that if home defense is the priority here then get a good short barreled shotgun. My home defense gun is a Mossberg 590 with a 20 inch barrel and ghost ring sights...and a selective fire Uzi:)

You might look around for a good used K frame. I have an old model 66 that fills the role you describe. wonderful trigger and balance. I saw one in a gunshop other day in v.good condition for $245.
None of the aforementioned revolvers would be a bad choice.

Good GP Revolver

I picked up a police trade-in Model 65 stainless 4" bbl, looked as if it had hardly been shot. Plus, it had nice small wood grips which lets the wife shoot .38's in it easily. For $250 +/- $25 I'd say it's a good choice if it fits. Just my two cents...

La perte des armes est la fin de la liberte.

Ruger: yes. S&W: maybe. Taurus: no.
The .357 is the best caliber for a first revolver. Tons of different factory loads; reloading opportunities unlimited.
I favor the SA revolver, but for the one-gun man a 4" DA makes sense indeed.
I have shot a couple of the now-discontinued Ruger Security Sixes, and wouldn't mind owning a 4" Stainless in this model. I like it better than the GP100 series, 'tho it's not as beefy a gun.
There are lots of used S&W's floating around. Pick a good one, and you'll have a nice shooter UNTIL it needs factory service somewhere down the road. Same goes for Colt, with the proviso that no NEW Colts are worth buying, and old ones aren't as robust and reliable as Smiths.
I've never met a Taurus I liked. Those of you who have good ones have my congratulations, but if there were a thousand of you, I still wouldn't recommend them to the thousand and first guy who came along.

I have suggested this many times; for a first gun, or a first 357 Magnum, or a "one gun only", or a gun for home defense, or a "first revolver" -- the Ruger stainless 4" GP100 (KGP-141).

It will last many lifetimes, is normally accurate in the extreme, and provides superior owner satisfaction.

Very best choice, in my NSHOAE. (own two - $ where mouth is)

Back