Taking first polygraph

theinvisibleheart said:
just relax, be honest, and make sure you understand the full extent of the questions.

Yikes! That's the last thing I'd advise!

First thing, do you really want this job? If you have any doubts, come to Wisconsin and I'll teach you a trade!

I have no respect for anyone who tells you how to think, act and feel. It's simply a modern rendition of "double-think."

Drink a little vinegar so your stomach is queasy. Think about sex or a tax audit. Think about the goose-stepping maggot who is doing this to you. When they first calibrate the machine to your unique responses, calmly tell them out-right lies!

A lie detector is at best 66% accurate. Modern devices have not improved that number as much as they claim. I just watched the guys from Mythbusters beat their latest model.

My own Father once told me he couldn't tell if I was lying unless he really knew the answer.

No one has the right to know your private thoughts and feelings.

chris in va said:
I'm not trying to skimp, but honestly I simply don't have much money. Apparently Loomis pays $100 toward purchase, then takes out 'x' amount every paycheck.

What do they pay if you get shot/killed?

I've always had a problem with chickenpoop outfits that expect you to outfit yourself for their gain. And that includes a good number of police departments, sheriff's departments and private so-called security outfits.

It would be like joining the military and being told I had to buy my own combat boots, rifle and fatigues--but they would handle all transportation to and from the battlefield.

Check around with the local police departments where you're at, and even further up north in the Quantico area. See if there are any spare vests available from retiring officers/agents. You'd be surprised at what kind of a deal you can sometimes get.

If not, get a credit card (and by the way, I hate credit cards--rarely ever use them), and get the best armor you can buy. Better to be bankrupt than dead.

Jeff

The polygraph adminstrator asked me, "Have you ever had sexual intercourse with an animal?" The question made me so upset, I 'showed' deception.

The next time I took the polygraph with a different agency, they asked the same question and I passed with flying colors. I'll tell you what I learned: I'll never take another polygraph again, and I don't care what happens to me.

Alright guys, took the test.

The interviewer talked to me for about 30 minutes concerning his time in the military, since he saw I was in the AF. I suspect it was a 'softening up' thing, or maybe he simply wanted to chat. Probably looking to see if I was nervous or trying to hide anything.

The test itself was very short, only about 10 minutes. Cuff on left arm, chest expansion sensors on my chest (looked like baffles) and two clip on doodads for my fingers.

He told me to be perfectly still as any movement would show a false reading. Asked some baseline questions such as my name (a few times) then proceeded to the stealing/drugs part. A couple breaks to let my left arm get some feeling back from the cuff.

Test results..."probable lack of deception". I passed.

Most poly exams ask yes/no questions to give background checks some depth and/or areas to focus in on.

I had one and they asked "Have you ever stolen anything from an employer?" - I answered "Yes". In the post-poly interview I was asked about it and said I have sometimes walked out with a ballpoint pen and tried to bring them back the next shift... but not always successfully. What they really wanted to know is if I'd stolen anything of serious value (over $50 or so).

Oh.. and the poly examiner looked up at me when he asked that "sex with animal" question too. It wasn't something he really mentioned or I recalled in the pre-poly meeting and I guess the revulsion to the idea showed pretty strongly.

After that one test, which wasn't that bad, I talked to the operator and he said some guys are unethical and ask questions far unrelated to a case at hand just to see what they can stir up (such as asking if you've ever had sex with a minor, while investigating a theft case). I decided then and there I was never going to take another polygraph again.

I've taken a few polygraphs, but never passed one. Having a weird personality is a problem on a lie detector, since it's intended to detect deception in normal people.

I'd prefer being weighed with a duck.

But if you're a sociopath, you'll have no problem.

Back