Taking first polygraph

chris in va

I wasn't sure where to put this.

I'm going through the process of hiring with Loomis. They want a polygraph wednesday, and not really sure what to expect as it's my first one ever. Tips/hints are welcome.

Also anyone know what a good bullet resistant vest is? I'm sure they'll tell me, but wanted everyone's opinion. They're making us pay for it so something not terribly expensive would be nice.

relax

just relax, be honest, and make sure you understand the full extent of the questions.

I've taken numerous polygraphs and had being through several background checks/drug test/polygraph for private and government jobs.

Good luck!

--J

Just relax and be unpfront when answering the questions. Polygraphs measure respiration, sweat, heart beat and similar factors. Polygraphs do not tell a lie from the truth, but pick up on systemic involuntary physical reactions to questions asked.

Last edited:
Remember that the test is entirely unscientific and there is a lot of deception on the part of the examiner. http://antipolygraph.org has some very interesting articles and free e-books that I recommend reading before you go. Knowing how the "test" actually works is very eye opening.

As JBriggs notes, all the best polygraph examiner can do is tell that specific questions/subjects cause your body to give off measurable indicia of stress. It's a very expensive anxiety detector. These indicia are not readily (if at all) subject to control by the subject.

I have limited experience, but the pre-employment screening was not an adversarial encounter at all. The examiner was not trying to deceive me, and went to great, exaggerated lengths to explain the process and what he could and could not discern with all his hardware.

The examiner may well brief you extensively beforehand about the areas he will cover and may question you in exacting detail before he ever hooks you up, to make sure any possible stressful areas are in the open prior to the exam.

My question to you has to do with your comment on body armor. It seems any attempt to rob a courier like Loomis is likely to be sudden and quite violent. Don't hear of too many "gentlemen bandits" holding up armored cars. Why would you skimp on your body armor?

i've never heard of body armor described as "bullet-resistant". does that come in a spray? just joking partner!! just felt like a kid with that one....

but no joke man, buy the very best vest you can! don't go cheap on something that important....please. saving a couple of dollars isn't worth that trouble.

You want armor that at least meets type IIIA standards. don't skimp it could cost you your life. Oh and full wraparound. It needs to be fitted.

Mythbusters did a segment on polygraphy recently. Looks like it's a very grueling process, particularly if you're guilty, and very difficult to fool. I'll be interested to review that site's discussion of the episode.

It may be difficult to fool, but the point that bothers me is that there can be false positives and false negatives with it, and using that as a basis for hiring or firing people isn't right.

Evidence or testimony obtained by way of polygraph does not hold any weight in a courtroom, so why with so many govt. agencies.

What was it, sometime in the late 90s or so, wasn't there some controversy where a group of very qualified individuals who could not get hired into the FBI and similar agencies based solely on them not being able to pass the polygraph?

Why would you skimp on your body armor?

I'm not trying to skimp, but honestly I simply don't have much money. Apparently Loomis pays $100 toward purchase, then takes out 'x' amount every paycheck.

I wonder if there's any good used armor out there...hmm.

"Polygraph" sounds so scientific, but it's not. It's a nervousness detector. You just happen to have a better chance of not being nervous if you are telling the truth.

Relax, tell the truth, but when you go in there try to think of it as entertainment. The bunco-machine operator will try to be a solemn killjoy, but treat the process like a fun mental game. Lots of people fail polygraphs because they are overly worried about the process and results.

Back in the 70's I knew a guy who was a real wild character, but he wanted a job on an oil rig for some reason. He beat the box by taking qualudes before the test. Apparently, a human pile of goo does not react much one way or another.

That's something I would advise against and besides that, I don't think they make qualudes anymore anyway.:)

you can sometimes find used armor, You need to be careful about used armor. it has expiration dates. expired armor is not reliable. Find the Serial number on the armor and call the mfg.

Just be honest. I had to take one not long ago going through a LEO application process. It's really not all that bad. Get plenty of sleep before hand, don't take any meds (unless you have too, they'll ask), and try not to dwell too much. When I took mine we went through all the questions before I got hooked up so we would know what I was going to answer before the machine got a hold of me. There were no suprises, as suprise would throw off the accuracy of the polygraph (I think).

As others have said, it's a nervousness detector and not really all that scientific (in my opinion). Mine went fine except for a heart rate spike when he asked me one question. I'd said before hand it was an issue I worried about from time to time because it's one of the few areas I've ever second guessed myself. I was nervous I wouldn't be believed when I answered that question, the poly showed that. Examiner told me it was no big deal as it wasn't one of the important questions anyway. Right.

If being accused of dishonesty gets you riled up, the machine will detect it, even if you are being honest. Happened to me.

It detects anxiety, and is pretty good at that.
If you are anxious because you lied it shows.
If you are just anxious period it shows.

Most people get anxious if they are lying.

It is not very hard to 'fool' the poly to make the test inconclusive.
The hitch is that you must pass to their satisfaction.

If you are clean just calm down and answer the questions.
Each and every question should be reviewed and explained before the actual exam.

I get polyed every 5-8 years for security clearances.

Polygraphs are a lever to get you to start talking.

"Interviewer" asks a yes/no question.
You answer
They say "would you care to elaborate on that?"
You answer "No"
"Interviewer" continues to try and break into your head...

Or

"Interviewer" asks a yes/no question.
You answer
They say "would you care to elaborate on that?"
You answer "Yes" and start babbling about whatever.
"Interviewer" smiles to himself and keeps messing with you.

If being accused of dishonesty gets you riled up, the machine will detect it, even if you are being honest. Happened to me.

Or if a question/concept they ask you (say on a personal lifestyle poly) is so abhorrent to you that your entire body clenches up in disgust, that can be read as a false positive as well.

Too late now, but my BG investigator went over the questions he was going to ask me at least 3 times before the actual test. It was no big deal since I had nothing to hide.

Just kind of curious, but what sort of questions do they ask? I generally think myself to be a reasonably stand up guy, but anyone can think of ways to make someone look bad if they try hard enough. I had a couple ex roommates in my early 20's who I wouldn't be surprised to find in jail now and maybe occasionally refrained from telling a blind date or two to not have that last drink because it was getting late--are we talking that ballpark or whether or not was I on the grassy knoll?

Back