tail between my legs...

Some of my best students have been female, don't dismiss them so easily. If your manhood is threatened by being outshot by a woman than you are pretty unsure of your manhood. In 1972 I stood alongside of Kim Dyer woman national champion at the time and in 3 days I out shot her only once, '22 rapid fire' string where I out Xed her for a perfect score. Didn't bother me a bit, in fact anytime you can stand next to a pretty girl and shoot is a good day. Besides most of the other men there that year also got outshot by her, I was just one of a few hundred of the best shooters in the Army and Army Reserve.

Nothing makes me happier than to see women and girls on the range shooting, we need a lot more of them. By the way my girl shot high enough with my 1911A1 45 ACP when she was 12 years old to qualify for the Army Expert medal back in 1991. I suppose that would make a few of you nervous too. :D

I took a girl shooting with my 30-06 with super low power loads, and I've never seen anyone take to shooting like she did. She loved the power, the recoil, the noise, and she was accurate.

Very gratifying to see. She was also drop dead beautiful, and very much loved.

I think that the percentage of women who take the sport very seriously outweighs the number of men who do. I've never seen a woman who didn't approach it with real enthusiasm for getting it right.

My daughter's first revolver shoot

I had to teach her how to hold the gun, how to cock it and how to pull the trigger. I put her about ten feet from the 9-inch foam plate and coached her throught the first five shots. She did the reload and mixed SA and DA shots by herself. A paper cup covered the group. :D

When her hubby saw that plate he said, "Wow! Honey, you can have anything you want." :)

At our annual range training everyone puts up a buck and high shooter takes the pot which usually adds up to enough to buy lunch. This year it came down to a shoot of between me and another guy. Range instructor decided a 1 round shoot off was in order and it goes like this. An AR-15 on the bench, action closed on an empty chamber, inserted magazine with one round, several B-27 targets set up down range at 100yds numbered left to right. Shooter sits in a chair about 10 feet from the bench, range instructor yells out a target #, shooter jumps up, runs to the bench, charges the chamber and fires the one round from whatever position he is comfortable with. Only head shots count in the shoot off and fastest time wins. You'd be amazed at the # of people that forget to charge the chamber or flick the safety off. I ended up winning this year because the other guy forgot the safety and then got rattled when the rifle didn't go off. I really like this drill for 2 reasons: Target acquisition drills are excellent practice and anytime you can shoot under pressure will help prepare you for an emergency.

By the way, my wife can out shoot me pretty much any day of the week. She's much more methodical than I am and I have a tendency to shoot too fast. She had no bad habits when I taught her to shoot and I really tried not to teach her mine, worked out pretty well too.

Stu

"Fragile egos don't do well with anything. I'm figuring turner has pretty good confidence in himself, or he wouldn't have posted this in the first place. Sounds to me as if he went out, learned something that he needed to correct, and will go back to the range knowing how to work it out."

exactly...this has nothing to do with my ego...tail between my legs was about not being anywhere near as good as I thought I was...my Mom had 20 years of gun training as a police officer...I'd actually be a little worried if she didn't do better than me

Back