tactical sling for flashlights

951 Lumens ? Man that is 8 times more powerful than a sure fire Turbo head (120 lumens) ! Is that a standard MEASURED lumen? :confused:

Gordo B

The power plant (batteries) are sending 10.8 volts to the bulb, the bare bulb meassure at the manufacturer produces 1234 lumens, the 951 figure is after factoring the customary 23% loss of light thru reflector and reflection from the lens.

The 8% losses thru reflection from the lens, could have been reduced by 6% with the use of a clear anti-reflection coating (same as they reduce light loss in binoculars and scopes) but the heat of this lamp is so intense that eventually will cook a halo in the coating.

So the lens is a regular Pyrex without anti-reflection coating.

black bear 84

Lymeyfellow,
Yes you are right!!!
I would have edited some of the post and some of the pictures (to avoid more flak) but I don't have that option.

So I propose at least to change the name from "tactical" to practical

black bear 84

Man, black bear 84, those are some horrific pictures. There are only a few things wrong with the "proper procedure" of the reload picture depicted.

First, most mags won't drop free if the attempt to eject is with the mag not generally pointed in a downward direction. In the lateral depiction shown, the mag very well may not fully eject. From the looks of things, he is attempting a combat reload, only the slide isn't locked back. If he is doing an administrative reload, his off hand is slow to be in the correct position to collect the partially spent mag.
Second, why is the gun pointed at the ceiling. Are their bad guys on the second floor?
Third, why is he looking at his gun? Is the gun his threat or does he not have the ability to change mags without looking at the gun? Since the slide is not locked back, I am assuming there is still a round in the chamber. If so, there is NO reason the gun's muzzle should be removed from the direction of the threat. What the gun is still capable of being fired, the way it is being held will not allow the person running the gun to shoot that one remaining shot very quickly at the threat if said threat isn't on the ceiling or the floor above.

The tactical sling for the flashlight is just too much. The light is SO big that it cannot be handled single handed and can't be handled safely and efficiently with a lanyard on the single hand. Me thinks the light is just too big and heavy if you have to have a sling.

Also, given the intensity of the light of the 951, the position in which the light is being held is going to give a LOT of reflected light back to the person holding the light. His gun arm and hand, plus the shiny rear of the stainless gun, will be essentially over-exposed and close to his face, resulting in a constriction of the pupils to compensate and thereby limit his ability to see dimmer objects beyond his gun.

So aside from the finger on the trigger of a cocked and loaded gun, there seems to be a lot of things demonstrated wrong in the images provided. So instead of editing the pictures, you decided to show the pictures so as to promote a product even though the pictures depict unsafe gun handling. That doesn't seem like a good thing to me, but I am not the one trying to hype a product.

Double Naught Spy,

You evaluation of the pistol handling is correct; I don't have any trouble with what you wrote about it.

Your evaluation of the "big flashlight" is open to discussion by thousands of cops and hundred of thousands of civilians that still use one.
After all the Surefire 6 was born in 1988 and it was not tactical as it required two hands to switch it on.
Where you using flashlights those days with the Rogers-Surefire or the Harries position??

When you demonstrate that you don't know what you are talking about is when you talk about a LOT of reflection and contracting pupils.
It just you have tried before typing!! Not even my 2,000,000 candlepower spotlight do THAT, even when put right behind the pistol.
And for your information, Colt .45 in stainless have matte finished back of slide, hammer etc.

The sling is a good idea no matter what you or others say, that it don't apply to your particular scenario it don't matter. It will be useful for others, but it doesn’t matter to me as I am not selling the sling or care what you people do with the idea.

I was willing to edit or delete the thing because I was tired of so much Bravo-Sierra been thrown my way.
So, if the moderator can do so, I'll appreciate it.

black bear 84

Black Bear 84
Sorry if the feed back resulted in hurt feelings. You did advance this as a highly tactical piece of equipment and technique. Any technique or tool that is advocated for those going in harms way must be evaluated for both it's good and bad points. Part of the process in refining a method is critical evaluation. Some methods need tweeking, others an early retirement.

Black Bear 84
No chance of me going to a course, I hear that they are very intensive and I am 60 years old.
You perhaps underrate yourself; and besides there are a great many courses to suit the varying needs and abilities of individual people.

Blackbear;
The sling would be of good use for me,I am a railroader and work much too often at night, to be able to "let go the light " without setting down and retrieving,and seeing my footing while carrying tools etc. This is a grand idea

The real 'tactical' use of a flashlight while firing a gun requires (well, you can do anything you want, of course, but IMHO it 'requires') that the flashlight be held coincident to the point of aim. Can be done with a MagLight (did it with Kel-Lights-how's THAT for being old!), but it's easier to do with a smaller, tailcap operated light.

I'd think the more 'tactical' use for your light would be the old, arm's length 'searching' position, especially if one has a light on the gun already.

Larry

Larry,

My light (The MAG 951) put so much light all over the place that you don't have to use the old "search" position, panning the light is not needed, the entire room is illuminated.

Ilike the position with thelight in top of my head, the light fell in the sights and you can see even the 1911 small military ones perfectly.

But since putting the Crimson Trace Laser Grips, I dont have to worry to get the sights, I can shoot from the hip if I want and the flashlight can be in any position as long as is to the front.

AH!! Nostalgic!! You talking about Kel-Lites, My first quality flashlight after the Eveready Captain and the Ray-O-Vac Sportmans!!

Here are two that I bought in 1977 from Bianchi Leather Goods in EL Paso.
Two "C" and Three "C"
But now they are modified the 2 C uses three 123's in a sleeve and a KPR 112.
and the 3 C uses four 123's and a Carley 717 bulb.
Very bright lights.

kellites2-3c.jpg

Best regards
black bear 84

Back