Tactical shooting stances...

mattd

Hey there...I was just wondering if anyone has some good gouge on tactical shooting stances (body posture, position, etc.) like maybe a website with pictures. I've read a little about the modified Weaver and the Isoceles (sp?) and was wondering what else is out there? I watched "Black Hawk Down" tonight and was intrigued by what I saw...which was probably Hollywood, but still unlike anything I've seen at the range. Thanks in advance...

Matt

<---------Still trying to think of a creative tagline.

Ok...according to this website with pictures, I'm doing the "modern Weaver" or some variation. Actaully, it looks like something I saw on TV and seems to be pretty acurate, but not as acurate as I could be. And they say TV rots your brain...Geesh!

I teach a sort of "fighters Stance". Its similar to the weaver, but you are more in a boxer/martial artist stance. Imagine the stance you would be in if attacked, and adopt a comfortable position for shooting, ie. shoulders up and forward, knees bent, a more aggresive weaver. The most important things are comfort, good accuracy, and a plan not to just stand there and go toe-to-toe, but escape and seek cover.
Fail to prepare/ prepare to fail.

Geez, I dunno man. I went to Yahoo and did a search of 'Tactical Shooting' and got thousands of hits. I think on the first page was a site called Midwest Shooting Academy or some such thing. Anyway, it had a good set of pictures of the author in various stances, with a page or so explanation of each. I can't remember the specific name, but it was Midwest Shooting something something. Overall, I keep reading 'go with what works for you' and that seems to make sense. The guy at the indoor range just about laughed at me because I didn't want to use his 'Isoceles' that he'd just taught my two friends with much improvement. I guess there's a lot to be said about the 'old school' way of doing things. Just my $.02 worth.

Matt

<-----Still trying to think up a creative tagline.

Matt,

What intrigued you in Black Hawk Down? Stances and shoting positions are usually quite modified to take advantage of cover and concealment.

Welcome to TFL...

Jeff

Jeff:

In several scenes of the movie (I know it's just a movie), the D-boys switch to side arms after running dry magazines in their rifles. I'd love to be able to draw, acquire the target and fire with accuracy, all while on the move. Granted, it's not running, but walking aggressively towards the target, and being able to engage it with repeated well-placed shots. It certainly appears to the untrained eye (mine) that a "walking" modified Weaver was the basis for these, but I'm no expert. I dunno, like I said maybe it's all Hollywood. But those skills are admirable, and maybe I'm just getting bored shooting paper targets on a lane. I need to check out this IPSC thing I keep hearing about. It sounds like fun.

Matt

It wasn't Hollywood....

Matt,

You saw the operators doing a very common transition and shoot on the move drill. Simply stated, it involves using whatever position (weaver, modified weaver, isosolies) and moving towards the target in a bent knee walk commonly known as the groucho walk. Walking with bent knees keeps you from bobbing up and down so much and allows you to maintain a good sight picture while moving.

Jeff

Wow...all great intel. It looks like I came to the right place. Regarding the Weaver vs. Isoceles discussion, IMHO it feels easier to recover in between shots by using a bent arm down on the weak side at about a 45 degree angle (left), which is also using the left index finger to brace around the tactical guard. The right arm (my stong side) is just slightly straighter but not locked as my aim is parallel to my forearm holding the weapon. I really took to heart the comment about approaching the target in a 'martial arts' type of stance, and that feels intuitive (for me, the left side leads)...making the cross-section a smaller target, while enabling the upper body to maneuver the weapon easier. In my mind, this would also lend itself to a simplier employment of the Groucho walk. In thoery anyways...

Thanks for the gouge on IPSC, I'll check it out. I'll also get Mr. Humphries input...would like to know a little more about his background and thoughts on the above.

Matt, are you referring to the double tap, advancing headshot sequence...When the Delta Op is shooting drills on the beach?

That wasn't an illustration of the groucho, but rather the SAS step.

SAS step is very fast and great for open areas.

Harry can explain this a lot better than I can; he's a teacher.

Dude, another stance/step. Just when I thought I had a handle on all of this. Thumper- you got it. That was one of the scenes indeed. The SAS step huh? Gotta look that one up...

Mr. Humphries, I noticed you're listed as one of the moderators. Would you care to comment on the Groucho/SAS step please? Thanks in advance...

Matt

To your BlackHawk Down

Just to let you know that it is a proven fact that you cannot shoot and move let alone talk. at the same time. Shooting scores are more accurate when you are standing/stationary, even for a brief second. Sure anyone can walk and shoot but the score suffer. Also its a CQB norm that when your long gun goes down for what ever reason you transition over to your handgun. The reason for this is to get more ammo down range while trying to obtain cover. Once you have cover then you can reload or unjam your rifle. BlackHawk down demonstarted alot of things that actually go on in the real world. People leaving gear behind cause its too heavy, not taking the best equipment, not prepairing for the worst case etc.... I see it everyday. We submit to the peer pressures of life. SHAME ON US!!!!!

dzon143...

"Just to let us know?" Not sure how to respond to that. I realize you're new here, but do you have any idea of the background of some of the people you're addressing?
Just to let you know that it is a proven fact that you cannot shoot and move let alone talk. at the same time.
Proven fact? Nothing could be further from the truth. I don't know what you're trying to say. Perhaps that it's easier to shoot from a static position? I don't think anyone would argue that, but to contend that in a CQB environment one should STAND STILL indicates your level of inexperience.

EVERY tactical operator in the world is taught to shoot while moving, for obvious reasons. They are also expected to get good hits while moving.

Sorry if my responce seems a little vehement, but this is a tactical forum. You coming here and posting from a position of ignorance is not just irresponsible, it's dangerous.

Back