Tactical Flashlight

1hogfan83

Best light for the money. I would like to keep it under $50 and rather compact, I have a surefire V2 or V3 but it died on me. I though, oh me, it needs new batteries. Put some new ones in, nope. So I'm in the market for a new one. Again I would like a compact light, preferably with varible options, and a holster. Thanks for any help.

It's over your price range, but a friend just showed me his new Olight brand tac flashlight. It comes with two batteries, that can be charged, a holder and can be attached to a gun. Google Olight, it looks nice. The brightness is unbelievable.

Good websites....

For white lights or compact flashlights, I'd check here:
www.policehq.com www.galls.com www.qmuniforms.com www.uscav.com www.natchezss.com www.actiongear.com .

Most LE & tactics instructors suggest buying a white light with at least 65lum.
I'd get a newer style with a strobe feature. Surefire, 5.11 ATAC, Streamlight, and Blackhawk are very popular. 5.11 makes a new ATAK line that's rechargeable & uses the powerful Li batteries. It has strobe, red & blue lights to for low light viewing.
I'd also suggest a tailcap button or switch. This design is better for use with firearms.
Clyde

ive got a novotac i really like, multiple settings to use more or less power plus a strobe, its a little smaller than most of your standard lights

Personally I like the 4seven line.
And I think they have some models around that price point. I carry the Quark123 tactical, and with only the one battery it's small enough to carry in a pocket easily. I have a few streamlights also, but I find the 2 battery lights always wind up shifting to an uncomfortable position in my pocket.
4seven also makes a couple lights that run on AA batteries which is convenient and makes it east to run rechargeable batteries.

FourSevens and Fenix make very good lights that are less expensive than other brands. I have three AA lights that I use Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable in them, they work great. I prefer the length of a AA body too, because I use the Harries Technique.

IMAG0012.jpg

I just received the new Streamlight ProTac HL 600 Lumen Tactical Flashlight yesterday, and to say I'm impressed would be an understatement. 5.25" and 600 lumens!! I would challenge anyone to find a better light in this price range. OP, I'd suggest you stretch your budget a few bucks and buy this. You won't be disappointed. The strobe function could produce seizures to the wrong person. $69.99

streamlightflashlight.gif

Fenix: 740 lumens in burst mode. 400 lumens in steady, hghest intensity mode, as I understand. And it's $75. I'll stick with the Streamlight for the extra 200 lumens in steady-on mode, for less $. ;)

4Sevens Quark Tactical is what I would buy today.

I EDC a Nitecore EX10. Good light but the UI is a bit complex at times for tactical use.

I just got an EagleTac D25LC2. Right at $50 and can crank out over 700 lumens with the right batteries. Crazy output for the size and the price.

"I just got an EagleTac D25LC2. Right at $50 and can crank out over 700 lumens with the right batteries. Crazy output for the size and the price. "

And what batteries would those be?

This light is rated at 493 lumens. If the light has a way to squeeze 700L, why isn't the manufacturer doing so? :confused:

"And what batteries would those be?

This light is rated at 493 lumens. If the light has a way to squeeze 700L, why isn't the manufacturer doing so?"

I'm too lazy to find the website where the testing was done, but the light is not rated at 493 lumens. Candlepowerforums maybe? There's a guy that does some ridiculously in-depth tests of a ton of flashlights. I wasn't trying to offend your Streamlight (which obviously sucks:D)

5upz5x.jpg

No, the light is rated at 493 lumens.

From their own website:

Specifications:
CREE XP-G S2 LED (Cool White)
Max Output: 493 LED lumen, 343 ANSI OTF lumen

Is the picture of the box not displaying? Your specs are for a different LED. Mine has the Cree XM-L U2. 741, 549 OTF. Maybe I'm the only one that can see the picture.

Last edited:
Those higher lumen lights look neat, brighter is good. I would definitely use the 18650 rechargeable batteries though. I use my lights almost everyday and buying cases of CR123 batteries all the time gets expensive. Lithium CR123 batteries in a weapon mounted light that isn't used much is okay though.

Size, price, features....

When selecting a white light or tactical flashlight, you must consider a few other features too;
Will you use it often or for extended periods? Then a rechargeable format may do best. Do you plan to deploy it with a sidearm or handle weapons with it? Then designs with tailcap lights or models that work with different methods like the Rodgers or FBI or Massad Ayoob may be needed. Do you want strobes, beacons or red/blue lights for traffic enforcement or tactical use?
Some models have anti-roll designs if you drop it & a few have edges to use as a defense weapon in a CQB event.

New LED & CREE styles are now brighter & brighter. Pick wisely and learn the best methods to deploy a white light when needed.

Clyde

for indoors, I have never...ever wanted a flashlight more than 100LUM. I really prefer something around 86LUM for indoor use. I cant imagine waking up to a noise in my dark house and turning on a 300-400-495LUM flashlight!?? I would reserver that kind of light for outdoor only.

If it were me, I would get a <100 LUM fenix and call it a day.

My fav Fenix is the TA20 that has (3) settings but its double your limit.

Back