Tactical dress shoes???????

Futo Inu

Well I don't know about "tactical", or even what that word means, but it occurs to me that my everyday work dress shoes, with their slick soles, would put me at a significant disadvantage against an aggessor when scuffling for control of a gun, scuffling/fighting in general, or more importantly and more likely, getting traction to run the hell away from trouble, esp. in wet, snowy conditions, or on an indoor slick surface. So........anyone know of the existence of a maker of nice, leather dress shoes with good, TREADED SOLES??

I have already determined that my everyday neckties put me at a disadvantage if the SHTF, so I wear them quite loose, even in court. But seems to me that good tread on shoes is even more important, because escaping trouble by running fast away from an aggressor seems much more likely and legally advisable if possible, thant fighting back or drawing down in most situations (assuming one is able-bodied and one can thus evade the aggressor by running).

(damn; just realized this may be better in "gear" section; moderator, you can move or leave; whatever you think best; sorry)

Last edited:
Most of my ropers come equipped with a leather sole. Not real great on ice or wet barroom floors, so the first place they go after I buy them is a cobblers (shoe repair) to have them resoled with a pair of Catspaw soles.

I don't see why you shouldn't be able to do the same with your favorite pair of dress shoes.

LawDog

what i think is odd is the bicycle police officers wearing cleated mountainbike shoes...

these guys don't need to win the tour de france
but they will need to drop the bike & boogie

someone sold them a tactical bill of goods

I used to street thrash a mountain bike in combat boots
and Grove Bear trap pedals
They never slowed me down

In the office tactical footwear department
its Air Walk Doc Martens fer me

Dexter Shoes has marketed shoes that would meet your requirements. UNFORTUNATELY, they may be difficult to find since Dexter has shut down their factory in Dexter, Maine. Presumably there will be some interruption of production as Dexter moves their facilities "off-shore" - or maybe to Afganistan (why not, Florshiem Shoes moved to Pakistan!). Hey, maybe the Afgans will make "anti-personnel" Dexters, if you know what I mean.

However, if you are lucky, you may find a Dexter shoe in your size at a closeout sale. My local shoe store is giving a 60% discount.
Your shoe store may be able to order Dexters from their wholesale distributor ... but you better hurry!

Two weeks ago I ordered 5 pair of my favorite Dexter shoes. Needed 9.5WW for my "duck feet". Just took delivery of my order and paid the discounted sale price. What a bargain!

About that neck-tie and the SHTF scenerio. I wear a tie every day. Never considered it a problem in a possible SHTF situation. But, thinking about it, maybe you can improvise a "head band" from your tie, learn a few moves from your marshall-arts manual and scare the hell out of the BGs.

Best of Luck!

These days its not hard to find mens dress shoes with rubber soles. Most brands offers at least one model. Hit the mall. Happy shopping.

Bates makes their ENFORCER in a dress shoe model. Won't go with t Tux but OK with a formal uniform.

Second the vote for Rockports. Every day in the office. Wingtips are available as well, if you must.

Boots in the field.

RBH

Your cobbler should have thin high traction overlays that he can put on over your soles. New shoes easier to work with. Work great and last.

Sam

MTB shoes

what i think is odd is the bicycle police officers wearing cleated mountainbike shoes...

I deliver by bicycle and I find these shoes very comfortable and very useful. Sure, you don't need them - but I guarantee that if I were timed with them and without them I would go faster with. They allow you to apply power throughout the entire pedal stroke. That way no energy is lost on the upstroke. Toeclips may be argued as a better choice - but baskets are harder to get into properly and quickly. I feel that they make a good choice with the cleats - especially in a shoe like the Cannondale or the Nike which passes as a stiff soled street shoe in appearance. I can and have run in my cleats a few times (not because I wanted to) but I have done it before - no problems. Just the click click click of the cleats hitting concrete.

Check out Red Wings. They have dress shoes that are made for real comfort and durable wear.

I have never understood why people wear those slick soled shoes. I had to wear them in school (dress code) and I nearly broke my neck a few times in slick surfaces. And forget trying to fight in them. I refuse to wear them.

Just be sure to "scuff 'em up a bit..."

Good Evening-

C.R. Sam is right on the money. My dress shoes go straight from the shoestore to the cobbler for the rubber overlays. It costs about $20.00, but they last a LONG time. You can replace them many, many times....which essentially lengthens the lifespan of the shoe while amortizing the cost a bit.

Make sure to scratch the soles on some sandpaper (or the parking lot) before you have the rubber overlays cemented to them. While you're at it, have the cobbler hammer-in some heel taps and your office shoes are now "tacticalized." ;)

God forbid I ever got into a scuffle over one of my sidearms, at least I would feel somewhat "on par" with a sneaker-clad goblin.

Regards,

~ Blue Jays ~

I used to wear the Rockport Dressports when I had to...not a bad Vibram sole.

My semi-casual or bus-cas shoes now are all Docs...aka Dr. Martins, made in England. These are great shoes...last longer than any I've ever used.

My "shooting boots" are the 8" Doc Martin black "kicker" boots....funny how i started wearing them in my youth as a fashionable punk, and now still relish them as a great pair of boots. Been through 4 pairs in 15 years.

For casual-day type wear, I use Danner Edgewood GTX oxfords. Good tread, Danner quality and Gore-Tex waterproofness to boot. They come in black and brown.

Justin

Dr Martens are great boots. They have expanded their product line to include many types of boots that could pass for business casual. They last FOREVER. And their police boot takes a spitshine oh so nicely...

Mike

I've got the same pair of ROCKPORTS as Gorthaur and also a pair of ROCKPORTS wing tips. They are both very comfortable and non-slip.

Allen Edmunds makes a high top black boot with lug sole that would certainly fill the bill. Some of the President's protection agents wear them. They are not the best for running if that is an issue. They cost close to $400 but Allen Edmunds are considered by many to be the best shoes made and they WILL last a lifetime with routine maintenance.

lgh

Back