Tactical Assault Flop Flops, or the impact of footware on proper concealed carry

From experience, hot brass zeroes in between the straps. No big deal, but do maintain muzzle control while hopping.

Not a huge fan of flip-flops due to arch support and back pain issues. Plus, I hate the flloppiness. I wear some Oakley beach sandals that rise around the ankle, when in open shoe mode, since they don't flop so much.

But I don't really worry about it, with regard to every day tactical planning, even if I don't recommend them as range wear.

Love my Slippahs, but I can actually do most things better bare foot so they would come off about the time as I warn BG to rethink his options! Ever seen a man kick-off his slippahs to whoopyoazz??? Winter it is Timberlands, actually laced and tied, or my coyote tan SWAT's but the zipper broke onn my last trip to the deerstand!

I dont move fridges I hire folks to do it
I'm not surprised

Back on topic

Boots just make you feel more confident. They provide protection for the feet, good traction and make kicking things or people much more effective.

Well, I bought my Magnum Technology shoes, made in USA, in a uniform shop. They give better support than regular low cuts, and they're rugged enough for tramping through rough stuff. And yet they look reasonably nice and aren't out of place with casual dress--they don't attract attention.

They're also compfy and they're insulated so they can be worn in winter, while not too hot in summer.

Glad someone started this thread, since mine are becoming worn, and the uniform shop where I bought them doesn't stock them anymore--I need to start looking around.

Those of us who carry guns for protection are aware (most of us) that we can't always precict the places or circumstances we might find ourselves in. :)

No, I don't worry about footwear. But you can count me among those who choose their footwear, to some extent, based on CCW and the circumstances that can arise as a result.:cool:

Is this a place to use that common phrase, :it's better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them?"

But the thread reminds me of some photos in the news a year or two ago (time flies) of some civil disturbance somewhere in South East Asia. Most of the people in the photo, including a lot of the uniformed soldiers were wearing flip-flops, so none of them considered it a handicap. However, there was a photo of an empty street after it had been cleared and there were a couple dozen flip-flops lying on the pavement.

Sandals are almost a world apart from flip-flops. I once experimented with wearing plain velcro'd sandals on a trail in the woods, the Appalachian Trail as a matter of fact. They worked pretty well and one seems to automatically compensate for the differences when walking. The idea was for something to wear when it was wet, though I repeated the experience.

By the way, on the subject of walking in the woods, if you do a lot of long distance walking and it rains, you get wet eventually, although I've had pretty good success with an ordinary poncho. Eventually, everything gets soaked if it isn't wrapped in something waterproof. Something to think about if you carry a handgun but it really only becomes a problem after an extended period. Besides, if you don't wash so often, you become fairly waterproof anyway, only that doesn't apply to blue steel.

As far as running in sandals goes, well, I'm pretty much beyond the age of doing much running even though ten miles on a mountain trail still amounts to an easy morning's tramp.

Seriously guys, dont you all think this is going a bit to far?...I mean I can understand wearing Glocks on a rope in the shower, open carrying for pizza delivery guys and duct taping your CCW to your butt when SWMBO deigns to let you perform your husbandly duties, but choosing footwear for tactical reasons? Whats next, Kelvar underwear

Could not agree more Wild, A kevlar Athletic supporter for those times when you're caught napping and an assailant kicks or shoots you in the family jewels and don't forget your socks. Wouldn't want to get blisters on the old footsies:eek:

If running for your life I think that addrenaline would kick in. Kids run barefoot all the time so if needed kick off the damn flipflops and run bare footed. I wear flip flops to the range all of the time, and haven't notice brass hitting my foot.

the point I am trying to make is that to some degree clothing must be tied to the objective of properly carrying and possibly utilizing a concealed weapon. I think we can all agree to this...

Well there always has to be "one"; so today I will be the “one” I reverse this; the weapon I carry must properly fit into my agenda and clothing choices for that day.

As for the importance of proper fitting shoes, please remember that shoes are the only item of clothing that can hurt you if not properly fitted.

I gotta admit the tacticool undies I now have on make me feel invincible to a degree. Hope I dont get a wedgie, the kevlar might hurt the boys.....

I'm in Az. & I don't live in town. There are rocks, rattlesnakes, scorpions & cactus. No clip clops here, boots @ the home place & running shoes when I go to town are best for me.

KLRANGL said:
Quote:
I prefer some support and protection on my feet.

Both given to you naturally btw... You only lose it because you never use it ;)

Lucky you. I have been flat-footed all my life and really appeciate some support in my footwear.

I can relate to what derekb said above. The most comfortable shoes I own are my steel toe work boots. To keep things gun related I'd have to say my feet are most protected from dropped guns when I wear my steel toes. :)

Last edited:
Flip flops make one generally useless for a lot of physical activities, to include self-protection. Kicking them off is not much better, as most folks are not accustomed to bare foot movement.

I only wear them around the house.

As far as a focus on concealed carry, flip flops would inhibit quick movement that one would likely want to make if bad things happened. They also lack if one has toddlers to keep up with, as toddlers don't have any sense and yet are pretty mobile. You're gonna end up chasing them pretty regularly.

As with anything in life, foot gear is a compromise. For my own part, if I am going to the trouble of packing heat, I'll choose some sensible foot gear, as even costly foot gear costs a fraction of a carry rig (belt, holder, mag carrier, weapon).

I have found that the Chaco brand sandals are of high quality and allow for the open-air feel one desires in flip flops or other sandal-like gear. They are up to most outdoor chores and physical activity where foot protection is not desired/required.

It just occurred to me that most competitors in IPSC style shooting matches wear something approaching running gear, apparently always with sneaker type shoes and sometimes shorts. I imagine it is an action sport.

Sandals are very dangerous on the range, not because people can trip (though that's a non-trivial concern) but also because brass is magnetically attracted to cleavage. If it can't find cleavage in a low cut shirt or down the back of someone's plumber crack, it aims for the cleavage between bare toes. Hot brass + sensitive skin + person with gun in hand = danger.

As for the tactical concerns, the original post made me think of this: http://www.seraphicpress.com/archives/2007/06/stalked.php

Sounds to me as if the 5 finger shoes are the best option for you to take to shooting classes, KLRANGL, given your normal choice of footwear.

pax

Sounds to me as if the 5 finger shoes are the best option for you to take to shooting classes, KLRANGL, given your normal choice of footwear.

Toes.:D

WildimgettingapairandboywillilookstupidinthemAlaska ™©2002-2010

As with anything in life, foot gear is a compromise. For my own part, if I am going to the trouble of packing heat, I'll choose some sensible foot gear, as even costly foot gear costs a fraction of a carry rig (belt, holder, mag carrier, weapon).

+1. Flip flops are comfortable, but if I end up in a defensive situation, I don't want to be tripping over them.

Back