Tacoma Washington Gun Drop Boxes

Even the gun "buybacks" have been flagrant failures, and at least in a buyback the person disposing of the gun gets something in return. In a drop box you get exactly nothing.

There is one circumstance in which the concept of a "drop box" does work. That is where there will be real screening of the persons afterward, so the "drop box" is a way to get rid of contraband before getting caught and facing the consequences. This is exactly what was done on my flight coming home from Vietnam back in 1971. We were on a chartered Flying Tigers flight, and while in the air the stewardess announced that she would be walking down the aisle with a cloth bag and that things could be dropped in with no questions asked. As she walked down you could hear things being dropped in which were heavy enough to make a real clunk so I assume it was a gun or hand grenade or something similar. Then when we reached our destination in the U.S., it was announced that when we left that room we would be going through U.S. Customs, so if anyone had anything they shouldn't have, they could use the trash cans where we were with no questions asked. I was amazed that quite a few returning soldiers went over and dropped something in the trash barrels before going through customs. Ironically, my personal inspection as I went through Customs was being asked the question: "Do you have anything with you that you shouldn't have?". When I answered "No", I was waved through. I will admit that at that moment it crossed my mind that I could have hidden my M79 grenade launcher in my suitcase after all.

Technosavant said:
Evan Thomas said:
As far as I know, no one has ever broken into them, and the incentive to do would be pretty high.
Well, they've tried. I saw somewhere (may have even been local) where a dude tried to fish some drugs out of one.

He didn't get very far with it, and was arrested on the spot.

So they can try, but usually the boxes are secure enough (and in such noticeable places) that it's a fool's game to try.
Exactly. The closest one to me is outside the entrance to one of the local police departments, with cops going in and out 24/7.

I wonder what would happen if I installed one of these in my front yard...
Are you gonna be playing here all week?

We need to start a 'wish I had thought of that one' thread.

Unless Washington State had put this proposal in their newest gun transfer
laws, I think it would be illegal.
I wonder if one is still allowed to surrender an unwanted firearm at
the local Police station without paperwork as well?

JT

Wouldn't a gun drop box be a good place to "dispose" of a gun that might incriminate someone if the prints are wiped off? I would think that the authorities would need to do a fingerprint and balistics test on any gun dropped in the box to rule out that it was involved in a crime.

We have a very successful gun buy back in our city every couple of years.
Very successful, city of over 200K and I think there were 34 guns turned in last time

Of the 34, how many could safely fire a round?

Nathan said:
Of the 34, how many could safely fire a round?
Betcha that all of the single-shot .22 rifles could, and some of them pretty accurately. ;)

It makes one wonder how a rifle with a 24"-26" barrel could fit into a mailbox. :confused:

Unless Washington State had put this proposal in their newest gun transfer
laws, I think it would be illegal.
Except... I'm not in Washington so their laws are entirely irrelevant.
If I can solve the "people just throw trash in it" problem the donation boxes I've been involved with have...

Back