Tacoma Washington Gun Drop Boxes

MarcDel

Inactive
A few years ago Tacoma Washington proposed placing Gun Drop Boxes (their term) around the town for the purpose of allowing people to surrender guns without personal contact. The boxes were the standard city U.S. mail boxes painted blue with a gun picture on the front. The idea was an anti-2nd Amendment proposal on the order of the gun back schemes so beloved by Liberals.

Question: perhaps some residents of Tacoma might know, was the Gun Drop Box scheme ever implemented? If so, what were the results?

My Google searches have failed to provide any information past the initial proposals.

A picture is attached.

Attachments

• gun_drop.jpg
    gun_drop.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 134
I have no idea if those were ever implemented, but even if I were anti-gun I would still think that they were a bad idea. All someone would need is a copy of the key and they get free guns. The government would just think that no one dropped a gun off and the person that left the gun would assume that it had been destroyed or went into police lockup.

So, who is really the idiot here? Is it the politician/government bureaucrat that came up with this foolish idea or the apathetic citizen that allows this stuff to go on? The problem with so many of these “feel good” anti-gun schemes is that they have no real impact on the bigger problem of too many bad guys walking around. There is absolutely no way a gang banger or some meth head is going to drop off a gun. Maybe just maybe Papa cleans out a closet and stuffs some old rusty .22 pistol in there, but seriously who is dumb enough to think this will have any real impact on crime.

As a practical matter, it could be done. My city has drug drop-off boxes which work the way these would be meant to, so people can dispose of drugs (legal or otherwise) anonymously, in the knowledge that they'll be properly disposed of. They're located outside public buildings, and they're very far from repurposed PO boxes -- quite massive and very secure. As far as I know, no one has ever broken into them, and the incentive to do would be pretty high.

Never implemented. The idea was introduced with a big hullabaloo, but people more inclined to think things through convinced people it was a bad idea.

The idea of a gun drop box begs the question: Who is going to have a key to come around to check/empty it? Certainly not a postman (even though it is a likely to be a retired post box). I would logically be the duty of a police officer...someone who now has an excellent source for an untraceable gun(s), to be kept as a possible "throw down", gun. I think such a temptation would be very great in that situation.

I think with WA UBC, transfer of a weapon to an unknown person would be a huge no-no. I mean really, that's worse than a face-to-face transfer.

Would certainly be easier to go to one of the drop boxes to get a free gun than to break into a gun store...

Would certainly be easier to go to one of the drop boxes to get a free gun than to break into a gun store...
Or steal from a legal gun owner.

Yeah, only the wacked out potheads in Seattle/Tacoma could think this one up.

I like the free gun idea, but since gun buy backs rarely have guns of any value, i expect the boxes aren't worth robbing either.

....oh well another liberal failure....

Great place to drop a wiped gun after a homicide though...always hard to drop those!

Nathan said:
...since gun buy backs rarely have guns of any value, i expect the boxes aren't worth robbing either.
I disagree; keep in mind that a gun doesn't have to actually function in order to be useful in a robbery.

My area has seen a large number of ATM thefts where crooks with a large truck steal the entire machine; they have even used forklifts. A mailbox would be nothing to these guys. This is a stupid, stupid idea. :eek::rolleyes:

The idea was an anti-2nd Amendment proposal…
Nonsense.

However ridiculous or ill-conceived, gun drop boxes are not ‘anti-Second Amendment,’ as no rights are violated or otherwise unlawfully infringed.

….schemes so beloved by Liberals.

This fails as both a strawman fallacy and hasty generalization fallacy.

We have a very successful gun buy back in our city every couple of years.
Very successful, city of over 200K and I think there were 34 guns turned in last time:D

Evan Thomas said:
As far as I know, no one has ever broken into them, and the incentive to do would be pretty high.

Well, they've tried. I saw somewhere (may have even been local) where a dude tried to fish some drugs out of one.

He didn't get very far with it, and was arrested on the spot.

So they can try, but usually the boxes are secure enough (and in such noticeable places) that it's a fool's game to try.

This is just Anti advertising, that's all. I doubt that hardly any guns get dumped into that mail-box thing.

Back