Table-top band saw or scroll saw?

Those grips are beautiful. I'm impressed with the tooling... I recognized the Ruger Mark style.

In 1978 I purchased a Ruger Mark heavy barrel. I had a hard time getting my paws to relax holding the pistol. I made a set of grips to help me shoot better. At the time I didn't have much in tools. I took a 2x4 that's correct. Pine board and cut out the outline with hand tools shaped it using clay for shape. I rasped and sanded... to shape the wood. no checkering or stain. What a fit. It fit my hand like a glove. Then I bought trigger stones from Brownell and went to work on the sear. Then for training I went hunting red squirrels. That pistol Shure could shoot.
Take your time with those grips. You will be glad you did.

In addition to a band saw, the one power tool I would think would be extremely valuable for producing grips would be an oscillating spindle sander. I've never tried to make grips (but I am a wannabe woodworker).

I never made any grip panels...till I did. If you like working with wood, it is lots of fun and you will get a lot of personal satisfaction out of it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• EntranceBox 005.jpg
    EntranceBox 005.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 117
Get started making grips and you will find yourself learning little things that make the finished product better and better. Just stick with it. I got to making grips for all my handguns. Some I kept, some didn't turn out so good. Just keep at it and I think you will surprise yourself.

Back