T/c contender barrel part.

candlejackstraw

Forgiving me if this is in the wrong section, but I just picked up a t/c contender with a 357 and a 30-30 barrel. The 3030 barrel is missing the part that fits into the dovetail that accepts the grip screw. What would that part be called? Where can I find one?
24b25b1754337afbd6fc4d55161ed82f.jpg

Try Bellm TC's, they may have what you need. And don't need!;)
You are looking for fore end dovetail locks.

EABCO can also help you. They are easier to get on the phone than BellmTCs in my experience.
the specialty pistols forum has lots of people very knowledgeable about the TC switch barrels. Also one called TC classifieds.

I have both the G1 and the G2. I have a 30-30 , 7-30 waters, and a 44mag barrels at the moment. the dovetail locks will interchange but idk about the older ones that have the bar that the forend fits on. I do not trust them.

Hope this helps :)

One size does not fit all

ok it seems to be called a dovetail lock. Are the g1 and g2 pieces the same?
You have to be careful as I found out the hard way, that there are at least two sizes. I had to go back to a dealer and get the proper size. Don't know what length barrel you have but if you have two of these on a barrel, you will have to match up to the one you have. The barrel I was dealing with was a Super-14, Contender and as I recall, the first one I got, was too small. . ...... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

Well, I think you are right. Someone re-chambered it for something. A gunsmith should be able to take a cast of it and figure out what it is...

.30-03? I know that seems simple, but reading the obscure .30-03 as the more common .30-30 is more or less what your brain is designed to do.
Shouldn't a 30-30 AI shoot normal 3030 Win without issues? I thought that was a big part of the AI cartridges appeal.

I've bought a number of used Encore barrels and I always wonder if someone has re-chambered them. I can't imagine re-chambering a barrel without marking it somehow.

.30-03? I know that seems simple, but reading the obscure .30-03 as the more common .30-30 is more or less what your brain is designed to do.
Shouldn't a 30-30 AI shoot normal 3030 Win without issues? I thought that was a big part of the AI cartridges appeal.

I've bought a number of used Encore barrels and I always wonder if someone has re-chambered them. I can't imagine re-chambering a barrel without marking it somehow.
I'm not sure what you mean by AI

AI = Ackley improved.

Not the best source but from Wikipedia.

The Ackley Improved family of wildcat cartridges are designed to be easily made by rechambering existing firearms, and fireforming the ammunition to decrease body taper and increase shoulder angle, resulting in a higher case capacity. Ackley improved not only standard cartridges, but also other popular wildcats, and was the first to create a .17 caliber (4.5 mm) centerfire cartridge.[2]

Typically you fire form brass (30-30 to 30 AI) with a reduced load. Then re-load to Ackley Improved levels. I never heard you could fire full house 30-30 loads in an AI chamber. The picture I posted above shows a 30-30 on the left the AI on the right. Note the straight side and sharp shoulder.

Someone re chambered that puppy.

Last edited:
I usually use factory 30-30 loads to fire form to 30-30AI. Never a problem. Shoots as accurately as normal 30-30. If that was a 30-30AI it shouldn't split the sides so bad. Maybe 309 JDJ or similar?

Back