switching calibers

Thanks a lot guys. I am really surprised to see the number of members willing to respond to a thread with a new user. Too often on other forums this can be an issue.

Still narrowed to the 270 270wsm or the 06 the 270 and the 06 seem to make more sense however the 270 wsm is very appealing. Lending several hundred feet per second to the 270 and firing a. 277 150 grain bullet at speeds similar to the 06 but with a higher BC. Seems the wsm would lend a lite extra at long range. But then again most of my shots will be inside maximum point blank range. But seems the wsm would dispatch game with similar authority as the 300 win mag or the 7mm rem mag.

So I guess the question is 270 or 270wsm and why?

So I guess the question is 270 or 270wsm and why?

Because in 10 years, .270WSM brass will be made of 100% Unobtainium, same as the .225 WIN is today.

It's already hard to find on a shelf, and spendier than the .270 WIN when you do find it.

Because in 10 years, .270WSM brass will be made of 100% Unobtainium, same as the .225 WIN is today.

It's already hard to find on a shelf, and spendier than the .270 WIN when you do find it.

I don't know about that. The 270 and 300 WSMs are both quite popular. I think the 270, 7mm and 300 WSMs are all here to stay.

Yes, but the .270 Win has plenty of punch for deer. The only downside that I can see to the .270 win over the .270 WSM is action length. Sure, the WSM has efficiency, etc. going for it, but is it really worth the cost increase over the .270 Win? If you're buying a new rifle, the lifetime ownership costs will outweigh the rifle price. The .270 brass will be cheaper, with all other components costing the same. If you're not a reloader, the .270 WSM is really going to kill you. .308 would be a great cartridge as well. Short action, plentiful components and ammunition, relatively inexpensive, and probably the widest choice of rifles in the serious deer calibers all point to it being a good choice. How far do you plan on shooting this rifle? If you're at 300 yards and below, just about anything north of .22 caliber will serve you well. I'd focus on ammo cost. It's not going to get cheaper over time.

If you handload it then try the 25-06, ( sometimes it's a pain to find commercial stuff) the recoil is gentle and its an accurate caliber, the .270 winchester is both, also it's usually easy to find anywhere across the country. I have a .270 win, that will be in my hands opening day, because my confidence level is "over the top" with this rifle. just my buck-fitty.:)

I guess from a logical standpoint the 270 Win makes more sense. But, when were we ever logical. If you like the WSM you can make it work for you just fine. If you plan on shooting enough that finding enough ammo is a big deal you need to be reloading anyway.

In 10-15 years the 270 and 300 WSM will be the top magnum sellers and move the 300 WM and 7mm Rem mag to 2nd place. The trend is already happening. The other WSM's are history.

But in this case I wouldn't suggest either. The truth is that almost any chambering will work just fine. Nothing at all wrong with 260, 7-08, 243, 308, 270, 280, 25-06, 30-06 or any of about a dozen more chamberings. I'd go gun shopping and select the gun that called my name in any of the above.

Another vote here for the 25-06. WBY Vanguard series 2 is available in that chambering for about 600 or less. WBY guarentees sub MOA in this series.

I used my .300 Win Mag succesfully for everything for the last 20 years but last summer bought a Remington 700 in .270 Win. Gotta have a little change of pace.

Id go with the tried and true 30-30. Low recoil still enough for deer and available ammo all over the place. My other picks would be 30-06 and 308.

Thanks for the insight all. I have settled on the caliber and rifle as a matter of fact. The 270 just makes sense for deer and black bear. Nearly as flat shooting as my 300 was and kinder to my shoulder.

Also the rifle of choice kinda took me by surprise. I checked out one of the fn herstal made Winchester model 70 and it just screamed buy me. As for me the fit to me and the finish is superb. It looks great has a good trigger the action is very smooth and just plain feels good to me. Any one know anything about these rifles made by fn with the pre-64 style actions?

In 10-15 years the 270 and 300 WSM will be the top magnum sellers and move the 300 WM and 7mm Rem mag to 2nd place. The trend is already happening. The other WSM's are history.

I disagree. The cost of the factory ammo (WSM) is sky high compared to what you can buy the .300 Win Mag and .270 Win ammo for. Unless you handload it's something to think about. I passed on a .270 WSM because of what the factory ammo cost.

Last edited:
Sure, the WSM has efficiency, etc. going for it, but is it really worth the cost increase over the .270 Win? If you're buying a new rifle, the lifetime ownership costs will outweigh the rifle price. The .270 brass will be cheaper, with all other components costing the same.

+1

If things continued as they are (unpossible: what can not continue, will most certainly not!) I could see this.... I do not think things will continue as they are, and I think the economic future of the country is very unstable. Tried and true might survive, but oddball stuff is going away, IMHO. Companies that are going to survive are going to cut back severely, and cheaper stuff that works well will stay.

Back