Swiss K31s

Willie D...

The Swiss Products d&t mount was inexpensive (well, at $50 for a strip of machined aluminum goes, I guess it was expensive), but I used B-Square's ring adapters so I could use my standard 30mm Warne Rings for the Bushnell scope.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=18690/Product/3-8-DOVETAIL-TO-WEAVER-ADAPTER

They've worked very well. No slip...

Why in the world don't they mill this with a Picatinny rail instead of this 3/8" dovetail crap? I never heard of a 3/8" dovetail mount until this...

"...Willie D. statements are all true..."

No, they are not.
Recoil is certainly not harsh. I have shot most of the great military bolt actions. The K31 is not bad at all for me, either from the bench or standing. I would consider it similar to a Mauser 98k or Springfield. Not as rough as a Mosin 44.
The bolt throw is very smooth and fast...can't see how it could be called "loooong".
Weight of the K31 is given at 4kgs, which is 8.8lbs...right in the ballpark of most of its contemporaries.
In my opinion, the design, and materials used to manufacture the K31 make it superior to most any common bolt action.

Last edited:
I believe Lonnie is correct that Hammerli is the current producer.
I also think Husqvarna produced, or at least marketed a lot of rifles under their brand.

So does anyone have a currently made 31 from Hammerli? Or any pics of a 31 from Husqvarna. I'd like to hear/see more.Best

I just scanned the Hammerli web site some. As I don't read/speak Swiss/German, I looked and saw no indication of 31s. It seems Hammerli was bought out a while back by a conglomerate which apparently owns Walter, Husqvarna and others. Until I can find other info, I believe that the last new production 31s were made over two decades ago.

Last edited:
I seem to think that a corporate forerunner of Sig would have been involved in their production. But it has been a while since I have visited the Swiss Rifle forum. But not Huskvarna.

Sig and Hammerli were seperate manufacturers that supplied barrels and actions I believe, but not completed rifles for W-FBern, the Swiss government weapons factory. Both were very much involved in the 31s and earlier production of Swiss arms. There were many other contractors suppling other parts for the Swiss gov factory. W-FBern is no more. Hammerli used to advertise K-31 rifles in a number of calibers for sale in gun magazines. I haven't seen their ads for along time. I've never seen Sig offer 31s for sale. Maybe they did and I never saw them.Best

Last edited:
When i said I was certain Husqvarna sold rifles I meant any rifle, not just 31s, although I am less sure I have seen mention of husqvarna produced K31s.

Have you seen an IBM Garand? Weird production things happened in WWII

Last edited:
I've always liked the barreled action of the K-31. But, I don't like the stock. Does anyone make a nice quality aftermarket stock for the K-31? Before you purists get upset, it's not like I'd throw away the original stock.

I immediately put a slip-on recoil pad on mine (also helps increase the LOP). That rifle also has an outstanding trigger on it.

Always wanted a K31 and just picked up a beautiful one the other day that my LGS had on consignment. Tag said $500...then I saw it came with 800 rounds of ammo. Saw ammo...400+ of GP11 and 20 20 round boxes of Prvi...did some ammo price checking on my phone. Figured that was an overall deal. Done! That puppy will shoot too.

OK, this is what the Swiss say from Swissrifles. All of the arsenal K31's are gone, the one's we see are from gunsmith's in Switzerland buying privately held K31's, waiting until they had some quantity, and selling them. That worked for awhile. Now, K31's are beginning to be difficult to find in Switzerland.
- In other words, buy now or cry later, they're gone.

Considering ratty Mosins are going for $300 these days (hey, I'm a Mosin fan, just sayin' they're overpriced for what they are), the K-31 is an incredible value.
Gonna try to buy a few more...

I immediately put a slip-on recoil pad on mine (also helps increase the LOP). That rifle also has an outstanding trigger on it.

Yes, the trigger amazing. :cool:

The K31 is a true quality piece with basically .308 ballistics. Lots of fun and very effective. Perfect for people who like something different.

5 years ago I came across a k31 on the consignment rack. Unchewed walnut stock with forend tiger-striping, 98% finish, original sling, an extra magazine, and all for $250. I bought it immediately. No haggling, no hemming and hawing, I don't think there was more than 30 seconds between me laying eyes on the rifle and me pulling out my wallet. It was a great deal even back then and it's still the best gun purchase I ever made. And of all the firearms I own it's the only one that comes close to being irreplaceable. I'm sure there are thousands of fine grade k31s but there are very few in the market.

The engineering and craftsmanship are umparalleled in the realm of surplus rifles except for perhaps Swedish Mausers. The trigger is exceptional, the action is smooth, and the reputation for accuracy is well deserved.

GP11 is probably the best surplus ammunition ever produced. Cartridge consistency is nearly on par with modern match grade ammunition. And it can still be bought in bulk for around $0.60 per round.

To answer Johnwilliamson's question, no I have not seen an IBM Garand and never expect to as there were none. IBM made M1 Carbines, not M1 Rifles. The makers of the M1 rifle in WWII were Springfield Armory (the government factory in Springfield, MA), and Winchester. In the Korean war era, Springfield again made them, plus H&R and International Harvester.

(Now I have done it!!! I called that rifle the M1, for which Amsdorf will jump in with his crushing sarcasm and air of superiority and inform me that no one ever called it by that evil name, only by the name of the inventor. Forgive me, Oh Great Military Expert, sir.)

Jim

Back