Swiss K31 vs. 1911

TRguy, I assume that when you're developing a seat depth you're indexing on the ogive, Right? COL doesn't mean much if you're doing it that way and not indexing on the projectile tip as long as it fits in the magazine. COL will matter if your k31 is chambered in 30-06. It then becomes a single shot rifle.
Swiss rifles all seem to prefer being right at the lands, 1911, k11, k31 or zfk55. Do a test with a GP11 cartridge and a 175gr Berger VLD to prove your seat depth.

In order to fully understand the differences, you must understand both the history of the Schmidt-Rubin series of rifles and the way in which they work. The bolt face on a K31, K11, G11, or any Schmidt-Rubin does not rotate. Instead, there is an outer bolt sleeve upon which the locking lugs are mounted which rotates. The original G1889 rifle had the locking lugs positioned at the rear of the bolt and is the weakest of the Schmidt-Rubin series. Over time, the rifle was redesigned a number of times in an attempt to both shorten the action and move the locking lugs foreward in order to increase strength. The G11/K11 had its locking lugs located at the midpoint of the bolt and was the first rifle deemed strong enough for the GP11 cartridge. To my knowledge, no loaded ammunition is available for older rifles and thusly shooting them is strictly a handloading proposition. The K31 was developed out of a desire to standardize on one weapon rather than having both a long rifle and a carbine. By relocating the locking lugs to the front of the action, it was possible for the K31 to have roughly the same length barrel as the G11 while maintaining the same overall length as the K11. Also, the K31 is considered to be the strongest of the Schmidt-Rubin series due to its frontal locking lugs.

As a shooter, I would consider the K31 to be the best of the series as it will give roughly the same velocities as the G11 in a shorter, handier, stronger package. The older G11/K11, however, are still good shooters, can handle any commercially produced 7.5x55 ammo as well as surplus GP11, and are excellent rifles in their own right. As a collectible, the older G11/K11 is probably a better investment due to their scarcity as compared to the K31.

"By relocating the locking lugs to the front of the action, it was possible for the K31 to have roughly the same length barrel as the G11 while maintaining the same overall length as the K11."

No, not quite Wmkv. If you had said a barrel length similar to the k11 you'd have been close.
Nominal barrel length on a G11, or 1911sr is 29.5". Barrel length on a k31 is a nominal 24", or 5.5" difference. otherwise you're pretty close.

"By relocating the locking lugs to the front of the action, it was possible for the K31 to have roughly the same length barrel as the G11 while maintaining the same overall length as the K11."

No, not quite Wmkv. If you had said a barrel length similar to the k11 you'd have been close.
Nominal barrel length on a G11, or 1911sr is 29.5". Barrel length on a k31 is a nominal 24", or 5.5" difference. otherwise you're pretty close.

While you are correct that the K31's barrel is significantly shorter than the G11, the lengths you cite do not match up with those listed on swissrifles.com. They list the G11 as a 30.7" barrel, the K11 as a 23.3", and the K31 as a 25.65" barrel. They also list the overall length of the K11 and K31 as the same at 43.6".

http://www.swissrifles.com

Sorry, Web. We have a habit of measuring from the lands forward for our own reasons, and that's not usual I know.
If you do happen to measure that way you'll find I'm dead on.
We do a specialized barrel treatment and always take that as our barrel length.
Oh well.........

Latigo

Back