Swiss K31 vs. 1911

@Rampant - the Swiss 1911 is a rifle. Thanks for stating the obvious re Google. I'm looking for someone with some experience because I'm considering buying one.

I had read that link in my searches... I own the K31... but I'm curious about the 1911s. I did some research and the K31 seems to have many improvements. The 1911 has the advantage of being much more rare and an earlier design...

The Swiss 1911 is reputed to have less strength than the K 31. Either will manage Swiss service ammo, but for the 1911, its the top end of its safety level.

There are minor differences and I don't have the right book handy to detail them, sorry. I have some shooting experience with the K 31, and swiss ammo, which is match grade perfromance, although that stuff is scarce today. Very accurate. Relatively mild recoil for the class of cartridge, as the rifle is not light. Felt a bit odd to work the straight pull, and it ejects out the "wrong" side!

Trigger pull was good for a military rifle of the period, and the stock fir me well enough, although I found the wrist too thick for real comfort.

Get both.

a6dfd34e.jpg

Both are accurate.

...:D...

The K.31 has a stronger and more compact action, with the locking lugs at the front of the bolt rather than at mid-point, and is a handier rifle than the longer Model 1911. AFAIK, the Swiss ammo on the market is the 1911 type, so it is OK in both rifles (but not in the Model 1889).

Either rifle is OK, but I consider the Model 1911 to be more in the collector category.

Jim

They made about 187k 1911 carbines and about 580k K-31's, that alone makes the 1911 carbine more collectible.

The K-31 has an improved, simplified action over the 1911 carbine, both shoot pretty good. K-31 for the shooter and 1911 carbine for the collector. Both comes to mind.

Are you referring to the G11 ( the long rifle ), or the K11 ( the carbine version) ?
If you are referring to the G , the K31 was built to try to be as accurate as a G11. It comes close. The K11 has shorter range sights for a reason.

The 1911sr is acknowledged as being the more accurate of the two.
The 1911sr is also the rifle imported by Golden State Arms, sporterized and converted to .308 ihn the 60s and 70s. It easily handles .308 chamber pressures and makes an excellent short hunting rifle.

308d.jpg

308b.jpg

Just be aware if you reload the 7.5x55Swiss the chamber on the K11 is typically longer and therefore you have a longer COAL (Case Over All Length).

The K31 chamber has variances in length. I have one made in 1948 and one made in 1951. The difference in the length of the chamber between the two is .07 which makes the COAL on my loads different.

That being said I like both rifles. The Swiss have engineered an excellent rifle and used quality high nickel content steel. I love my K31s.

IMG_0073.jpg

;-)

Why not hand load? I have had dies and brass on hand for two years jst for the day i run really low on GP11.

69ac3ea0.jpg

75953293.jpg

Last edited:
Back