Swimming with weapon and combat load?

OK Josh, Pack all of your stuff in flotation bags first. Then get where you are happy swimming 8 to 20 miles at any time. Then hook your bags up, put a dry suit on and tow those bags! It's really pretty easy if you work at it. Today, who knows. You can and will drown following some of the above scenarios!
My D.A. old oppinion, Hank

Please excuse the ignorant questions, but I was never called by Nixon to finish our 'police action' in 'Nam. Therefore, ignorance regarding much of military life.

Please, what are BDU's, and LBE, specifically?

Thanks.

Thanks for all your input, guys. Since I don't have the waterproof ALICE pack liner, I guess I won't be goin swimmin'! Anyhow, if I did have to get wet around my place, it would be in the Bonpas (pronounced Bump ha)or Nigger creek(that is actually the correct name for it). The latter has some 5ft+water, but Bonpas has about 6in of water followed by about 7 feet of mud. Snappin' turtle heaven! By the way, has anyone had experience with the new MOLLE pack? Would love to have it, but it ain't worth $900. It comes in several configs. including grenadier, SAW man, rifleman, and pistol. The pack is the same on all, but the vest is different. When I first read about it I was ROTFLMAO. I could just imagine the SAW gunner. The poor dude has not only pouches for the SAW, but 30 rnd. mag pouches, utility pouches, and shotgun shell holders! The pistol config(yes pistol) has but ONE pistol mag holder and a utility pouch. I could see it now, the guy out in combat carrying a pistol only, giving fire support to the SAW man while he is on point and is advancing toward the enemy and supplying the other riflemen with 30 round mags, and 12 gauge shotgun shells to the guy with the shotgun(where did he come from?)! I am still ROTFLMAO!! No, I'm not stupid, I know this is the exact opposite of how it really is, but the way the packs are set up, it makes you wonder. Still ROTFLMAO!!! HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Jeff,
The only way to learn is to ask. BDU are battle dress uniforms. Basically, the camo pants with cargo pockets, and the shirt with four pockets(actually a light jacket in my book). They cost between 20-30 bucks for the pants and shirt each. If you don't have any, get some NOW! Don't know about you, but I love em. LBE is short for Load Bearing Equipment. This is usually Alice gear, like suspenders, butt pack, mag pouches, and the ALICE pack. This stuff is widely availiable, and if you have a rifle like a Mini or an AR, you should get some LBE with mag pouches. LBV is also short for Load bearing vest, which is becoming increasingly popular, although I like the alice gear, cuz it is modular. Any more questions? Everyone here is glad to help! Hope I shed some light on the subject for ya.

Josh,
For the home area you could always purchase a flotation device, either a big innertube or a small boat.........or since its your home area, why dont you build a walkway (out of rocks or some such), that dosent extend out of the water so at low water levels its not revealed..........(ive seen to many old movies....lol..), back when I was diving we used to use the old bc (bouyancy compensator), that the military issued....now a days the civilian ones have day glo colors etc........maybe that will help ....fubsy.

I will be Ok in that aspect, I have 2 boats and 1 big innertube. The only prob is that one of the boats is a jon boat, and if you have never been in one, you should try it sometime. If you drop anything, it sounds like a .22 lr going off. I put some plywood in the bottom, and that helped a little. I don't plan on doing anything in the water, I was just wandering if I could cross a creek or river when I am wearing my LBE(like that will ever happen, knock on wood).

Josh,
The task you inquire about is not impossible, wouldn't be feasible for 200+ meters, but depends on the technique and strength of the individual seeking to accomplish it. One technique that will assist in a great way is do use a modified "scout swim" stroke and do bobbing at the same time. Stretch out with each stroke, kick or fin hard, and pull/push as much distance as you can with each breath. Breath is the key, bouyancy. Take in as much as your chicken chest lungs can take, and hold it till you reach the full momentum of your last stroke. You will no doubt start to go down as you lose air. A good strong kick will resurface you for your next breath if you start going down. Quickly exhale and suck it right back in as you kick/glide/pull yourself over that next two or three meter spread of agua. Try swimming with your hands holding each other behind your back, as if handcuffed, and the air retention will "set you free"

Back