Sweat proof finish

Robar contacted me today, $125 for Roguard or Polymax finish on the slide and another $30 (minimum parts charge) for the mag release.

If anyone hadn't assumed, or already known such by now, I was wrong about the LCP. It's just blued steel, not the 'blackened stainless' that Ruger uses on other models, like the LCR (which is probably what I confused it with). I double-checked on the Ruger website, a few minutes ago.

Today, my LCP broke out in 'creeping brown mold' on the slide, after notable perspiration. It got a good freshwater scrub (I almost tested the 'dishwasher safe' theory ;)), and now the slide is going to bathe in penetrating oil for a few days. I'll wash the holster tomorrow.

Though the Robar treatment sounds good, I can almost buy another LCP for that price...

Warning: Zombie Thread!

So, my LCP has gotten notably more rust-pitted.

My brain started wandering, and I decided to see what Ruger's opinion was on the 'dishwasher safe' theory, with a bad joke thrown in:

Howdy. I've got an LCP that's getting rust pitted from sweat, due to carry in hot weather. Cleaning it all the time is a bit of a pain, so I was wondering: Since it's mostly stainless steel and plastic, is the LCP dishwasher safe? It would save me a helluva lot of time if I could just have my wife scrub it instead.

It took them about a week to respond with:

Thank you for contacting Ruger Customer Service.

Mr. [FrankenMauser],

No, we do not recommend putting any firearm in the dishwasher. You can have just the slide come in and we can repair your slide.

The slide only should be shipped priority mail or UPS Ground to SRC, Attn: Customer Service, 200 Ruger Road, Prescott, AZ 86301.

Thank you and have a good day,
Ruger Customer Service

The LCP is not dishwasher safe; but Ruger says they can 'repair' rusty slides. :D

They didn't say it was not dishwasher safe just that they don't recommend running it through the dish washer.
I am amazed that they responded to your letter. It sounds like a joke to me but then Ruger customer service has always been top notch. If the pits in the slide can't be polished out they will replace it for free. Good people backing a good product is always a pleasant encounter.

No joke I met a guy online who actually use to clean his glock like twice a year by running it thru the dish washer.. claimed it caused no ill effects.
Honestly I would not recommend this though.

However I think he only used dish soap.. see you gotta watch some of those house hold cleaners a lot of times they have bleach and that stuff is a potent oxidizer and can cause rust, most eating utensils are stainless steel which is rust resistant.

As far as sweet proof.. Im not sure there is a sweet proof finish.. stainless steel is usually pretty darn good though.

My advice is use eezox and clean your gun at least every other week.
That's what keeps rust off my pt99 with blued (and when I say blued I mean ya old fashion blued) finish.

I carry in a OWB holster with no sweet guard directly against skin under a shirt.

Your body chemistry will also play a roll, not all sweet is equal.

I put sniper gray Cerakote on my LC9, it's held up 2 years now IWB and gets pretty sweaty in the summer. It's not hard to do if you pay attention, follow the procedures and watch some of the instructional videos from Cerakote. Once you strip the slide (again, there are great videos and a few not so good ones) navel jelly works well at stripping the old finish. It has to be completely clean first.

Back