Sweat and Rust

It's stood up well enough on my revolvers over the years. You'll have to renew it every once in awhile as it will wear off, but it doesn't leave your fingers all oily.

Don't use it on parkerized finishes, though. Gives a hazy white appearance and you have to strip it out with ammonia.

After my range shoots, or for CCW maintenance, I immediately wipe down my firearms with a silicon rag until I get home where I spray with Ballistol for cleaning and lube, wipe it down again with a dry cloth, and apply Barricade on the exterior for full take down cleaning. My LC9 is in a Black Hawk #3 pocket holster that keeps sweat off the direct metal contact. This process is also repeated for my long guns.

Hard to reach internal parts are vulnerable too if you sweat a lot and carry against the body.

A very light oil like balistol... Or rem oil (though I am not a fan of rem oil) or other brands of light oil available in aerosol cans... They can really help protect the hard to reach areas in a firearm.

After a few cleanings, when I feel that I need to clean out the nooks and crannies that basic cleaning misses, here is what I do.

I break out an aerosol can oil, strip the gun down as much as possible without major parts removal, grips come off. (If I am taking out fcg parts, that is too far)

Then I spray out the action and all the hard to reach areas. I can see the hidden gunk dripping out. When I start getting more clear oil, I stop. Then I wipe the gun down as best I can.

Then I used pressurized air, caned air or a compressor set to about 10-15psi, and I spray out all the excess oil. When you are done, it will be mostly dry looking. A second wipe down and the gun is clean and all the parts, even hidden hard to reach ones, are coated with a thin layer of oil.

I then lube as I normally do, and then reassemble.

An oily rag, or a silicone cloth,
How long do you think the silicone lasts on the cloth? I have been using mine for about a year and never really thought about it. Still leaves a little shine, but that could be gun oil too.

The best thing Ive found for dealing with rust on guns with vulnerable finishes and being wiped down and put in storage, has been Eezox. Its what I spray my rags with these days.

I keep tools and a couple of guns in a usually pretty damp basement, even with a dehumidifier, and I havent had a speck of rust on anything since they were treated with Eezox. Some things havent been retreated since the initial wipe down, and its going on two years now. Nothing in the safe upstairs has shown any sign of rust either.

Two problems: Moisture and heat. If you put a moist gun in a case and leave it in a hot trunk or station wagon, the moisture makes for almost a steamy situation and an unprotected gun can rust in a matter hours.

Same situation if you keep your gun cases in a damp basement and put into a hot car. Enough residual moisture can get into every nook and cranny of your gun.

I use paste wax on my guns and am careful to not close a foam-padded case if there's a hint of moisture on my gun.

Back