Survivalist Handgun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mykl,

In any other scenario than anarchy, your daily carry gun and a cell phone are going to be of more service than any special weapon. I got the impressions from the post that we were talking about a weapon that is:

a. extemely reliable
b. extremely durable
c. chambered for a common round

Why does having a common chambering matter, unless you are scrounging ammo, concievably because the normal means of supply have dried up or cannot reach you for a great deal of time.

If I am worried about being stranded in the wilderness for a few days, I could go ut there in the first place with a supply of any ammo I wanted to buy.

Survivalist Handgun -- indicates something to use in a survival situation. A handgun is not my choice but in answer to the question, this is not a primary firefight gun. Drawing on my training, there can be only one calibre -- .22 rimfire. The gun could be a high quality revolver ( 6 to 9 shot S&W ) or a high quality semi auto -- Ruger, Browning, S&W. Ammo should be top of the line, and include some CB longs, as well as hi velocity 40 gr. solids, whatever shoots best in the gun. In survival situations, weight is a factor, and 200 rounds of .22 will weight ( with 50 CB longs ) less than 1 1/2 lbs, while 200 rounds of .357 158 gr will weight 7 1/2 lbs. In survival, stealth, and accuracy will be more important than firepower. Food and water will be more important than a big bullet. GLV

(Quote from my article "Good Guns for Bad Times")
...There is no single perfect tool for this job, and so the reader will have to balance various important attributes. These are:
Size
Weight
Power
Speed of operation
Range...(other factors including reliability, legality, etc)

....44 magnum ammunition is considerably (heavier) than...357, but if one is in an area where large, potentially aggressive animals...may be encountered...the additional power will be appreciated...

If...speed of operation and capacity are more important than carrying a magnum cartridge...Glocks...seem an obvious choice...the author owns a .40 Glock 24 that he feels meets this need nicely...

The author believes that bolt-action handguns may be a good compromise for those who need a relatively compact arm that will be accurate to rifle ranges, but who believe that addressing multiple targets rapidly is not a major priority.

Ok, so if I am stranded out in the middle of the wilderness, the best firearm is a .22 revolver. If I am in a large city and a riot breaks out I need an AR-15 and a bunch of friends. Is this what ya all are saying?

Sort of. Your choice of weapon will be dictated by what you are trying to survive. If you are trying to survive a riot or a bear attack the 22 might not be the best choice. Also if you are trying to use this weapon as a source of food and some protection, the 22 would be a good choice while the AR is overkill. My personal preferance would be a 1911 with a 22 conversion. You have 45 for protection and the 22 to hunt with.

Though I've never seen one, what about the Medusa? Assuming it's reliable that's about as versatile as anything out there right now.

Fal, Medusa actually makes replacement cylinders for several popular revolvers. You may wish to contact them for more info about this option.

Hi Doc,

Let's set calibre aside and address easy to fix or get parts aspect of your inquiry.

If one insists on a double action revolver, Rugers are absolutely the most reliable revolver. Granted they lack the selection or finish of S&W or the trigger pull of the Colt Python, but neither of these makes compare with Ruger for absorbing abuse and neglect. Kodiak already mentioned about the Ruger he qualified with.

From a maintenence perspective, (disassembly for servicing, cleaning, etc.), they're all about on par. Note, I'm not talking about replacing parts, just complete disassembly and cleaning.

Regarding repairing or tuning, Ruger and S&W are about on par but S&W will yield a superior trigger pull. However, Rugers revolvers subject to the same use and abuse as Colt or S&W will require less maintenance than either.

Colt Pythons require extensive training and practice to repair or tune and I can't recommend it to novices. Unlike newer Colt revolvers, Pythons are truly Old World Guns requiring Old World Craftsmen. It is very much like the British Webley inside.

On the newer Colt revolvers, the internal mechanism functions very much like the S&W and if you understand how a S&W works, you can figure out the newer Colts (so they're easy to work on).

Parts acquisition for S&W revolvers is probably easier than Ruger or Colt. But replacement of parts for revolvers are few and far between.

I've been trained to work on all three makes and own all three brands. While I love my Python and Diamondback 22 for sheer shooting joy and my M29 for wandering about in the woods (cat country), if I had to rely on any revolver, it would be the humble Ruger.

Turning to semiautomatics and using only the criteria of easy to fix or get parts, there's only two types I can recommend:

Glock - With about four hours of training, all you really need is a pin punch to work on a Glock. They're that simple.

The only other gun which isn't hard to work on is the M1911. Olympic Shooter and former Gunsmith Bob Chow was one of the first to point it out. With a little bit of training, it wouldn't take much for you to be able to swap parts. Unlike the Glock though, understanding the intracies of the Browning's 1911 design, how parts interact with one another, proper sear/hammer relationship, adjusting extractors, installing safeties, fitting barrel bushings, etc. is another matter and you should spend at least a week (40 plus hours) studying and assembling one. Enrolling yourself in a NRA gunsmithing course is about the easiest and least expensive way to acquire this knowledge and develop your skill.

One definite advantage of the 1911 is the availability of parts. Glock parts are easy to get, but 1911 even easier.

To summarize, if you have to get a revolver, go Ruger. If you go semiauto, go Glock or 1911.

Myself, I like the P220 in 45 but my selection process is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back