Surplus Nagant Revolvers are back.

I hand load the rounds gas sealed using cheapy Lee .30 carbine die. The bullet is 110gr copper plated for .30 carbine. Powder is trail boss. Shoots surprisingly well.

Managed to lighten the trigger pull by bending the main spring. DA is still astrocious as supposed. The screw trick is useless. It is not doing anything but limiting the trigger rest. But revolvers require complete trigger reset.

-TL

Here is the deal...For the Nagant revolver you either have to purchase factory type ammo or do a bit of work to the gun. There is some book...I dont remember the title that states what you have to do. According to the book you had to turn 32-20 brass case heads so many thousands of an inch smaller. What I did is turb down the ratchet that same ammount so that
32-20 cases would chamber.

To use 32-20 case I run them trhough a M1 carbine die to remove the shoulder. You can load them flush with the case mouth like factory loads but what I have done is shortended my cases so that the crimped bullet fits the cylinder so it looks like a tapered shortened .32 H&R case.

Attachments

• IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Here is the deal...For the Nagant revolver you either have to purchase factory type ammo or do a bit of work to the gun.

How can you say this is so with all the folks on here, including the post just before yours, and myself, that handload gas seal rounds for it?

I've got the good dies to reload with, ammo is not an issue.

These pistols were $99 the last importation, now they've doubled in price. Good investment gun, should go higher once this run has disappeared into the great American gun market. Remember the $75 SKS and the $100 Norwegian Mauser?

Remember the $75 SKS and the $100 Norwegian Mauser?

Yep, and the $69 Mosin M44 and M91/30; $89 Mosin M38; $117 CZ52; $150 P-64; the list goes on and on. *ALL* good investments.

Mine is fun. I think it's a 1940's WWII one, if I recall correctly. It was factory reconditioned and looks really good.

I'm pretty sure it shot SW 32 long just fine.

It shoots okay single action, nothing to write home about.

The double action is truly the worst I have felt on any handgun ever.

It is cool to look at, historical, a good investment, and functional. It wouldn't be my first choice of handgun to defend myself with in an emergency, but it certainly wouldn't be the last on the list, either.

Nagant_zpsd7b34370.jpg

Last edited:
I'm kind of torn between getting one of these from AIM.

They are 2x as expensive as they one were, and appear to not come with a lanyard. Not cool. But, I wanted one at one time... I'm just totally torn up and don't know what to do. :(

They are 2x as expensive as they one were, and appear to not come with a lanyard. Not cool. But, I wanted one at one time... I'm just totally torn up and don't know what to do.

If you wait a bit, they will 4X as expensive next time they are available ..... if they are available at all!

It is real simple...... you can put the gas seal back on if you use the factory cases but all that bending is going to decrease case life dramatically and Star 32-20 cases are expensive enough.

It is real simple...... you can put the gas seal back on if you use the factory cases but all that bending is going to decrease case life dramatically and Star 32-20 cases are expensive enough.
I use the factory alright, but I reckon folding the case mouth is really unnecessary. I trim the case short enough not to impede the cylinder's rotation. It needs to be long enough to get inside the forcing cone when the revolver is cocked to form the seal. After the bullet is seated below mouth, the mouth needs to be closed up a bit to facilitate the seal. I found the best bullet for job be the plated bullet for 30 carbine. Its conical shape works best to form the seal.

It works well. I gain about 20% in speed.

-TL

you can put the gas seal back on if you use the factory cases but all that bending is going to decrease case life dramatically

Simple solution to that: anneal them.

Annealing, a highly technical process based on holding a case at mid point while rotating between the fingers and heating the case mouth at the tip of a propane flame until the pain reaches your brain and you are forced to let go. The case then falls into a pan of water waiting below. If you find your fingers will not let go of the brass, you have overheated the cases.

This highly technical excerpt taken from here:

http://www.realguns.com/archives/130.htm

What diameter is that bullet, tango?
It is 0.308". I know it is smaller than the groove diameter, but it actually works the best amount all the thing I have tried. I certainly tried 32 cal, 0.312" to 0.313". They will not work for gas seal. The rounds will be too big to go into the cylinder.

Without the gas seal, the accuracy cannot be good. Nagant does not has tight throat as other revolvers. It needs the brass to guide the bullet. That's why 0.308" bullets with seal will do better than 0.312" without the seal. Also with bullets smaller than groove diameter, cast bullets don't work. They should be jacketed, plated, or powder coated.

-TL

Don't know about Starline brass, but my Nagant has no problem with Remington and Winchester .32-20 brass. No need to thin the rims. Depends upon the particular gun I guess?
Paid less than a C-note for mine, but that was a good many years ago. ALL guns have gone up. A certain semiauto rifle I bought for $375 (which was high then!) is going for over six bills now. ANYTHING with any real historical interest is climbing fast.

I must be doing something wrong with the .312" XTP's then ..... they seemed to work.
You mean it can go in the cylinder with gas seal? Mine couldn't.

With 0.312" bullet I had to trim the brass way back (no seal). It worked alright. But the 0.308" bullet with seal gave me much better group with 20% more speed. Besides 30 carbine bullets are cheap, about 10 cents a round, and I have a lot of them.

Regardless, point is hand loads with gas seal is doable with good results. It is not that hard either.

-TL

I hand load the rounds gas sealed using cheapy Lee .30 carbine die. The bullet is 110gr copper plated for .30 carbine. Powder is trail boss. Shoots surprisingly well.

Managed to lighten the trigger pull by bending the main spring. DA is still astrocious as supposed. The screw trick is useless. It is not doing anything but limiting the trigger rest. But revolvers require complete trigger reset.

-TL

Have you written up how you're reloading for this cartridge? I have the Lee dies for 7.62x38 Nagant and have only succeeded in ruining brass in my attempts.

Have you written up how you're reloading for this cartridge? I have the Lee dies for 7.62x38 Nagant and have only succeeded in ruining brass in my attempts.
My previous post on the subject a while ago didn't attract much interest, only one response if I remember correctly, so I didn't elaborate much. I could write up the details if folks find useful.

-TL

Back