Surefire, and carry case?

U2 Ultra

I like my U2 ultra - it's a little bulkier, but the 100 lumen LED will dim, making it useful for such pedestrian tasks and finding you keys or reading a map without destroying your night vision.

-tINY

"Just one question. Whats wrong with good old standard MAG-LITE in 4 or 6 D-Cell configuration? Super bright (with right bulb), nearly indestructable, waterproof, and makes one hell of a club in a pinch......"

No flame, just comment.

I've used mag-lites for years. Once I got a really good light the mag-lites have set and gathered dust. The new lights are brighter than a mag lite with any bulb, don't have the holes in the light pattern, and are light and small enough to carry all the time. (think your 6D cell light with krypton bulb, ADD more brightness, and in a package the size of a min-mag lite) So bright that the value as a weapon is the brightness, rather than as a head knocker. The sure-fire bulbs are tougher than the old type also. I've dropped mine many times, and other than one time I dropped my sure-fire on my steel truck bumper, (it quit a couple days later)I believe my lamp failures have been from long use. seemed like about every time I dropped a mag-lite or mini-mag on the ground or floor it would need a new bulb.

I just returned home from vacation, and the battery set I ordered from the Battery Station (see earlier post for link) had arrived. I ordered the set that includes 12 batteries in a smallish Pelican (1040) watertight case. The case comes with the batteries inserted in neat little holes, and it has a cutout for a flashlight to be carried there, too. The cost was $35, but with shipping, the total was $41.95.

From here on, I will be buying their CR123A batteries at the crazy low price of $1.25 per battery. (They sell them in orders of 10.)

I, too, was shocked to see that these batteries sell at store like Walmart for more than SIX DOLLARS PER BATTERY! I would have none of that. :mad: That's insane.

I'm certainly glad for cheap online sources. :D

-blackmind

Let us know how the batteries hold up. My experience with non-Surefire batteries has not been good. They are the same price $1.25ea, from Surefire when bought by the box of 12.

Well, I don't know who actually manufactures the Battery Station batteries. As seen on the link, they are blue and say "Battery Station" on them. I have nothing to go on as yet, since they're not even in my flashlight yet. I also am not likely to do a test run of "how long do they light up the flashlight" the way some here would probably do out of curiousity. So I won't likely get a true sense of their run time.

I certainly hope you are not talking about crappy power output, and I hope even more so that you're not talking about ruptures/leakages! :eek:

But if you say that a tried-and-tested source like Surefire has them for $1.25 also, I will look into ordering replacements from them instead.

-blackmind

I've used Panasonic, and one other brand (can recall which brand), and found that when a Surefire battery gives me several hours of use, the Panasonic gave me about 10-15 minutes.

Surefire claims that they tried every lithium battey on the market, found the best, and have all their batteries made for them by that company. I don't know who the maker is, but I'm sure it isn't Panasonic.

Surefire charges $5 shipping, no matter how many boxes of batteries and lights you get at once. I guess I should say within reason, they only charge $5. If you ordered a pallet, they may charge more shipping.

I dunno, maybe I'm not 'tactical' enough. :D

I might try one of these newer lights, if they are that much better, but the prices seem a little steep for a flashlight. I don't need a flashlight that makes me look like a car dealership running a special. The only thing I can find slightly annoying about the mag-lites, is the blank spots, or the ability to form a tighter light beam. They kinda light up the room at large. :(

Maybe I'll try one. I'd like to test one out first to see if it would be worth the money....how well they hold up......how long batteries last, ect....

For a starter light, I'd go with a Streamlight Skorpion, or a Surefire G3 nitrolon. My first really good light was the Skorpion, which I still have. I like my E2E best, but for the price, The Skorpion is a very good light.

I think I'll get another Skorpion for a spare.

Oh, and battery life won't be very good at first, because you'll be playing with it a lot in amazment of how bright it is, and showing it to other people. The battery life will be much better when the new wears off.

UN-Surefire

I tryed many lights out there on the job,(LEO and overseas)and I must say,Surefire lights are crap...i have 2..the bulbs dont last
when you drop it,and the bulbs dont last when you dont,plus there expensive..and on one I had,the bulb actually melted the lens.It doesnt matter if they have a lifetime warranty ,or they will send you a new lens in 24hrs,or that someone carrys spare batterys and lenses,when the SHTF and your light aint lit..Its your life and I wouldnt have it depend on a UN-surefire
For now I only carry Streamlight now,(mainly the stinger),they are the best in my opinion,you can drop it,throw it,hit someone over the head with it(j/k) and they still work...
Surefire has the colorful advertising,thats about it

Last edited:
GoW

Well, here soon I will have my experience, I had my order placed before you posted. Hopefully, my experience will be better.

I have heard that supposedly fixed the bulb-drop issue. Here is to hope, because you are right, they ARE expensive.

Good luck Somekid....
Evader1:The streamlight stinger is pretty bright for what it is..granted its old and has been around 10 yrs,spec wise surefire's compatible light has higher lumens and candlepower,but side by side I honestly couldnt tell the diffrence..
I must add that im talking about personal lights/duty lights that get alot of use..and that I prefer Streamlight for that particular use...
As for a tactical light/weapon light,where you arent using it alot ,and you would like the blinding white light..i would have to say Surefire is better..even though I still dont think they are that durable..

GoW I know what you mean about using the light. I wouldn't use that for anything I need extended light for. It's far to powerful and bright. In the field I usually go with a smaller Mag-Lite or something like that. But for emergencies and what not I keep my Surefire. The little sucker does get hot though

Back