suppressors ridiculously priced !!

tahoe2

why is that ? they already get you with a "Federal Tax Stamp".
they cost more than my gun; darn it !

Well the "THEY" is the Federal Gov. They couldn't care less how much the next guy in line, the manufacturer, sticks you for.
Want to play, got to pay.

The $200 is there no matter what the suppressor is. You CAN
make your own----pay the tax and have at it. As everybody else
has said, low volume, heavy regulation, labor intensive.

It has more to do with lack of competition that difficulty in manufacturing. In many other countries, where they're not only legal but sometimesrequired, silencers can be had for $50.

Another factor, I think, it that the approval process is expensive and time consuming so we (the American consumer) expect to get a very high-end product for all the time and money.

It's volume.

The process requires filling out a bunch of forms, fingerprinting, photos, etc., then takes (most recently) 6 months to complete... And usually you have to pay 50% up front on the suppressor.

That complexity greatly reduces volume for the manufacturer. Another factor is that many people don't even realize that suppressors are legal to own (at least in some states). So they don't even try to buy one.

Heck, if suppressors could be purchased by just forking over $ without going through the tax stamp process, I'd probably own 5 or 6 of them vs. just the one...

I seen an old magazine that was advertising supressors for $5. I don't see what all the hee-Haw is about supressors. So the gun makes less noise. I kind of see why they don't want everyone having full-auto guns, and restrict those but supressors? Pffft. That's dumb.

I'm learning how to make my own, I will never buy one unless it is something I can't make.

As for the high cost (other than the $200 tax) that is capitalism at work, Don't like it, form your own company to make cheap disposable silencers for $30 wholesale. It can be done.

lark

As an 07/02 FFL I've got to say that some of the high cost is dealers marking suppressors up quite a bit. I talked to one customer recently who had purchased a suppressor from another local dealer for 20% more than my price on the same can, and we're still making about 15% at our price. So part of it is finding a good dealer that's not excessively elevating the costs just to increase their margin of profit. I understand that it can be difficult to make a lot of money in the firearms business, but we've managed to build a slow but steady and profitable business by treating people fairly and earning a lot of repeat business.

Find a good honest local dealer and you'll find the costs are perhaps a little more affordable than you might be seeing elsewhere. :cool:

Another factor, I think, it that the approval process is expensive and time consuming so we (the American consumer) expect to get a very high-end product for all the time and money.
You're correct. They're expected to be expensive, so they are.

Since the $200 and Form 4 is required to transfer from one owner to another, there's really no secondary market, either.

I could tell you, if I ever want to buy a silencer, I have no intention of making my own. First, it's a PITA to do a trust and NFA paperwork, so I would want something top-of-the-line for my efforts. Not some oil filter clamped onto the end of a barrel. I neither have the skills nor the equipment (nor a place to keep the equipment needed) to make a top-quality suppressor. Because suppressors have little resale value, I am sitting this one out - too much money, too much trouble, no real ability to get your money out of it - too rich a toy for me.

Look into Huntertown Arms. They are what most people have been waiting for and their design is genious. What sucks about most the suppressor companies is they are expensive, for the reasons listed above. Huntertown designs are all modular so they can be rebuilt without needing to pay another stamp fee. If I bought one, it's what I would get.

I just bought a used hobby lathe for $400 yesterday and am getting a wire fed welder for $150 next week. I already have calipers, grinder, drill bits, reamers and other assorted tools. With material for a 22lr silencer running about $30 and for a 308 about $50 it is a deal I can't beat. I got someone to teach me the silencer making basics so I don't have to learn by making mediocre silencers.

I already have a trust, making one with Quicken Willmaker was a snap. There is lots of info online about filling out the ATF form 1 so I am not worrying about it being rejected. I also know a few guys who have made their own and one of them was able to look over the forms before I sent them in.

$250 for a muffler is no big deal. I spend more than that on ammo just for my 22's each year. When I get out of the Navy and get a decent paying job, I will be able to invest in much more powder and bullets for my larger calibers.

Once you go suppressed, you never go back.

lark

I paid $1400.00 for my first. I was for a 45-70. The more uncommon the more it will cost you. 22 suppressors are very cheep compared to center-fire and common center fire such as 22 or 30 caliber are much cheaper than less common calibers .458, 50

Look into Huntertown Arms. They are what most people have been waiting for and their design is genious. What sucks about most the suppressor companies is they are expensive, for the reasons listed above. Huntertown designs are all modular so they can be rebuilt without needing to pay another stamp fee. If I bought one, it's what I would get.

That's what I have for my .22's.

Back