Suppressor for my AK.

V4Vendetta

I have a SAR-1. Can I put a silencer on it? If yes, what's a good brand? How much would a suppressor cost in addition to the $200 tax? I'm new to NFA stuff.

EDIT: I think I should mention that my AK is NOT a select fire version.

My guess is, your AK is a 7,62X39??
In this case you can use any .30 suppressor.
I prefer Gemtech and you are looking about $695.00 and $200 for a Quick Detach.

Hey, at least he didn't call a magazine a "clip"
Thank god. For some reason, that really chaps my a$$. Sorta like referring to a deers' antlers as 'horns'. Horns are permanent, antlers are shed. Clips feed magazines, magazines feed guns.

And my personal view is that silencers and suppressors are different animals. Just my .02.

And now back to our regularly scheduled program...

Hiram Maxim made silencers.:D

Anyhow, you'll need a 30 cal suppressor/silencer if you're running 7.62x39, a 5.56 model if you're running a 223 or 5.45. You can have the barrel threaded, and use a screw on can, or have a quick detach flash suppressor mounted. Prices will vary, for $500 up.

We just had this conversation over on AR15.com a few days back. The general consensus was that they are interchangeable.

So what your saying is that the majority of people on that forum agree to use incorrect terms? I trust the people here on this forum would be smart enough to learn the correct term and use it. Just because people agree on something that is wrong does not make it correct.

I wouldn't listen to what gets said over at that site if I were you. IMO they are nothing but children who are playing on their daddy's computers.

Yes you can, HOWEVER sec 922r applies as ATF considers a SOUND suppressor to also act as a FLASH suppressor... so the 10 parts rule applies...

if they aren't interchangeable, why does form 4 say silencer on it?
;)

I believe the proverbial nail has been hit on the head with this one...

I know everything at ARFCOM needs to be taken with a grain of salt (note my previous bashing of that site on this one) but the only point I am trying to make here is that while I would rather see them referred to properly (suppressors) I am not going to turn bright red and have my head explode if I hear someone say silencer instead. Webster's definition calls the item a silencer, and the ATF calls it a silencer, so if the Original Poster wants to call it a silencer, let him! Help him get interested in NFA stuff and join the 'club'. We need all the support we can get if we want to keep our toys in the future.

V4Vendetta: Find a local C3 dealer and ask to look at some samples. He should be happy to oblige, heck might even let you try some! You are going to spend about $500 and up for the can before the tax. I have heard good things about the new line of YHM cans for the .30 and they are very good price-performers too. Check them out at YHM's website.

Here is a vid of the YHM Phantom 30 from my buddy at Carolina Tactical Supply. I don't know where you are in NC but this guy is in Sumter, SC. I recently bought a 9mm can from him and he is great to deal with.

To all concerned: I know the difference between a clip & a magazine. A M1 Garand uses stripper clips. My AK uses a magazine.

I live near Winston-Salem, NC. That's a good ways from SC. I think my nearest dealer with a class 3 license is in Raleigh & that's a 2 hour drive. I'll look into it though.

My AK fires the 7.62x39mm cartridge. I looked at the rifle last night & it looks like the barrell is threaded already but it's threaded behind the front sight. It looks like I'd have to take the front sight off to put the suppressor on it.:confused:

Attachments

• Sar1-1.jpg
    Sar1-1.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 149
Here's the deal-- you need some type of thread on the muzzle to connect either the suppressor to directly, or some type of mounting adapter (e.g. G5 or M4-2000). It doesn't look like there is very much room past the FSB to thread it, but it might still be possible.

I just posted the pic. The threads are hard to see but they are there. They are behind the sight at the end of the barrell.

EDIT: I just looked at the Gemtech website & the only suppressor I saw for a centerfire rifle besides the .223 was the .308 version. Is the 308 the one I need?

To all concerned: I know the difference between a clip & a magazine. A M1 Garand uses stripper clips. My AK uses a magazine.

You might wanna check your facts on that one;)
The M1 Garand uses an "en bloc" clip.

Back