Suppressor costs

Spend a few bucks on good ear protection. And, it is a .22, much easier on the ears than almost any other round. If you are attempting to shoot on private land with bothering the neighbors, That may have some merit, otherwise don't post a sticky note with your info on the BATF bulletin board.

otherwise don't post a sticky note with your info on the BATF bulletin board.
I have never heard of anyone getting in trouble with the ATF for legally owning or using a suppressed firearm.

Ranb

There’s no good, logical reason to own a suppressor.

+1 RAnb! In semi-enclosed areas my 16" POF 7.62 gives me a splitting headache after a few mags. It's an awesone rifle but highly unpleasant to shoot anywhere not out in the open. That's why it'll wear a can as soon as my stamp arrives.

Last edited:
In my case

Suppressor - SWR Spectre around $500
Pay BATFE - $200
Class III FFL transfer for the silencer - $25
Then of course a trust to register the suppressor under - Already had one.

The pistol itself was only going to cost about $325. - $200 for a MKII 22/45, have the front sight set back and barrel threaded and a barrel nut made, $125.

So I'm looking at close to $1200 after I buy a few extra mags and a few bricks of .22lr.

Now for $100 I get a threaded barrel for my 10/22. The can runs double duty on the two Rugers. I rarely shoot them without it.

I'm up to around $850 invested in my little 22lr suppressor , which I still don't have possession of. This does not include any firearm but does include having two barrels threaded. $150 each.

I ordered my first suppressor a few months back. I ordered it from the factory (big mistake) so they have to build it rather than buying it from a retail shop that carry's them in stock. They say that my FFL should have it by this coming Monday. That is a 15 week build time.

I think the reason I bought mine is a practical reason. I got mine for my hunting rifle. The gun is a 45/70 and it is very loud. I dont know why but when I wear hearing protection I get a plugged up feeling in my head and it drives me crazy. I can handle it for a range session of an hour or two, but several days of hunting would kill me.

My suppressor cost me $1325.00 + $200.00 for the tax stamp + $30.00 for finger prints and photos.... Grand total $1555.00 (plus 6% Idaho sales tax on the $1325.00). It seems a little funny that I put this much money in to a suppressor for a $900.00 rifle with a $200.00 scope. So I guess its not real practical but I do enjoy being able to hear.

I was seriously toying with the idea of getting a suppresor myself for a 300Blk AR build.. but after finding out that the total costs associated with just getting the suppressor alone is over $1k, I'd rather just buy/build another AR15.

IMO they are cool to have, but on the civilian world is pretty much a luxury. I would not mind having one though!

Justice, There are good deals on suppressors to be had if you shop around. Lots of smaller manufacturers are getting into the business, and are making some high-quality, moderately-priced cans. Take, for example, Huntertown Arms in Indiana. They are making 5.56 and 7.62 cans with an MSRP of around $499 (I've seen them listed for sale at $399). Add the $200 check to Uncle Sugar and that gets you a user-serviceable suppressor that comes apart for cleaning for well under the $1,000 mark. I've met the owner of the company and have shot their cans, and they are incredibly quiet for costing what they do.

Plus, if you go with a .30 caliber can, you are able to use it on most any caliber that is smaller. For example, using a 7.62 can on your 5.56 AR. That way you can get the most use out of your investment.

Silencers are starting to go mainstream, and several states have either passed or are considering legislation to allow hunting game animals with silencers. To those of you who think the price of entry for suppressors is too high, take note of all the newcomers to the industry. Healthy competition will bring prices down.

the Big bore suppressors are more money than smaller calibers. a 223 suppressor is much cheeper than a 458 Socom suppressor. I think it is because most places that build suppressors build for 22lr, 223 (5.56), and 308 for rifle calibers. IF you use these calibers you can usually find suppressors pretty cheep (comparatively)

Back