Suppressing a 9mm pistol.. barrel thread question

I am sure suppressors have come a long way. Many years ago I owned an open bolt MAC-11. It was extremely quiet, even firing from an open bolt. The only noise I got was from the bullet. I had some one make me up some reloads to get it under the speed of sound, and then the gun would not function. The "Snap" of the bullet sounded like an old cap gun in an enclosed area.

Maybe I missed it but has anyone addressed the functionality issues of certain pistol designs?
I was under the impression that pistols with "fixed" barrels vs. those with barrels that "move" during cycling made better hosts.

I was under the impression that pistols with "fixed" barrels vs. those with barrels that "move" during cycling made better hosts.

All my centerfire hosts are tilt barrel locking types. Mostly Glocks, but 1 Sig as well.

They have been 100% dead nuts reliable with both my reloads and factory ammo. If the ammo will function in my guns without the can..it will function with the can.

I have 2 pistol cans, a Octane 45 and a TiRant 9s. So a full size and a mini. Ive shot the Octane on a G35(9mm barrel), G21, G23 & a G19 The TiRant has been shot on the G19, G26 and a Sig 226.

I know that using a fixed barrel host eliminates the need for a Nelson device and would instead use a fixed barrel mount.

Mobuck said:
In addition to what Sharkbite said, I'll point out that pistols with fixed barrels usually make worse hosts than locked-breech pistols with moving barrels. And that's because the breech opens earlier on fixed-barrel straight blowback designs, sending more noise and debris out of the chamber towards the shooter.

The issue with silencer functionality on fixed vs. moving barrels was an important one back before Neilson devices were invented. But now virtually all modern centerfire pistol cans are available with them (also called pistons, LIDs, or boosters).

(On a side note, some of the silencer manufacturers try to make it seem like their Neilson design is unique and special, but they're all the same basic design and they all allow you to switch out mounts for use with barrels that have different thread patterns. I can't tell you how often someone will come in to the store and ask for one specific brand of .45 silencer because that brand can be put on a 9mm also. The customer always seems surprised when I point out that all .45 silencers from all major manufacturers can do that.)

One of issues of a moving/tilting barrel design, when used with a silencer is that if you shoot really fast, like Jerry Michaluk fast, the gun and piston and silencer combo makes it feel like you are handling a noodle.

This is especially true if you are shooting the silencer on a machine pistol. It feels like the gun is doing the wave while you're shooting it.

Thanks Tony, I never thought about that issue, but it makes sense. I guess I never noticed that because I've never shot a suppressed machine pistol and I sure as heck can't shoot as fast as Jerry Michulek!

image1_zpsidxbopgr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Springfield's suppressor ready XDm's are available in both 9mm and 45acp. When I got my suppressor I almost went with the Ti-Rant but choose the Octane 45 instead. With the 9mm end cap its quieter than the Octane 9 and works great on my 300bo as well.

Back