Suppressed .22 bolt actions

Federal Target Match is doing a reliable 1.5in at 50yds. CCI Quiets are more like 6-8in groups at 50, which is disappointing. My scope turret just decided to unscrew rather than let the cap go, so it's going back to Leupold for a while.

. CCI Quiets are more like 6-8in groups at 50

In my rifle they weren't that terrible at fifty yards.

iTNEMB7.jpg

There is a lot of drop though, I used the bullseye as the aiming point.

Same range, same size target but shot with Wolf MT

yRNYIZJ.jpg

Wolf MT at a different range, this one indoors so there are no crosswinds to worry about, also, I think the diamond shaped bullseye helps to precisely line up the scope crosshairs.
Another factor that may have caused that high flyer in that outdoor range group is head and tail wind. A tail wind will make a bullet hit high and a head wind will make a bullet hit low. Cross winds will push a bullet to the left or right, and will also make it hit high or low. In a right hand twist barrel, a crosswind from the left will push a bullet to the right and down, and a crosswind from the right will push a bullet to the left and up. This climbing and dropping in crosswinds is one of the reason bench rest shooters like a rifling twist that's only just enough to stabilize the bullet. Bench rest competition is largely a wind reading contest.
fbyAZmk.jpg

Rifle was a Winchester 1885 single shot (low wall) with a 24 inch barrel and a Leupold 2-7X rimfire scope.

Last edited:
In my 16.5" threaded 10-22 the Aguila SS solid nose is the best grouping ammo I've found. Switching to a new RAR compact threaded, I got decent groups with the Aguila sub-sonic but found that CCI sub-sonic HP cut those 3/4-1" 75 yard groups by 1/2.

Mobuck said:
Road Clam, that's a huge can on the little RAR.

Agreed. Considering where I am at currently with db suppression with my .30 cal suppressor on the RAR I highly doubt it's worth another $400 + the 6 month wait time for the stamp on purchasing a dedicated 22LR can. I also have a smaller Revolution 45 can that is serviceable . Going to try that can on the RAR as soon as I get my thread adaptor.

I run a AAC Pilot on my RAR compact .22lr and with CCI subsonic HP it is stupid quiet. Meaning, it's just the click of the firing pin striking the primer and the whap or clink of the bullet impacting the target.

My Sig can is sealed. No worries, i've learned that shooting cast lead is not a problem as long as you shoot a minimal amount of cast, then shoot jacketed supers to "blast clean" all the lead deposits. I used a bore scope through my can before and after shooting cast and this method works awesome.
I’ve heard of people using this method with varying results. It’s good that you’re managing to get the lead out, but I’d worry about the extra internal wear of having little pieces of lead flying around inside my can when I’m cleaning it with full-power rifle loads. I really don’t know how much extra wear that causes (if any), but it’s something I don’t want to risk testing on my rifle cans.

I also have a smaller Revolution 45 can that is serviceable . Going to try that can on the RAR as soon as I get my thread adaptor.
If you do that using the booster assembly and a fixed-barrel spacer replacing the spring, keep in mind that you’re going to lead up your booster assembly. I believe the Revolution’s booster assembly is aluminum, so it’s going to be a pain to clean compared to the stainless baffles.

I shot a lot of .22 through my Octane 9 before I got my .22 can and I wish I hadn’t. It got the aluminum piston housing all leaded up and I was never able to clean it all out. Luckily I destroyed that can in a torture test and SilencerCo sent me a new one, so I never had to figure out how to get that lead completely out.

It looks like the piston housing assembly on the Revolution is removable (it isn’t on the Octane), so it should be easier to clean than mine was at least. Or if you’re bypassing the booster assembly and just using a dedicated direct-thread mount, that will skip the issue entirely.

All this is my way of recommending you just get a dedicated .22 can. It’s going to be a lot lighter and more compact that what you’re using now, and it’s going to be easier to clean; even easier than a serviceable pistol can since the baffles on many top-end rimfire cans are specifically designed to be easy to take apart when leaded ip.

Thanks Theohazard for your input. Griffin Armarment offers a fixed mounts for my Rev 45 can, as well as a .22 cal end cap. I think it's worth buying as I don't want to compromise my piston assembly.

Back