Supporting local gun shops...

Carmike

Hello all,

I've been shooting guns (and adding a few to my stable) for about two years now, so I'm no expert. I live in a town of about 100,000 with some box stores and a few smaller gun shops.

When I'm looking for a new gun, or for ammo or anything else gun related, I'd like to support the LGS instead of either an online entity or the big box stores. But the price differential is so great that I find myself always looking online. I want to buy a 357 lever gun. And a revolver in the same caliber. Maybe a 9mm Kel-tec carbine or a 223 or 243 bolt action. I'm not so experienced that I'm comfortable buying used, especially when the difference between new and used isn't that great.

In all honesty, why should I consider the LGS? I don't mean this to be a stupid question...What am I getting buying a Henry in the store for 25% more than the online cost (plus the extra sales tax) that I don't get from the online version? Or the same markup on a S&W revolver? Or any other gun? I was looking for a turkey load for the spring hunt coming up, and I stopped at the LGS...it was $20 for a box that was $13 at the big box store literally three blocks away? That's only $7, but it's, what, 40% more? The markup on guns isn't quite that big, but it's significant. For an expensive gun, I can buy a nice one and essentially get a cheaper one for free.

First, I would like to point out that your local gun shop is necessary in order for you to enjoy that rifle or handgun you want to order from the online distributor. You can't get it without a local gun shop!

Next, if you count the cost of the gun, shipping and transfer fees, you could probably get it cheaper from your local gun shop's inventory anyway.

Wishing for cheaper and cheaper consumer goods is what has this country (and many other countries) teetering on the edge of financial disaster while the Chinese are prospering. If you don't understand how economies work, you should find out.

And let us not forget, without local gun shops, you all become employees of large corporations who can and will dictate your allegiance (if you want to keep and advance in your job). And if you don't like the teenage gun clerks at your local superstore, don't worry! There will be a different one there next week!

And lastly (and I hear this every day), there are not very many gunsmiths around anymore, and many of us work at local gun shops. Sure, everybody knows "that guy" who works on everybody's guns real cheap. I know about them, too! I fix their screw-ups!

I truly appreciate your insults, and while you are most certainly right about my ignorance in some matters, I fear there's a reference in a book I know about poking out the beam in one's eye before smiting the mote in another's.

There are probably 15 box stores in an hour's drive (I'm near Minneapolis, MN), four within 15 minutes, that process transfers for about $25. The LGS charges $40. (My definition of "LGS" might've been different, but I did not include the store where I can buy cattle feed, forsythia plants, and camo underwear for my wife while shopping for beef sticks and coffee across the aisle where they have Carhart jackets and dirty magazines.) Shipping from the (American) online vendors is free, at least from the ones I'm looking at.

Again, your confidence is admirable, and I do wish I shared it in online forums, but how does my question about buying an American-made gun at one particular kind of American company mean I'm supporting a worldwide Chinese takeover conspiracy?

And should I assume I'll need an American gunsmith for an American made rifle or revolver I pay $1000 for (almost $1100 including tax)? Well, that's at the LGS. It's $720 at the other American store (maybe $750, same gun, with shipping and tax).

There are good local gun stores and there are bad ones. I don't mind paying a bit more if i'm getting some good local service but i'm not going to support a gouger.

The ammo shortage a few years ago said a lot for this in a small town.

Store 1 doubled the ammo prices and their answer was if other stores are doing it than they can too. The ammo in question I was looking for went to $60 a box even with $30 stickers on it. There were 3 boxes there and there are still 3 boxes there.

Store two was telling people that 22lr ammo was coming in and once the ammo showed up a few boxes would go on the shelf and the rest was "bought" by the owner and sold at an incredible mark up privately.

Both stores sell fishing and camping items and the mark up doesn't seem that bad so I support that side of the stores still.

I support my local gun shop because I know all the people working there including the owner. They have not gouged on anything. They have an excellent gunsmith and their prices are competitive. I once had a problem with a brand new gun, I took it back to the store and they sent it back to the factory and took care of everything for me. Their customer service is great.

Not all LGS are created equal. Some (or one) shop owners are so rude, I wonder who does business there. A few shops charge amazing high prices and stay in business. Other LGS are well run and fair priced and even a place too hang out and talk. More important they offer the chance to examine the gun in person. believe me, quality varies, even a low end plastic stocked guns like Ruger American. The wood on a high end gun will always vary. I am very careful with used guns. I usually limit that to discontinued special models or much older guns. All the more reason to buy those local. The local LGS will buy an estate of guns. Those are the lifetime accumulation of the deceased favorites - not lemons, and maybe worth a premium or a look.

The big shops and internet have a place too.

Edit: Reb, yes. I forgot about the extra support from the LGS. That I found out with remington's junk. Forget that brand name! LGS got a quick turn and did all the shipping and telephone work.

I truly appreciate your insults, and while you are most certainly right about my ignorance in some matters, I fear there's a reference in a book I know about poking out the beam in one's eye before smiting the mote in another's.

There was nothing insulting about Scorch's post only facts.

I have two local gun shops. One is well lit, professional friendly staff, excellent inventory, competitive prices for the area, and also does classes for new and journeymen shooters. The other is dark, half guns, half junk, (boots, military uniforms, work out equipment, stuff you would find in a pawn shop or a garage sale), however it does has comfy couches for people to relax on - but only the shop owner's friends are allowed to relax there. If he doesn't know you, he might ask you to move on. The inventory is oddball, overpriced, (GSG STG44 for $800??), and I never saw a gun actually being sold when I went inside. The reloading section at one time had powder containers that were relabeled in hand marked paper tags to reflect a different powder being in the bottle! The man behind the counter was grumpy and indifferent to customers, and I haven't been back in some time. Heck, the local pawn shops are far more inviting, and have better inventory!
I support the first guy with what business I can, since he doesn't stock reloading gear, but everything else I can afford to buy there, I do. The other guy...waiting to see the "for rent" sign on the front of the store.

If you don't understand how economies work, you should find out.

In fairness to the OP, this did not sounds that nice to me. Not a big deal, to get in a huff over either.

I dont get the point though. Competition drives price, it is the cornerstone of our economy. The LGS offer a service too offset the savings. If you reduce the over head (online) or buy in quantity (big box)you are going to kill it on pricing. Simple. I think the OP knows this too. It is not so much economics as psychology for the LGS. I like certain LGS and think its ends up a "get what I pay for situation". That is a "GOOD LGS" and looking at the whole picture.

To repeat, I get to examine a new gun first. I see more and better used guns in some cases with a known history. And better support. And I enjoy the experience. More for guns and much less for any ammo or accessories.

I support my local shop by doing consignment. They make more money off of consignment than retail. Plus the big box stores get 50%, as opposed to 20%.

As for buying new guns, that's a rarity. I go used or preowned. I prefer private sales. If I do go new, then I go where the best price is locally. I go to Sportman's Warehouse where I get a discount off of the sales tax, as a Veteran. Plus they have the biggest selection of guns in my area, outside of a gun show (which I always attend).

Bigger stores like Gander and Dick's are overpriced. But they also employ a lot of people. That keeps the economy going, too.

I live in a smaller city of 90,000 give or take. We go where we can find something.

Other times, I get a transfer from a forum or online sale. My buddy gives me a discount for the transfer fee. 0-$20.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

IME, the reason to support the lgs is to keep them going where they excel:
1) they have inventory to touch. Ever hold a gun and determine it was not as cool as the Internet said?

2) you see and inspect your gun before handing over money. It makes the whole I ordered this gun, got it home and there is a scratch or maybe a styling line I don't like, a nonissue. That is nice.

3) sometimes you find a sales person who can help you or your friend get the right gun. If looking at a 9mm Hipoint and 9mm Shield at the same price for CCW, just maybe they can help the newb buy the right gun.

4) need a box of ammo to shoot today. They have it, with a way better in/out experience that Walmart!

5) need a mag, cleaning stuff, a bag, or a case. Why wait? Just go to the lgs.

6) on a <$500 gun, if my lgs is $500, online will be $430+$20 ship+$30 transfer+1 week.....ill pay the $20 + tax to get it now.

7) reloading: powder and primers in less than annual buy volumes are best found at the lgs

8) often they have a range with rentals to try before you buy.

Scorch said:
And let us not forget, without local gun shops, you all become employees of large corporations who can and will dictate your allegiance (if you want to keep and advance in your job).

I'm not quite as pessimistic, but big box stores sell/push brands that are most profitable. Small shops tend to push brands that will make you come back and buy again.

The LGS is a couple miles away, I know the owners after trading with them, they travel the gun show circuits and their used inventory constantly changes, so you never know what they may find.

I told the owner "if you come across a xxxxx id be interested" and sure enough he did. Some of the stuff he finds is grail stuff, and it seems like he is psychic or something.

I have seen all kinds of colt snake guns, t series hi powers, broomhandle mausers, all kinds of 1911's and a lot of s&w wheelguns go through there.
They have a lay away, and work with a local gunsmith whose work I like.

For things that they order for me it is cost +10%

They don't carry much in the reloading supplies though, or a selection of scopes over 9 power. But I can understand not having money tied up in things that don't move or don't move fast.

They offer ccw classes, and donate prizes for the local shoots, and other civic charitible events.

So yes, I'll trade with them even if they are a bit more than box/online stores.

In any area of interest, any retailer at all really, there are those who do it well and those who don't. This applies to large and small sellers. Large sellers may have a price advantage but it's not always so much. Cabelas for instance, usually sells at or near retail other than specials. My interests don't often coincide with their specials. Their main selling point is a better than average inventory.

My best LGSs keep their overhead low, having owned the building for a long, long time. The owners are usually present and the employees enjoy their job. They treat customers well and have a healthy customer base.

Out of convenience, I decided to buy a couple boxes of XTP bullets last week at Walmart so I stand at the unmanned gun counter a bit then ring the bell lightly. Nothing. A few minutes later I wanged the bell a good one. A guy comes from a couple aisles away and looks around the corner, walks off muttering about hating something or other. My wife comes looking for me about then and we wait together. Finally she calls the store on her phone and asks for help at the gun counter. The call goes out over the PA. At that point "hater man" comes running. Managers come running. There is something intrinsically wrong with this business model. The employees do not feel a vested interest in the store's success the way an owner/operator does. The key motivation should not be fear but an appreciation for those who are trying to do business with you. WM moved a step down on my list that day toward "seller of last resort".

Some LGSs don't do much better as has been pointed out. Some are like a private club whose membership must be big enough already. One in particular seemed rather grudging with their service even after I'd bought several guns there. Maybe they are under the false impression that I enjoy being treated poorly since I return. Or maybe that is just their personality but I do not trouble them anymore. There are too many other sellers out there who "do it right".

Last edited:
I have a couple great LGS around me so I'm lucky. But I won't hesitate to order online if the price is too good to pass up. I calculate the cost to include shipping and transfer fee and if It's more than 10 or 15% difference I'll go with online. But the bigger LGS has very competitive pricing.

I probably buy 2/3 locally.

How often does a guy buy a gun? So it's $50 or $75 more at the LGS. What's the significance?

It helps keep the store open for all the other items a shooter might need. Not only items that a big box store doesn't carry, but they're right there to be seen and examined for comparison.

And a good LGS can be a social center. Ever try to talk guns with a big box clerk? Or get knowledgeable answers to questions?

An LGS can have a gunsmith on site. Any problems with a purchase can be dealt with face to face.

And if you order a gun online from another state, the LGS can handle the transfer. Many FFL guys don't charge high fees when it's a regular customer.

Doing business with any local small business owner will pay off at some time.
I go out of my way to frequent local business of all sorts including gun several local shops. The fact that they know your name, what you like and are a faithful customer will most likely pay off with honest , reliable service and the willingness to do you a favor if need be.
Small business owners like myself, tend to reward loyal clients over time.

I know a guy who will transfer for 15$ + 5 bucks per extra gun after on same transfer.
more and more online dealers are shipping free.

I can avoid tax on a shipped gun which means any gun over approx 200 bucks is equal even if the same price as local.

I will give LGS my business but when there is more then about 20 dollars difference I will just get it online.

If it's more then 20 bucks Im not willing to eat the cost, and I seriously doubt they'll wanna price match something that's 50-100 dollars less.

Im not even talking about the smallest of shops, ya know the mom and pop's? They're so high I don't even goto them anymore.
This assumes the local shop even has what I want, which is not always the case either.

Nope, sorry, I wanna support local business but when it's costing me a lot of money to do so then no thanks I'll just buy the crap online.

"How often does a guy buy a gun?". What, you don't belong to the Gun of the Month Club? I can see a lot of the points made here. I guess it is a matter of life style. Like one of the other posters, I usually buy used.

Back