Super Blackhawk standard vs bisley grip

Have you shot anything with any appreciable amount of recoil? I bet not.

There's a very good reason why all you major big bore conversions use the Bisley grip frame. Because it is measurably better at handling recoil. Because it spreads recoil forces over more of the palm and allows for more control. "If you're getting bitten, you're doing it wrong." Or your grips do not fit your hands. Or you need a Bisley.
"Do not judge, lest ye be judged yourself."
Or, in interwebs terms, don't assume.
Just because the current state of the world is all about hating anyone that disagrees with you, doesn't mean that they're automatically full of crap and have zero experience.

I have owned a .44 Mag SBH since 1998. "Plow handle" in all of its glory. It was shot so much that it had to be sent back to Ruger for a new cylinder in 2012. They felt the overall wear was substantial enough to rebuild the entire revolver. So, yes, you could say I've shot it a bit. And I don't shoot mouse fart loads in the SBH. Right now, my supply of loaded 180 gr ammo clocks almost 1,800 fps from a 7.5" barrel. But I actually prefer the heavies. My go-to load is a Lee 310 WFN at 1,350 fps.

That SBH has not been the only player. I've also spent plenty of time with, owned, or currently own S&W 29s and 629s, Blackhawks, Redhawks, and Super Redhawks. .41 Mag, .44 Mag, .45 Colt, and .480 Ruger.
And a few rifle cartridges in TC "handguns".

There is a definitive difference between a 'plow handle' grip and a double action style grip.
That difference is being able to manage recoil with a "roll" on the plow handle. If you can't handle it, you're doing it wrong or have huge hands that just don't fit.
Heavy recoil only makes poor technique or bad fit shine through. It doesn't change the dynamics of the system.

Same thing for guys that bust their knuckles on square trigger guards. That's just bad technique - usually involving choking up on the grip too far ... as in a double-action grip.
Don't mess with the tool if you don't know how to use it.

If the gun points at your feet, you're doing it wrong.
When gripping a cylindrical or rectangular object, the human hand does not naturally point straight up and down, when held vertically at arms length and head height. It points forward.
You must assume an unnatural posture to hold a Bisley grip so that the revolver is on target. It naturally points at the ground.
The grip is poorly designed. It is a crutch for people with bad technique or genetic mutation.

Is the plow handle a good grip design? Arguably, no.
It seems somewhat silly to let the gun move around as a natural part of firing it.
But the Bisley grip was not the correct answer to maintaining control. It was a poorly conceived crutch that served to satisfy people that couldn't adapt to being part of the recoil management system for the revolvers.
The better answer was moving the grip *up* in relation to the bore axis, while maintaining a natural angle for the grip. ...Just like we see with modern double actions. :rolleyes:

Oh well- I will stick to my inferior grip frames. They seem to point naturally for me.

I have had just about every kind of Ruger single action grip frame at some point and we can even talk about the difference in feel between the aluminum frame and "identical" steel frame... I can tell the difference and I like the Aluminum even though you can see they are not as accurately made as the steel and the paint chips on 'em.

Let's all agree that the Shopkeeper grip is best not used in the heavy recoil department!

I’ve had a Super Blackhawk since I was a kid. My dad always looked at SBHs when we were in gun shops. He liked it but said he had no use for it. Then I got one and shot up a storm with it. My Dad couldn’t shoot it because trigger guard busted his fingers. I can shoot a S&W 29 better but it’s the short hammer fall more than grip. Triggers are both fine tuned.

A number of years ago I had a Ruger Bisley in .45 Colt. I was shooting some heavy loads, based on a 350 gr.cast bullet. The trigger guard whacked my middle finger unmercifully. Also has set up a 4 5/8" Blackhawk as a Bisley. After a few rounds I switched to the Dragoon style grip of the Super Blackhawk.
Thanks, Bob Wright. I've had the exact experience with the 280gr Keith in 45 Colt. I had the Dragoon style grip installed and haven't had another problem. I have 2 44 Spl and a 41 Mag Bisley that don't pound my middle finger, but I like the Dragoon grip better.

I reckon “birds head grip” is the proper name for it, yep.

Having recently discovered the joys of the .32, such a gip on a single six would be quite a dandy little bbq gun. For big boomers??? Heck no.

"Do not judge, lest ye be judged yourself."
There is a massive difference between saying, "I prefer this" and saying, "I prefer this and if you prefer something else, you're doing it wrong". In which case, I think you're 180° from reality. From reading the rest of your rhetoric, I'd say you really have no clue what you're talking about. The Ruger Bisley is the best platform for handling heavy recoil. When you're sending 430's down range at 1350ft/sec, there is no "crutch" that will make up for poor technique. Poor technique sends the front sight into your forehead.

Modern double actions are great, if you want all the recoil forces into your palm. Personally, I'm at my limit with a Smith and Wesson 44 magnum. A Ruger Bisley 475 is more comfortable for me to shoot than a heavy load in an N frame.

First, I am sad to say, I've never owned a SBH dragoon style grip frame (square back or hunter style) revolver. I do have a after market hunter grip frame that I bought from Brownells, but the screw holes were 'off', so never got a round to fitting it to a revolver. But I am familiar with Bisley and the standard plow handle grip frames. I have been 'bit' with the hammer in the back of hand with hot loads with the standard and some knuckle rapping too. The Bisley doesn't appear to have that problem. You feel more push/slap into the hand rather than a full roll... Now most (talking 99.9%) of my shooting is under 1200fps no matter what the caliber, so the plow handle suits me down to the ground from .22 to .45 Colt. Note that I don't mind the Bisley but prefer the plow handle. I pick up a plow handle, and it just feels 'right'. The Bisley feels 'ho hum'. Pick up a RedHawk/GP-100, or other DA, and it feels awkward. Personal preference.

I reckon “birds head grip” is the proper name for it, yep.

Having recently discovered the joys of the .32, such a gip on a single six would be quite a dandy little bbq gun. For big boomers??? Heck no.

I've seen birdshead grips on Ruger Vaquero revolvers in .357. They must be horrible to shoot. I don't think Ruger ever actually named the bigger calibers with the grips "shopkeepers" but I think a lot of people would know what type of grips you are referring to when one says shopkeeper. As far as I know the only ones actually called shopkeepers are the Bearcat versions.

Back