Super BlackHawk Failed - Opinion/Advice?

Verminator

My apologies.

Thread title changed

Ruger sent me and RMA. They want to see my gun. I want it back as it is going in a walnut display case on my wall in the gun room. They better send it back.

I don't want to derail this thread too much but several mentioned that Tightgroup wasn't a good powder to use in this scenario because it is easy to double charge with it.

That being said, what is Tightgroup's ideal niche? It has to be good for something.

Titegroup is perfectly fine and a very good choice in any place where a really, REALLY fast burning powder is desired. Think: small case & high pressure (9mm) or large case and low pressure (.38 Special). As I wrote earlier, it also works very well for VERY light target loads in a huge case like .44 Mag, where I run a 5.7 grain charge.

The fact that it can be doubled, tripled and quadruple charged in a large volume case is not the reason I say it is a horrible idea to use it in .44 Magnum, that is merely a side characteristic and easy visual indicator.

The fact is that when you use Titegroup in .44 Magnum at the top published loads, here is what you do:

You build a round that has the absolute MAX allowable pressure-- all the while returning the LEAST amount of velocity considering that pressure-- in a round who's pressure curve is irrationally quick, sharp and vertical.

When you use H110, you have built a round who's pressure curve climbs consistently and predictably in a manner that is specifically designed for a cartridge case of that size, to peak in a predictable and expected fashion -AND- return the top possible velocities that the round is capable of doing.

Using H110 gives you:
--top velocity, more than Titegroup could ever produce
--rational, predictable pressure curve, with no radical spikes unlike Titegroup
--powder being used precisely as it was intended, unlike Titegroup
--far, far more safe loaded round, with no pitfalls like Titegroup
--no ability, even if you dumped a case full, to blow up a Super Blackhawk

WIth the PROPER powder, you can pick a place to start...
See what happens, slowly advance the load and you can witness all the little things we look for as the pressure climbs along with the load data.

You cannot do that when you load Titegroup in to .44 Magnum!

Titegroup, for full bore top-drawer magnum loads in .44 Magnum is not only an awful choice, it may actually literally be the worst POSSIBLE choice of the popular powders widely available on the market.

If you are running medium 22,000 psi loads for cast bullets that have
to seal the bore quickly using Lyman #2, TiteGroup is absolutely ideal.

But full up loads are a different matter altogther.

Ruger sent me and RMA. They want to see my gun. I want it back as it is going in a walnut display case on my wall in the gun room.

They better send it back.

I'd get written confirmation of that before sending it in, since they may not want to send it back

I would rather Ruger not be contacted at all. I simply cannot see where there is any blame likely to be on their part.

I also have a guess as to what they will do:
They will offer to sell you a new replacement gun for cost or very near, much lower than you could get new from ANY source... but you will have to surrender the revolver to take advantage of that offer.

I would rather Ruger not be contacted at all. I simply cannot see where there is any blame likely to be on their part.

I also have a guess as to what they will do:
They will offer to sell you a new replacement gun for cost or very near, much lower than you could get new from ANY source... but you will have to surrender the revolver to take advantage of that offer.

If it's the owner's fault that it blew up, what's the down side to accepting Ruger's offer of a free, or cheap replacement? Do you think it's better to keep the damaged gun and never shoot it again? That doesn't make any sense at all.

I suppose my thought process is on a larger level, playing Devil's advocate.

Seems to me that Ruger has 0% fault and the owner has 100% fault and the owner deserves a trophy blown up gun and not a low cost replacement. I shudder to think of what Ruger's eventual step would be if many folks kept blowing guns up in this manner.

These are merely my opinions - I ask nor expect anyone to agree.

I expect nothing from Ruger. I just want them to look at the gun. Plus, they want to see it. But I want the broken one back.

I am looking for another Super Black Hawk. I paid $450 for that one, I will find another.

Expensive learning curve.

I don't think the gun had 1000 rounds through it. Still young. I probably only shot 250 rounds through it.

Back