Super accurate 9mm?

Well, you could spell his name right, Charles Petter.

The Colt-Browning bushing serves two purposes, it centers the barrel in the front of the slide and it opens up a big hole so the barrel can be assembled from the front.
It does not "lockup" the action, that is done by lugs at the rear, linked or cammed into engagement.

Looking at my real deal Petter licensed SIG P210 and other bushingless pistols, I see wear marks on the barrel near the muzzle where it is tilted to bear solidly in the nose of the slide, aligning it at both ends. It is a lot like what I see on the barrel in the bushing of a tightly fitted 1911 type.

I think it was Charles Petty who praised the Walther P88 for that binding engagement. That pistol has a big oval hole, but the lockup angle brings the barrel to bear top and bottom.

BAC's target Smiths are different, there is a band around the muzzle forming a segment of a sphere that rocks in the bushing so it is freed until the slide brings it clear out of the bushing.

Sorry for the misspelling.

I'm not the company selling a $500 "improvement" for something that mechanically can't do what is being stated as doing. Heck, even HK seems to randomly give o-rings to barrels.

Barrels tilt. Yes. But barrels aren't infinitely tilted until they wack the slide.

Let's not be pedantic :)

Once again, there’s more to the Orange than a barrel bushing. It’s a good deal nicer than a standard Shadow 2. I have both.

You seem to have a pattern of bashing every upgraded pistol CZ offers across multiple forums. I’ll say it again and maybe you’ll understand this time. Not everyone needs to justify every dime they spend on a firearm. Quite frankly, I feel sorry for those that do.

Just stick to your basic stuff. It’s more your speed anyway.

Just a side question, any 9mm that can compare to a good 1911 45ACP in accuracy? I have a Colt Goldcup that I accurized. Its very accurate, at least as good if not better than my Ruger MarkII bull barrel.

Yes, there are 9mm designs that can generally outperfrom the just about any 1911. Furthermore, tyhere are some extremely accurate 9mm 1911's on the market.

I have a CZ TS2. The trigger from the factory is amazing. My only complaint is that it comes with fixed sights. It shoots close enough to point of aim that I am not going to change them. I shoot USPSA and the targets are typically silhouettes.

If I were going for maximum accuracy, I would go with the CZ TS Orange, as it is the model one step above the TS2 and it has adjustable sights.

The TS Orange and TS2 Racing Green are both great options for not a lot of money.

As for high end 9mms, I own them all.

In my opinion, it’s nearly impossible to beat a Phoenix Redback for value and accuracy. Even at $4000 a pop, they represent an outstanding value for the performance they’re capable of.

If it is fitted to real target standards, it comes to a halt with breech end locking lugs and muzzle in contact with the appropriate part of the slide.

I see a lot of assertions here but no targets or scores.
I am not a bullseye shooter but when somebody says "super accurate" I am thinking of the X ring on a 50 yard target.

There is something missing from this conversation that seems relevant.
Just a side question, any 9mm that can compare to a good 1911 45ACP in accuracy? I have a Colt Goldcup that I accurized. Its very accurate, at least as good if not better than my Ruger MarkII bull barrel.
What I have found and what many have found is that if you have a nice accurate .45-cal target pistol, it tends to shoot most any decent ammo to a very high level, and as expected, if you find the "goldilocks" load that it loves best, you will find it's finest accuracy potential.

And high end 9mm guns don't tend to do specifically this part nearly as well. With a high end 9mm, it shoots average ammo just fine, even nicely, but off the shelf ball for both guns and the .45 may very well run circles around it. And finding the goldilocks load for the 9mm is a lot more work.

To say it another way...
At the load bench, you develop a top-shelf tight shootin' .45 handload and it's probably going to be phenomenal in all of your accurate .45's. But that isn't nearly as likely to happen with your 9mm's.

Others have reported that consistency in brass, primer, prep and tweaking of all the little things are a large part of the gilt-edged accuracy chase in 9mm, and .45 is a lot easier.

I'm not saying any of this to talk you out of a high end 9mm, but the 9mm vs .45 accuracy question is a valid one, and when it comes to "plug and play", grab a gun and stuff ammo in it, .45 tends to be easy and 9mm tends to be a helluva lot more trial/error and chasing the goal.

Of all the high-end or accurate 9mm guns that I own, the most bang for the buck has come from my Tanfoglio Witness Elite Match 9mm. This is a single action pistol with a pretty decent trigger considering the price point of the handgun.

That price BTW has risen a good bit since I got mine nearly 11 years ago. Mine was in my hands brand new under $550 in 2011. I want to say they run around the $800 mark these days. Still lower than the CZ's that are their direct competition. CZ is a far better company if you should have to deal with the manufacturer or importer, but my Tanfoglio is still one helluva great pistol and quite accurate. Most folks report that EAA sucks to deal with. But I'm not even sure if EAA is the importer currently.

Educate me. Seriously open to it.

A rubbing on a modern barrel is simply the tilting recoil action hitting the muzzle hole in the slide, no? On mechanical accuracy of lock up, that rubbing from tilt is post firing. If slide muzzle hole is rubbing just aft of the crown, that isn't accuracy stabilization. Lock up is at the lugs.

By pressing on the barrel hood, you can hear the slide push down on any gap between the rails, but you aren't moving the barrel independent of the slide. The barrel is locked into the slide until there is any rearward tilt breaking that the lock.

Bushing or silicon o-rings cant play part to stabilization. The barrel is already locked in. No?

The most accurate 9mm pistol I've ever had isn't a semi auto. :rolleyes:

And a 3 of my 9mm semi autos don't have barrels that tilt!

Every gun in the world is not a Browning tilt barrel or some variation....

Right. Like the Beretta 92 right?

But I was addressing HK and CZ vs something like the Sig X5 or X6 without muzzle "bushing" or o-ring.

However, even a wilson or LTT 92 hasn't been thrown out for most accurate.

So not being tilt isn't the factor.

Right. Like the Beretta 92 right?

Or the P.08 Luger, or the P.38 or like my Mauser C96 (rebored to 9mm), or several other guns I can think of.

When making statements about 9mm pistols, I think one should either be all inclusive, OR fairly specific.

Nothing wrong with being focused on the common duty class guns and their pocket counterparts, just SAY so, every now and then, so we don't think you mean every 9mm out there. ;)

Just my opinion for what it's worth. The vast majority of people do not possess the skill to match the accuracy of the guns being sold today.

But 44 AMP....are you saying any of those three should be spoken about in a thread titled "Super accurate 9mm?" You might be pushing my gears for little reason :)

Just my opinion for what it's worth. The vast majority of people do not possess the skill to match the accuracy of the guns being sold today.

While I do agree with you 100% on this statement, there is something to be said for knowing for certain that it is not your equipment that is holding you back in terms of function, reliability and accuracy. Of course some people can't handle knowing that they are the weak link and I do appreciate how in this forum the majority of the time when someone says "this gun won't shoot" one of the first questions is "have you had someone else shoot it to confirm?"

But 44 AMP....are you saying any of those three should be spoken about in a thread titled "Super accurate 9mm?"

Why not? They ARE 9mms and the non tilting barrel systems used offer at least the potential for accuracy.

True the sights and the triggers do tend to work against them being the most accurate 9mms possible, but the same can be said for a great many guns.

The OP didn't restrict the discussion to current models or popular guns and did state "any other suggestions would be appreciated".

The most accurate 9mm pistol I know is my T/C Contender with a 9mm Luger barrel. The sights are good, the trigger is great and the fixed barrel is quite accurate, enough so that in my hands, I have been able to shoot smaller groups than any other 9mm semi or revolver I've shot against.

It just takes me longer to shoot a group than it does those with repeaters..:D

Not the right gun for a semi auto thread though, even if it very accurate.

The CZ TS2 has one of the finest factory triggers I've ever tried! And I agree - most shooters cannot match the accuracy potential of the better handguns today. Doesn't mean you can't own a super accurate handgun, just manage expectations.

Back