Suggestions on optic for AR-15

My previous solution was an EO Tech with flip aside magnifier but it is now too large.

Some people say that a magnifier can be used with a 1x prismatic. I like prismatic scopes, but I don't know anything about magnifiers.

Some people say that a magnifier can be used with a 1x prismatic. I like prismatic scopes, but I don't know anything about magnifiers.
I have used a 3X Burris magnifier behind a Vortex 1X Spitfire prismatic optic and it works fine.

I have used fixed magnification rifle scopes, variable low-power rifle scopes, red dot sights, and red dots (or 1X prism scopes) with magnifiers on ARs. They all have their pluses and minuses.

If you want a nice, compact, 3X fixed power scope, the Nikon P-Tactical 223 3x32 BDC is a good option.

I find that red dots are still allow me to acquire a sight picture more quickly than anything else, including LVPOs with a true 1X low power. I have a reasonably decent Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6X24 LVPO but even at 1X power the eye relief is much less forgiving than a red dot sight or prism optic. But it is obviously better for precise shots at 100 yards and much better for shots at ranges greater than 100 yards.

I find that a quality red dot sight can be had for considerably less than a decent LVPO with a true 1X low power. The SIG Romeo 5 and a variety of Holosun models are good examples. These have motion-detection, shake-awake technology and a very long battery life.

The iron sight radius on most ARs is set at 1.41" above the top of the Picatinny rail. Many red dot sights and prismatics come with risers that provide for either an exact co-witness or a lower third co-witness. A lower 1/3 riser will position the center of the optic tube about 1.64-1.65" above the top of the Picatinny rail. Most one-piece mounts and scope rings made for ARs will place the center of the scope 1.5-1.6" above the top of the Picatinny rail.

You probably won't see the front sight tower at 3X magnification, and you won't see it at all at higher magnifications. If you see it, it won't interfere with the use of your scope so long as the cross hairs are positioned 1.5" or more above the top of the rail. With a red dot sight and a fixed front sight tower, some prefer an exact co-witness riser, which will position your red dot, when centered in the field of view of the optic, right at the top of your front sight post. With a lower 1/3 co-witness, the red dot when centered will be above the top of the front sight post. The back up sights will still be visible and usable in the lower 1/3 of the field of view of the optic.

I find that with a decent red dot sight with a dot size no greater than 2 MOA and a 3X magnifier, I can shoot with about the same accuracy at 100 yards as I can with a fixed power 3X rifle scope, or a LVPO set to 3X. Beyond 100 yards I need more magnification for precise shooting and even a 2 MOA dot covers too much of the target.

Last edited:
pblanc said:
I have used a 3X Burris magnifier behind a Vortex 1X Spitfire prismatic optic and it works fine.

I found the Spitfire to reduce the image size. I thought the Bushnell Lil P so small that one might lots of room for a magnifier.

Back