suggestions on buying a 308

Having made the mistakes I have, and learning from them, I would start with something that is in your price range, and may not be 100% exactly what you want, but has forward potential.

I would say pick a Savage or R700, something easily customizable that you can alter as you learn your preferences and idiosyncrasies. An action that you like and works well can be the cornerstone of a rifle you tweak and improve for years of learning.

Just my opinion, what I would do...

Last edited:
For the range you say? A howa 1500 with a heavy barrel is just what you need. A savage 10 would be a good choice too. The sierra 168 and 175 match kings are excellent bullets and theyre not as picky about powder and seating depth as some other bullets ive tried.

rebs
My Remington 700 started out as a 700 LTR , I changed the stock to the HP stock on the 700 P same stock but longer , changed to a Jewell trigger set at 10 ounces , 350 dollar Bushnell 8x24x40 scope . The rifle shot 1/2 " groups at 200 yards . Changed the barrel after 4000+ was still shooting good , changed because I didn't want it to crap out in the middle of my shooting season. At that point I had the rifle completely blueprinted new match barrel installed . It still shoots 1/2" groups at 200 off a Harris . I'm sure the rifle can shoot better , I can't at 71 not as steady as I use to be. Still love shooting and reloading. I forgot to mention the barrel is a RockCreek M24 5R 20" 11.27 twist. My one an only , love shooting it.

target

Rebs, I think for clarity, you need to address "target" shooting. Are you talking competitive benchrest shooting, or 30-40 rounds at the local range with your pals?

bamaranger
You always start out as a 30 or 40 round shooter with your pals before going all out . Knowing your rifle an having the confidence in your shooting to go into the big leagues. It's all for the love of shooting.

Chris
I'm still a 30 - 40 shooter.Been known to go 50 on a good day.

Back