Suggestions on a Shotgun for Home Defense?

re: the plastic slide button on the Mossberg, you can buy an aluminum one and swap them out. Not that awful expensive to do, I'm considering doing it myself
I know that aftermarket aluminum buttons are available, and I wholeheartedly recommend that simple conversion.

What gripes me, though, is that Mossberg has known forever that the plastic button breaks, and has never done a damn thing about it. What would it cost for them to start using an aluminum button? 8 cents, maybe?

Lots of conversation about equipment, not much about how to use that equipment.
Like the old saying, "The gun is the least of it."
Truly, it doesn't matter all that much which type and brand of shotgun you pick, as long as you get really good with it, for the circumstances that you expect to use it.
Someone who is expert with a single shot is better off than the other guy, with the latest whizbang auto, who has no clue.

Last edited:
Mossberg 500 20ga with 18.5" barrel. Mine's in the gun cabinet with 5 rounds of 000 buckshot right now. None in the chamber.

I use it for 3 gun too.

For HD every1 has an opinion about weapon and round...how about i tell you what i use and you decide if you like it or not?
12 gauge coach(some random Chinese model, but it's never failed)
Sabot slugs(i also don't have to worry about kids or other people, i pretty much live alone)

No complaints with the Ithaca 37.

Ithicarightside_zpsadfa08fd.jpg

I have a Benelli Supernova hunting shotgun that has served me VERY well for thousands of rounds and all sorts of crappy conditions, including mud in the action on one occasion, and it never let me down. They make a defense version.

Truly, it doesn't matter all that much which type and brand of shotgun you pick, as long as you get really good with it

Yep. Practice makes life better.

My personal favorites are all pump action 12s, but that is what I started hunting with and can operate without complicating things with having to think about it.

A 12 ga. pump shotgun with a butt stock and #1 buck shot. A pistol grip in addition to the butt stock is OK, but the butt stock is critical. An adjustable length butt stock is better than a fixed length butt stock if the shotgun may be used by people of significantly different sizes, e.g., a 5' wife and her 6' husband.

Back