Suggestions on a Lever Action Rifle

Shot a Henry in 44 mag a couple of days ago. I was impressed by its function and accuracy. The sites, despite the limitations of the design, were very good.

The owner put 3 rounds through basically the same hole. One of the rounds appeared to be a miss except I saw it pass through a previous hole with the scope.

@Edward,

I've never shot a feral hog with a .357 either, but I have shot and killed one with a .40 S&W. So, I figure the .357 ought to be fine.

I intend on target shooting with the .38s because they are cheaper.

My family and I have taken bunches of WT Deer with the .357 and killed a couple of pigs. Go with a good heavy bullet. Avoid WW Silvertips.

Big shrek, You have not priced A marlin 1894 in .357 lately have you?

Rifles in the Southern USA tend to go for a lot less than they do up north ;)

Especially in pawn shops...helps if you can haggle as well :D

I love my Henry - smooth operation from day 1.

My Marlin SS, a post-Remington model, has been in the Marlin factory shop since June 2011 trying to get it to feed without jamming.

If you don't mind a used gun that likely has a lot of action work done to it then go to a couple of Cowboy Action Shoots and ask if anyone has one for sale. The guns we shoot see a lot of use but tend to be in excellent working condition. I don't compete like I used to but still easily put 1,000 rounds a year through a rifle. I used to shoot as many as 2,000 rounds a year.
I'm guessing that '73/'66 clones are most popular with Marlins next and '92 clones, then assorted odd stuff like Spencers or revolving rifles.

Decision

After going to three gun shows, perusing many websites and blogs and visiting a couple of local gun stores I ended up taking the first suggestion made in this thread by @PetahW. I ordered a Rossi M92 from Steve's Gunz.

It's a 20", round barrel, blued carbine. It's going to take several months before it gets done, and it will cost (with the various bells and whistles) quite a bit more than I was planning, but I think I'll be very happy with it.

Henry 30-30.

I already have a 30-30. And the Henry is too heavy; albeit it has a really smooth action.

If you want hogs at 50 yards, the 357 is not the correct choice. An 1894 in 44Mag would be the ticket.

I want to be able to use the less expensive .38s to practice. The .44 Mag doesn't have a sister round like that. As to whether I can kill hogs at 50 yards with the .357, I'll let you know. Only thing I've ever shot with a .357 is a cottonmouth. Out of revolver. Maybe 15 yards.

Henry makes a lever with an extremely smooth action. Their customer service is excellent. Had a minor issue with my .17HMR. They sent me a prepaid shipping label to return the gun to them and I had it back within two weeks.

Don't get me wrong about the Henry. I love my son's .22 LR Henry.

But I don't need an 8.5 pound rifle to shoot a pistol cartridge. And I don't want to carry 8.5 pounds when I can carry 5.5 or 6.0 pounds.

Well, for your criteria, a Marlin 1894c is really the only option IMO.

An alternative would be Ruger's 77/357, though it is not a lever action, it meets all your other criteria (light weight at 5.5lbs, can shoot .38s for practice) and is stainless ssteel and synthetic stock to boot so weather conditions and maintenance are less of a concern. It's a great rifle, I have one and love it. The magazine is nice as well as you can unload the rifle much quicker and easier ot even switch between ammo quicker and easier.

I've observed the excessive weight of the Henrys for years. As a curiosity, with similar dimensions to their Marlin, Rossi and Winchester competition, where's that weight coming from? Lead-lined mag tubes? I also felt this "heavier than necessary/desirable for the round it shoots" dynamic with the now gone Ruger PC (semi auto) pistol-cal carbines (compared to the M1 Carbine "standard" for instance). Tiz puzzlement.

If you load your own, my recommendation is for 'None Of The Above'...

I'd go with a Marlin 336 'Texan' style in .35 Remington...

.35 Rem can be downloaded to .38 Spcl velocities with any .38/.357 handgun bullet...

My accuracy load is 7gr Red Dot under a hard cast 158gr Penn TCBB sized .358"...

Data here:

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/35r158_dat.htm

More Data Here (including downloading 170gr in .30-30 that I use in my Marlin 1893):

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

I handled a Winchester 1892 Trapper in 357 magnum the other day. It was a very slick setup. Much lighter than the Henry or even my Marlin. There was two down sides...

1. Was made in Japan (I try to only buy American)
2. Expensive: they wanted $1350.00 for the used gun.

For now ill stick to my cut down marlin and hope my son does not ask for it for Christmas.

I want to be able to use the less expensive .38s to practice. The .44 Mag doesn't have a sister round like that. As to whether I can kill hogs at 50 yards with the .357, I'll let you know.

.44Mag has .44SPL as its little practice brother...also known as .44-Cowboy around the S.A.S.S. target shoots...

Yep, you'll be able to kill hogs with .357Mag.
Heck, if a 100-gr arrowhead will do it at 250-FPS...a 125-gr bullet at 1600-FPS ain't gonna have too many issues ;)

Another Nifty option, which is FASTER than lever-action, yet still period-correct...
Is one of the Colt Lightning Clones...like the Taurus Thunderbolt or Uberti Lightning...

For those that don't own a pump rifle...you are Missing Out!!

The guys who shoot skeet with pump shotguns already know how fast target acquisition and placement goes with a pump...
you NEVER take your cheek off the stock or finger from the trigger...
with a lever-action, its MUCH harder to do that...the body mechanics literally force you to be slower!!

Back