Suggestions needed for 1911 frame rail cutting

George Stringer, If the information about having rails cut
on the 1911 forgings by a machinist or smith are correct as
stated by the ATF, I would pay someone to do this for me.
I understand that the work must be done at my direction.
Bluestheme@aol.com

Don't be bashful, use your slide table, nobody said that you have to take out all of the material at once. Use an end mill or keyway cutter and take out .010 at a time. This way you won't have to much vibration, you will have a straight cut to guide your finish work and you can stop short and finish with a file and stone.

My parents are going to order a milling machine for me, so I just have to wait until the mill arrives and then I could complete the rails with the mill. Where could i find a keyway cutter? I had a link on Grainger.com to one, but I lost it, and I cant find the cutter now.

Kharn

cutters

Try http://www.mcmastercarr.com or J&L Industrial Supply. My personal choice for basic cutting tools is Mcmaster Carr, their prices are fair and they have it in stock 99.9% of the time. J&L has more specialized stuff and is a supplier for small machine shops.

Woodruff Cutter

A Woodruff Cutter should be no more than .120" wide.
What we in the shop I work in think is ideal for the dimensions is-the frame rails ideally about .120" +.0000" -.001" thick and the width of the rail cutouts in the slide itself. The cutout should also be about .120" high =+.0000 -.001 ideally (all dims. are for match fit with slides we use). All dimensions are before fitting the slide.

Dimensions*
Frame _______ ____
I
Rail I .113"min .120"max thickness
_______I ____
I
Undercut of rail I .120" Ideal +.0000" height
I__ ____
I
I
*DIMENSIONS SOMETIMES VARY ON SLIDES SO PLEASE MEASURE SLIDE THAT YOU ARE GOING TO USE FOR ALL DIMS.!! Also measure twice and cut once!!!! Remember that the Dims. I give you are what we use and are not law-just what we have found to work for our particular needs.

Sorry about the confusion on my last post I tried to do a basic line drawing to show how it is supposed to look but the computer garbled it so I will try to figure out how to post it in a more intelligible manner.

Back